Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find some people's expectations of Tesla to be bonkers when it comes to the price drop... In a Tesla group I'm in, a disgruntled customer wrote:

"I contacted Saskatoon today, which was not easy, regarding my disappointment with the price drop. I took delivery at the end of October after a 10 month wait. If I ordered today, the car would be $5K less with delivery in a month. I suggested that at the very least they could offer Premium Connectivity and some Supercharger kms. They were going to check with the Manager. Shortly after I received a text message advising there would be no offers or rebates!

(and said in the comments that he didn't expect a full price match, just free Supercharging miles and Premium Connectivity...)

My response:
"I personally find it refreshing to see how transparent Tesla's prices are - you know what you're paying before you buy, no high pressure tactics to upsell, no haggling. Everyone that buys the same model on the same day is getting exactly the same price - it's the most fair system I've seen.

At traditional auto dealerships, if you don't haggle, you're paying thousands more than the guy that does - even on the same day - but you just don't know how many thousands extra. And then the dealer pressures you to buy things you don't need, and have to play the stupid "walk away" game to not get screwed. Or you have to be part of some "old boys club" and get special treatment: some people like that, I guess.

Tesla went above and beyond and gave those who took delivery in the previous 2 weeks discounts (those were the ones who ordered during the Christmas discount period, but due to transport issues/admin delays didn't get it, since it had to be delivered in 2022 to qualify). I have a friend that was given $ back.

But 3 months... Dude, there are zero companies in the world that would give discounts that far back. Even Costco only does 30 days (and only match in-house specials), and they tend to be the most generous in the world with those kinds of things...

The pricing model alone makes Tesla a disruptive company... the only people that benefitted from the dealership model were dealerships, their friends & family, and those few who love haggling.

Edit: and the vast majority of people love it so much, I believe Ford, Volvo and a few others are pushing their dealers to drop the haggling and (though not the upselling and high pressure sales...) - and, of course, dealerships seem to be pushing back against that, too (I think forcing dealers to stick to a price is partly motivated by the massive "extra fees" dealers were adding to EV's in the US)

Last edited:
It's funny how when the stock price is dropping all we talk about is how much that sucks. When the stock price is going up, we talk about everything but the stock.
Up almost 5% and no emotion in this forum.

We are broken people.
Wake me up after 100%🥱
@chrsk has the right of it here. It’s hard to get excited about the SP going up a couple bucks when we’ve had weeks where it’s dropped 30% or more. It takes a 50% gain to reverse a 30% loss. Todays little bump reversed yesterday’s loss and then a bit more, but it’s hard to get super excited about setting a 2 week high.

I find some people's expectations of Tesla to be bonkers when it comes to the price drop... In a Tesla group I'm in, a disgruntled customer wrote:
You should ask them if they traded in a car to buy the new one.

A lot of people buying new cars back in October benefitted from hugely inflated used car and trade in values. Ultimately their net out the door was often roughly the same.

There was a person complaining on another thread that the price cuts plus incentive don’t make up for the drop in trade-in value!

Some random Friday musings with the stock up almost 5% on the day

1) been a lot of talk about price wars initiated by Telsa , how can it be a price war when there are no actual direct competitors(BYD is still not a competitor in my mind) ... basically the move was to keep production rolling and supply and demand in balance ... greatly increase TAM for M3/MY. Great news.

2) Elon has been relatively quiet and non controversial which is a welcome change.

3) This TMC thread has gotten very quiet ... I guess many of the speculators and gamblers have moved on after either big gains or losses ... long term investing is pretty boring ...so I like the decrease in speculating on the minute to minute price swings in TSLA.

4) as was the case in 2018-2020 we seem to have lost a number of prolific posters( @Krugerrand , @TheTalkingMule) from this thread in recent weeks-months .... not sure what happens to these folks ... why do thy disappear ? I am not on any other other social media so this is new psychology to me...
  1. do they get burnt out ?
  2. lose a lot of $ on options?
  3. know better than the rest of us ?
  4. sold their positions?
  5. get upset with mods ?
  6. obviously it could be something personal .... health etc.

5) Any way it feels like we are entering a new era for TSLA HODLers ... the future is looking bright.. we have filtered out the weak hands ... time for the steady climb... we have entered the next leg of the wealth creation phase

enjoy your weekend!!!

Last edited:
I find some people's expectations of Tesla to be bonkers when it comes to the price drop...
Someone also needs to remind these people that it cost Tesla MORE to build their car 4 months ago then it will in the next month or 2 when they build a new one for an order today. Tesla simply reacted to future commodity prices, raised the price, and now lowered the price when commodity prices are easing. Also, due to gas prices, it cost Tesla more to deliver their car. Diesel was almost $1 per gallon more mid October, so transport costs had to be higher.

"I contacted Saskatoon today, which was not easy, regarding my disappointment with the price drop. I took delivery at the end of October after a 10 month wait. If I ordered today, the car would be $5K less with delivery in a month. I suggested that at the very least they could offer Premium Connectivity and some Supercharger kms. They were going to check with the Manager. Shortly after I received a text message advising there would be no offers or rebates!

(and said in the comments that he didn't expect a full price match, just free Supercharging miles and Premium Connectivity...)

My response:
"I personally find it refreshing to see how transparent Tesla's prices are - you know what you're paying before you buy, no high pressure tactics to upsell, no haggling. Everyone that buys the same model on the same day is getting exactly the same price - it's the most fair system I've seen.

At traditional auto dealerships, if you don't haggle, you're paying thousands more than the guy that does - even on the same day - but you just don't know how many thousands extra. And then the dealer pressures you to buy things you don't need, and have to play the stupid "walk away" game to not get screwed. Or you have to be part of some "old boys club" and get special treatment: some people like that, I guess.

Tesla went above and beyond and gave those who took delivery in the previous 2 weeks discounts (those were the ones who ordered during the Christmas discount period, but due to transport issues/admin delays didn't get it, since it had to be delivered in 2022 to qualify). I have a friend that was given $ back.

But 3 months... Dude, there are zero companies in the world that would give discounts that far back. Even Costco only does 30 days (and only match in-house specials), and they tend to be the most generous in the world with those kinds of things...

The pricing model alone makes Tesla a disruptive company... the only people that benefitted from the dealership model were dealerships, their friends & family, and those few who love haggling.

Edit: and the vast majority of people love it so much, I believe Ford, Volvo and a few others are pushing their dealers to drop the haggling and (though not the upselling and high pressure sales...) - dealerships seem to be pushing back against that, too (and I think it was partly motivated by the massive "extra fees" dealers were adding to EV's in the U

Someone also needs to remind these people that it cost Tesla MORE to build their car 4 months ago then it will in the next month or 2 when they build a new one for an order today. Tesla simply reacted to future commodity prices, raised the price, and now lowered the price when commodity prices are easing. Also, due to gas prices, it cost Tesla more to deliver their car. Diesel was almost $1 per gallon more mid October, so transport costs had to be higher.
Before Telsa made pricing transparent you had no idea if you were getting a good deal ... and no idea of specific model price trends unless you did a crazy amount of research ... it would be a joke to even make such a request with a traditional dealer network ... you would be laughed out the room 🤣

I’ve never heard CNBC’s Technical Analyst Carter Worth ever say anything positive about TSLA, but he just called a near term $150 price target based on some charting ‘head and shoulders’ mumbo jumbo. While I don’t believe in TA, if enough people start buying based on his recommendation, it could become a self fulfilling prophecy. Bullish.
Can't stand that guy, but i agree some positivity from him might go a long way for those short sighted "gamblers"