Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Apple has expanded its California self-driving test fleet to 69 cars and 92 drivers, according to a report from macReports.

As for now, it’s unclear how Apple will promote its car. Rumors point to possible release dates in 2024, 2026, 2028, or beyond. Apple could also not be really developing a car itself but rather technology for vehicles.

😜

• Informative
Reactions: Criscmt and capster
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 4.15.04 PM.png

So this chip that was just shown was reported awhile back in 2020. Reports are calling this HW 4.0, but not from the packaging we just saw. No way Tesla is putting a 25 chip cluster into a single FSD computer for a car.

Tesla Partners Up With Broadcom To Equip FSD System With 7nm HPC Chip Packaged Without Substrate​

"Apart from being built on the 7nm node, the HW 4.0 chip will also utilize TSMC's Integrated FanOut (InFo) packaging technology that is designed to reduce overall package surface area and provide lower thermal resistance. Additionally, the processor will also be packaged using TSMC's latest System on Wafer (SoW) technology that removes the need to place a substrate and a printed circuit board (PCB) in the entire process. Via SoW, the HW 4.0 will be placed directly on the heat dissipation module, and today's report suggests that Indium Corporation will provide the thermal conductivity materials.

Initial production slated to begin later this year will churn out 2,000 silicon wafers with the chip, with each wafer having a 12-inch diameter and consisting of 25 HW 4.0 chips."

Fourth point: Every EV sold by Volvo just helps them sell more ICE SUV's without penalty. I think we'd all prefer them to buy expensive credits from Tesla to further the cause, vs. just allowing more of the status quo.

I wouldn't say "without penalty". While we don't know the exact numbers, it's a good assumption that Volvo has to sell the eXC40 at a loss before they back out the emissions credits. Still, it's likely a bit less expensive than buying the credits from Tesla but I wouldn't exactly say "without penalty".

On a related note, Ford management claims the Mach-e is profitable but you know they are counting the value of the emissions credits they then apply to their ICE cars.

Question: How come no analysts have said, "Ford is losing money on every Mach-e they sell, ex-credits"?

Double standard. It's fair for Ford to count the benefit of the credits towards profitability but when Tesla does it they call them out on it.

Last edited:
The sales of the single motor variant may surprise. Inter-city Robo delivery (think Home Depot) and Gov't/Military base vehicles would work fine with the single motor. I ordered 10 trucks in the hope that Robo-taxi is up and running (2 tri's,1 single motor, and 7 duals). The orders were spread out over 7 months so I locked in FSD at 7k/8k/9k.

I agree. The single motor will be in high demand as it's a SCREAMING value. Where else can you get a full sized pickup with a huge cab, lockable, motorized vault cover, built-in air and electricity and (this is the real kicker) a fully adjustable suspension with massive ground clearance for under $40K? Oh, and it has the same awesome damage resistant body and full glass roof of the other models! Oh, and it gets the equivalent of something like 75 mpg! No other large truck can touch it for pure value.

The only question is how long the dual and tri motors will be in production before a single motor is allowed to leave the factory. It might be three years or more if demand for the more expensive variants is what I think.

I agree. The single motor will be in high demand as it's a SCREAMING value. Where else can you get a full sized pickup with a huge cab, lockable, motorized vault cover, built-in air and electricity and (this is the real kicker) a fully adjustable suspension with massive ground clearance for under $40K? Oh, and it has the same awesome damage resistant body and full glass roof of the other models! Oh, and it gets the equivalent of something like 75 mpg! No other large truck can touch it for pure value.

The only question is how long the dual and tri motors will be in production before a single motor is allowed to leave the factory. It might be three years or more if demand for the more expensive variants is what I think.
I'm doubtful the single motor variant gets made this side of 2025.

How many days in advance must the shareholders be notified about the meeting?
Each state in US have their own minimum period. In some cases, at least 10 days notice is needed.

How many days in advance does Tesla typically inform the shareholders?
In 2020, the announcement came in early July, for Sep-22 event.
@Artful Dodger
Has your conviction on the split announcement this month changed one way or the other?

