Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not against price drops. I am saying also consider advertising to inform people who are not knowledgeable that a Tesla is a far superior product compared to the ICE vehicles they choose to buy. It doesn’t have to be an either / or - it can be both. Increase affordability to those who are aware but couldn’t afford at a higher price but also increase awareness so that those who can afford but don’t have proper information also buy a Tesla.

IMO, Tesla will soon be seen as "Best Value" automotive brand. Not advertising and specifically stating that dollars saved on advertising are put into increasing the value of the car will contribute heavily into solidifying that brand image.

1681454219872.jpeg

Finally price cuts on S & X in the Netherlands, price difference with the US was getting ridiculous imo.

LR S is now at €105K and LR X at €114K.
2 weeks after the end of the quarter lol:
In januari they also waited until 2 weeks after the end of quarter rush before lowering the prices. Apparently there’s some eu rule that customers can request the difference back within 2 weeks of delivery, so it makes sense to wait until the 2 weeks have passed before lowering the prices.

2 weeks after the end of the quarter lol:

Haha yes 😁 and prices are still well above their lowest price points at the end of 2019.

Iirc the LR X was at € 95K back then.

By the way, congratulations to the Turkish people:

BFC91901-F56A-46BF-9550-B19EA9A1D7D9.jpeg

First Shanghai ship to Turkiye ever and Europe this quarter if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited:
UK advertising... just drive and you'll see Teslas everywhere. Bums on seats, friends & family, write-ups in Fleet Car magazines/websites eg Employees rate electric vehicle salary sacrifice most valuable benefit

There was overwhelming support for employers who offered a salary sacrifice car scheme, with 62% of those surveyed saying that they would not move to an employer that did not offer salary sacrifice cars as an employee benefit.

In UK, only EVs (maybe a few tiny hybrids?) are worth having as company cars, otherwise better to take the allowance as salary & pay lower tax than the ICE benefit in kind (BIK - which is huge).

I'm certain that every Tesla sold sells 1-3 more Teslas in time, which then sell 1-3 more Teslas...

It's gone from excitement at seeing another Tesla to finding it funny to see them in convoy on the motorway (normally white). Only an idiot wouldn't notice & those with the means should at least consider a Tesla for their next car - if nothing else, benchmark it.

I'm sure someone will try to convince themselves that Tesla has just decreased COGS in Berlin by 5-10% to account for this new additional round of price cuts.

How the world has changed in one year. I never thought it imaginable that Tesla Automotive would reach zero growth in earnings so quickly. PE ratio valuation will likely take a hit, down to 30 to 40. Mid $150's might be the share price for a year or so.

The biggest factor is probably the exchange rate. For every € Tesla received early in Q1 they earned €1,07. That's currently €1,11. That alone allows a 4% price drop. As for Model Y LR and P: an ever bigger proportion of those cars are coming from Giga Berlin. Compared to cars coming from Giga Shanghai Tesla saves 10% on import tax and at least $2,000 on shipping costs.

I'm sure someone will try to convince themselves that Tesla has just decreased COGS in Berlin by 5-10% to account for this new additional round of price cuts.

How the world has changed in one year. I never thought it imaginable that Tesla Automotive would reach zero growth in earnings so quickly. PE ratio valuation will likely take a hit, down to 30 to 40. Mid $150's might be the share price for a year or so.
The tweet you shared tells me everything I suspected about you, thanks!

IMO, Tesla will soon be seen as "Best Value" automotive brand. Not advertising and specifically stating that dollars saved on advertising are put into increasing the value of the car will contribute heavily into solidifying that brand image.
I thought it was the best value in 2013. Seven years/130K miles later when I traded the S85 in for the X I was sure of it. $46,000 cost after trade-in but not including fuel savings.

What are the latest rumors about the impact of Tesla price cut on sales of other auto manufacturers?

If people are so well aware of Tesla's advantages (or at least of EV's in general) compared to ICE options, the latest drop in prices should decimate the rest of the industry.

Things should definitely become somwhat difficult for all manufacturers and dealers due to the raises in interest rates and inflation, but things should go really, really bad for non-EVs makers right now. Not just worrying but causing absolute panic for Q2 2023.

Not only ICE makers should lose actual sales to Tesla right now, but buyers not ready to order a Tesla today should delay all car purchases as long as possible, simply because ICE don't compete anymore in sedan and SUV markets. Unless the public still doesn't know about EV and particularly about Tesla.

But that's not what I'm hearing from my contacts working in the European auto industry. How can they not know what's coming? How can they still manage to continue selling anything at current prices when Tesla is discounting all their models so fast without telling anyone about it?

Last edited:

14 months to the day since the two had this exchange:

I expect the next news we hear is that Elon will do a podcast with Rob Maurer, as discussed last year. Perhaps also with @DaveT (hope it doesn't interfere with your upcoming 5-mth RV trip). :D

BTW, the "few others" Elon refers to above may include SMR and Ellie in Space. All these Youtubers are now based in the Austin area. Should form a steady stream of FREE ADVERTIZING targeted content to increase awareness among potential Tesla buyers.

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
Sure...
Ignore the switch from RoRo ships to intra-European distribution
Ignore the reduction in shipping costs in general
Ignore cost of capital shift when you can deliver cars weeks faster
Ignore elimination of import duties when producing in Berlin vs Shanghai
Ignore Shanghai Q1 upgrades

No cost savings here.
Who are you replying to?

Last edited:
But that's not what I'm hearing from my contacts working in the European auto industry. How can they not know what's coming? How can they still manage to continue selling anything at current prices when Tesla is discounting all their models so fast without telling anyone about it?

Cognitive dissonance 🙃