Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning a trip to Champaign IL on Monday, and I have been trying to figure out the best way to approach it. I created this spreadsheet to figure out how long the trip will take with various scenarios. I actually have the luxury of more superchargers than I need, but it is much faster to grab a quick charge at all of them (last scenario). Do my numbers look reasonable?

I am assuming a conservative burn-rate of 450wh/m

Why add so many miles in Rockford, and wouldn't adding 200 miles take more than 35 minutes? I assume that you are adding so many miles in Normal to have some spare in Champaign. Is there a Level 2 in Champaign, or even a 5-15 will give you 75 miles a day, so that you don't have to do that range charge.

450 Wh/mi is very conservative unless you are driving 90 mph, or the arctic votex returns. :wink:

Have fun!

That's a typo. Darn. Thanks for noticing Cottonwood. I need to hang around at Rockford for longer.

Rockford to Normal is a 200 mile run (rated @ 450wh/mile) , so I need to do a full charge before attempting that leg, although once I get there I will have a pretty good idea of my burn-rate.

I don't think 450 is that conservative. If it is around 0F, and I am facing strong headwinds, I am pretty sure it will be above 430 or so based on my cold weather experience so far.

Why add so many miles in Rockford, and wouldn't adding 200 miles take more than 35 minutes? I assume that you are adding so many miles in Normal to have some spare in Champaign. Is there a Level 2 in Champaign, or even a 5-15 will give you 75 miles a day, so that you don't have to do that range charge.

450 Wh/mi is very conservative unless you are driving 90 mph, or the arctic votex returns. :wink:

Have fun!

I agree that driving ~290-295 Wh/mi is when actual miles seem to match rated miles. At 308 Wh/mi, I definitely lost rated miles faster than actual.

Some earlier discussion had estimated the value to be 273Wh/mi when actual=estimated. Agreed it's definitely below 308.

That value appears to be what the car displays in order to maintain a "reserve" below 0 estimated mile remaining. That reserve is thought to be ~17mi.

Just scouted the Cheyenne Supercharger site. So close! The electricians were just getting their final inspection from the city and the only thing remaining is for the city-owned utility to come out and hook up the meter. All testing has already been accomplished with a truck-mounted generator. Most likely it will be after the weekend before it goes live, but...

Just scouted the Cheyenne Supercharger site. So close! The electricians were just getting their final inspection from the city and the only thing remaining is for the city-owned utility to come out and hook up the meter. All testing has already been accomplished with a truck-mounted generator. Most likely it will be after the weekend before it goes live, but...

I randomly just tested the supercharger page and then read this post. The supercharger page is now being redirected to the log-in screen. It should be soon (although Eau Claire has given that page for a few days now).

Up next:
Cheyenne - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/cheyenne
Eau Claire - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/eauclaire

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla looks to be installing a mobile supercharger at the Westfield Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, Maryland. Not from the east coast, but do you think this is a part of the store or an actual route enabler. (Tesla Coming To Westfield Montgomery | BethesdaNow)

I don't understand this. What is a mobile charger and why?

Merritt Parkway south in Greenwich CT rest stop is open. The SC has no power yet, should be any day now! Southbound side has week or two to go.

item.JPG

Last edited:

So that's it - per my estimation, the SC in Cheyenne and Kingman AZ is the last gap for an S85 to be able to drive from CA to Wash DC. I'm assuming that 175 miles between superchargers is doable with reasonable effort. There's an outside chance that I take a road trip from Chi to Tucson in late Feb and this would be the last gap. I think Kingman, AZ will go live next week also.

Woo-hoo for long distance free roadtrips!

Tesla looks to be installing a mobile supercharger at the Westfield Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, Maryland. Not from the east coast, but do you think this is a part of the store or an actual route enabler. (Tesla Coming To Westfield Montgomery | BethesdaNow)

Very interesting! Wonder what the power source is? Hopefully not a Diesel Generator... Let's see if there was 480V 3-Phase available, then 120 kW would require 200 Amp service, 90 kW at 208V would require 350 Amp service, both some pretty hefty taps on a local panel.

Also, see my post at Capacity of Superchargers Using an Erlang-B Model for some capacity estimates with small queues. The Erlang calculator that I used does not work going down to one stall of service, but extrapolating, the average utilization with a 2% blocking rate is about 0.05 or 1/20.

Ah, the solution! Because of the low average utilization rate, put one of the Tesla/Solar City Energy Storage Boxes in the mobile unit with many 100's of kW-hr of storage. Even supporting a 10% average use rate for 120 KW, all you would need is 208 Volt, 3-Phase, 50-Amp service for an average pull from the local grid. Its just a giant 5-wire (3 lines, neutral, and ground) UMC with storage! :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

So that's it - per my estimation, the SC in Cheyenne and Kingman AZ is the last gap for an S85 to be able to drive from CA to Wash DC. I'm assuming that 175 miles between superchargers is doable with reasonable effort. There's an outside chance that I take a road trip from Chi to Tucson in late Feb and this would be the last gap. I think Kingman, AZ will go live next week also.

Woo-hoo for long distance free roadtrips!

Also, Moab should be on-line in a week or so. Have fun, but respect the Cheyenne to Silverthorne section; remember that there are an extra 35 rated miles of potential energy to get to the top of Eisenhower Tunnel at 11,000 feet from Cheyenne at 6,000 feet, and headwinds can be fierce on that climb. My advice is to plan an overnight in Boulder or Denver and do a range charge while you sleep; with that, its a breeze! (pun intended)

From that area before Calif - this has got to be a store. A very busy Mall in a very busy area - high end stores. Guessing because it would be a great spot for a store. Near D.C beltway and I 270 which connects to I 70 about 40 miles north.

Another argument is that it is a full SC which would get you to Hagerstown from D.C. - still, it is very close to D.C. But I'm guessing a store location. Traveling through that area to go North/South or NW/South - this would be extremely inconvenient to recharge - worst traffic - lots of delays day and night.

I randomly just tested the supercharger page and then read this post. The supercharger page is now being redirected to the log-in screen. It should be soon (although Eau Claire has given that page for a few days now).

Up next:
Cheyenne - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/cheyenne
Eau Claire - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/eauclaire

- - - Updated - - -

I don't understand this. What is a mobile charger and why?
sweet, let us know when those pages get to the point where they have a random squiggly line route that requires off-roaming and/or hovercraft capabilities and mimics precisely the routing to get to the Fremont location....

then we will really know they are close to done!

The Montgomery Mall is in the inner ring of the DC suburbs. There's no way that you'd put a single stall supercharger there as a route enabler OR as part of the store...unless you had a very specific purpose in mind. Tesla clearly has a stunt

On a day to day basis, this stall would be completely unable to keep up with demand.