In 2020, initially the Annual shareholder meeting was scheduled for July-07, later moved due to Covid.
Anyone has any idea on when the notification was published on the initial schedule in July? How many days prior to July-07-2020 was it published?

Reactions: saniflash
Why do people do this. Now it's not a freakin surprise....what a waste.

Because he's an attention-whore like Sawyer Merritt, and will likely milk his association with Elon all he can.

Tellers of other people's secrets have disgusted me since grade school. And his blaming "hype" on retweeters of his tweet makes him a hypocrite.

Also, one thing to consider is whether this money can be applied retroactively, or if it's only for new installations. If it's only for new installs then this would be a perfect opportunity for Tesla to expand into those areas that are currently underserved and may not make much sense for Tesla to self-fund, ie. people saying that there are gaps in the mid-west. Install the European superchargers with two cables and maybe allow customers to buy an adapter for the existing superchargers.
I don't think this has been determined?

Will Tesla converting 10.000 stalls in the US get the same funding as building a new stall from scratch? Somehow I doubt it.

Just making up numbers here. $7,5 billion for 100.000 stalls = $75,000 per stall.

So with 10,000 Tesla stalls already existing in the US, with an adapter and some software as only cost for converting them, Tesla could maybe make $750 million almost overnight if they qualify.

If those qualify I imagine existing stalls that other companies have will cry foul and demand some retroactive money to despite this being slightly different. Not saying they should, but they would try. There could also be plenty of media backlash from the government 'handing' this money to Tesla.

On the other hand, if already existing Tesla chargers don't qualify why should Tesla open up access to those? If funding is only for truly 'new' chargers shouldn't Tesla put all new ones in a Tesla Supercharger Network 2 which is open for everyone, while keeping the existing ones in Tesla Supercharger Network 1 keeping those as Tesla only.

I completely agree with this, especially the 20% or less conversion rate. I expect 100% of the single motor reservations to go unfilled. Probably 90% or more of the additional orders will go unfilled unless flipping them proves to be a profitable option.

I have two orders, a dual and a tri. I expect to have the option on the dual first due to battery constraints. I plan to try it out, see if the range is enough for my family, and see what kind of ride sharing business opportunities are available. When the tri becomes available I'll make my decision on getting it or not. I have no clue if I will just keep the dual as my driver, keep the dual for ride sharing, or sell the dual and just go with the tri. A Y with the trailer hitch might also be all I need.
um, I have a single motor CT reservation, which i intend to buy, sometime in the future.

I expect the duals and tri’s to get filled first,
i looked at the cost of a powerwall or 2 or 3, and noticed that for roughly the same amount, plus excluding permits and installation and various rigmaroles, a CT was more or less equivalent to ~5.5 powerwalls, plus it has wheels.

my electricity doesn’t go out that much, but when it did hurricane Irma took it for ~4-5 days, along with a refrigerator of food, software is improving ‘n such.
i could be an “island of light in the midst of darkness”, a microgrid.

i suspect there are a bunch of folk who see the CT as an emergency generator and have PV.
(an old running junker Prius is actually a very nice ~50kw generator you can tap up to 3kw (carefully) using an APC UPS that is designed to run for a very long time)(lots of DIY folk repurposing stuff)

Other than maybe a primary litigant or 2, the only one who makes money from these suits are the lawyers. The rest just get Bennigans coupons. I guess there is no way to sue these ambulance chasers for harassment? But if any media picked up the story the value would be great showing that real TSLA chairholders are pleased with the way things have gone at Tesla and dislike the manipulators.

Years ago I bought a stock, I forgot what it was, some tech stock, and I sold it all few months later for a gain of a couple thousand dollars. Then it went down below my purchase price. Sometime later I received a class action notice saying I would be a class member unless I opted out. I didn't take any action but didn't think anything would come of it since I had made a tidy profit. I believe the claim was that management had made materially false statements that made the company seem worth more than without the false statements. I remember thinking the claims seemed pretty borderline and not all that significant.

A couple of years later I found a check in the mail for $2400. Nice!

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420