Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of blink EVSEs have handicapped spaces. I've never understood the logic there. The laws are pretty clear - exclusively for disabled drivers. It's one thing when it comes to building access but an EVSE? It's also interesting that blink has 2flavors of charger pedastle - accessible and regular (inaccessible???). Kind of stupid - make them all accessible, it doesn't cost anything.

With the NC charger complete, it looks to me like nearly the entire eastern time zone of the US can get anywhere else in the eastern time zone of the US (with 85kWh). Excluded are extreme NW Georgia, extreme northern Michigan, extreme northern NY (near Montreal), extreme northern Maine, and part of Kentucky.
Re Maine: from East Greenwich, you can get to the state capitol in Augusta on a good day (230 miles). About three-quarters of the state lies beyond, including important tourist areas of Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park and Mount Katahdin/Baxter State Park. That said, Tesla has a plan for Maine which is far, far better than the first sketch, so it's just a matter of time.

Problem is: these are not 'parking' spaces. These are 'charging' spaces. There are no 'handicapped only' spots next to gas pumps.

Handicap parking allotments are a good thing - but I don't think these should be considered parking spaces so local laws regarding designation probably should be re-thought in this situation.

(Maybe 'not being able to charge' could be considered a 'handicap'.)

In case anyone is interested, and maybe a little OT, but here are the stats from my supercharged drive from the Twin Cities MN to Champaign IL

Screen Shot 2014-01-19 at 9.47.20 PM.png

Photos of Buckeye AZ today 1-19-2014. The crew was working there today. They said that Yuma was almost done???? WHAT??? WOW!! I'll be looking into that as soon as possible!! i was supposed to get some photos messaged to me as soon as construction started!! Does any one know anything more about Yuma AZ? In the meantime enjoy those new photos of Buckeye AZ!

IMG_8933.jpg
IMG_8934.jpg
IMG_8936.jpg
IMG_8937.jpg
IMG_8938.jpg
IMG_8940.jpg
IMG_8941.jpg
IMG_8943.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

It has been confirmed by the Hilton Garden front desk tonight 9:15 PM MST that the Supercharger construction a in Yuma AZ is well underway. AWESOME. I hope to get some photos messaged to me tomorrow. I'll post asap!!

With the NC charger complete, it looks to me like nearly the entire eastern time zone of the US can get anywhere else in the eastern time zone of the US (with 85kWh). Excluded are extreme NW Georgia, extreme northern Michigan, extreme northern NY (near Montreal), extreme northern Maine, and part of Kentucky.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and Key West, of course...
Uhh, perhaps "nearly" but you missed out on most of eastern Tennessee and Kentucky. But at least they are coming closer. Maybe now that Elon's trip is covered some thought will be given for other corridors like the I75 and I55 or the 110/20/30.

Uhh, perhaps "nearly" but you missed out on most of eastern Tennessee and Kentucky. But at least they are coming closer. Maybe now that Elon's trip is covered some thought will be given for other corridors like the I75 and I55 or the 110/20/30.

Eastern Tennessee is in range, but I'm not sure where exactly the timezone barrier is, and I did mention Kentucky.

They said that Yuma was almost done???? WHAT??? WOW!! I'll be looking into that as soon as possible!! i was supposed to get some photos messaged to me as soon as construction started!! Does any one know anything more about Yuma AZ?
It has been confirmed by the Hilton Garden front desk tonight 9:15 PM MST that the Supercharger construction a in Yuma AZ is well underway. AWESOME. I hope to get some photos messaged to me tomorrow. I'll post asap!!
See posts here: Yuma AZ Supercharger

Eastern Tennessee is in range, but I'm not sure where exactly the timezone barrier is, and I did mention Kentucky.
Unfortunately I do not think that is true as there is no road directly from NE Tennessee to the nearest one in NC. It appears I will remain in a hole as even after the build up I could not make it to Pittsburgh Pa or Tylertown MS without an hour or two reroute PLUS charging time. Both of those routes are to visit family and Superchargers are not on the right routes for us.

timezone.jpg

timezonemap.gif

Hope that helps, You might make it to Bristol from a supercharger (you have to come over a mountain range) but you sure won't be coming to Knoxville from a supercharger anytime soon (not until Asheville, NC gets a supercharger).

As to Chattanooga they won't be accessible from a supercharger until the Atlanta metro area gets it's ring of 3 or 4 supercharger locations.

And even after Georgia and North Carolina are covered with superchargers if you make the mistake of driving to Knoxville you'll be stuck on L2 charging for quite a while before you can make the return trip south or east to get back to the supercharger network.

Oh, and I feel sorry for anyone trying to drive from Nashville to Memphis in a Model S even after both cities get a supercharger. Looks like late 2015 or sometime in 2016 before that trip is doable and even then you might have to stop for a L2 along the way (I'm guessing about 220 miles between the superchargers but it might be worse depending on where in each city the plant the dot).

Last edited:
I am planning a trip to Champaign IL on Monday, and I have been trying to figure out the best way to approach it. I created this spreadsheet ...

In case you find it useful, here's the most recent trip that I've built from my spreadsheet. You might find it useful, you might not. I've found it very useful. It's intentionally fairly conservative.

Quick user's guide:

First: Read through the below, updating any fields that say "Set" below.
  1. Colored values are calculated, except for N2.
  2. N2: Set the max range you want to charge. I only do 90% (Daily) charges, and mine currently caps at around 216. So I use 215...roundish number.
  3. K2: Set the rated consumption. Some say 312. Some say 308. Some say < 300. I use 300 as a nice round number.
  4. I2: Specify the minimum voltage at the charging locations. I've seen 192V before, but usually 208V is the lowest I see.
  5. F2: Take your typical consumption rate and inflate it slightly (like round up by 10-15 Wh/mi).
  6. H2: (Calculated) Tells you how much padding you've specified vs. Rated.
  7. A: (Optional) Phone number for location.
  8. B: (Optional) Name of location.
  9. C: Set addresses of all the places you intend to stop. Makes for easier management while travelling to have them here.
  10. D: Set the amperage of the charging location. Note that for superchargers you want twiddle with the number until column I (Charge rate in mph) looks "right" to you.
  11. E: Set the distance to arrive to a given location from the location on the preceding line.
  12. F: Set your average speed of travel.
  13. G: (Calculated) Drive duration to this location.
  14. H: (Calculated) Estimate of rated miles spent to reach this location.
  15. I: (Calculated) Charge rate at this location, in mph.
  16. J: Set all these to zero. We'll come back to this.
  17. K: (Calculated) Rated miles added at this location.
  18. L: (Calculated, except first location) Arrival time for this location.
  19. M: (Calculated, except first location) Arrival rated miles.
  20. N: (Calculated) Departure rated miles.
  21. O: (Calculated) Departure time.
  22. P: (Optional) Notes, like business hours or whatever.

Second: Save. You just typed a lot and you don't want to lose it.

Third: You probably see negative numbers in column M that get progressively worse as you look down the locations. This means you can't make the trip with a single charge (duh). Your mission: Make all those numbers positive, and ideally with at least 10 rated miles of buffer. Find the first negative value in column M. On the preceding row put 15 ("15 minutes") in column J. If that's not enough, try 30. Repeat until all of column M is positive numbers.

When building my column J, I use increments of 15min but you can use 5min or 1min or 0.1 minutes if you like. I generally try to "roughly minimize" each J column. When I'm all done I look at the Arrive time for my final location. If that's way wrong (like late to an appointment) then the trip is in trouble.

After you've built this out, you might be missing one key component: Sleep. Look at the Leave column and figure out where you want to stay at night and grow the "Charge duration" to account for sleeping, eating, etc. The N2 field that you filled out earlier will prevent the rest of the N column from having absurd values.

Sidenote: This post is mildly on-topic because my example spreadsheet contains only superchargers. ;)

Attachments

• Trip.xlsx
    14 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Stopped by the Greenwich CT Supercharger this morning and met Mark and Peter as they were putting the finishing touches and getting final sign offs for the Northbound Superchargers. The word is that by the end of the day today it should be energized! The southbound plaza is not due to open for 2 - 3 weeks but the superchargers there are set to be final approved today as well and should go online as soon as the service plaza opens.

Mark works for the General Contractor who is responsible for the nationwide supercharger network. He is directly responsible for the Midwest and Northeast installations. I was able to garner some interesting pieces of information.

1- They are working on getting agreement with MA for a SC at the Charlton Service Plaza on I90 just East of I84. The issue here seems to be that there is an ADA issue. The location the plaza would like to be the SC location is far from the food services (McDonalds) which in my opinion is terrific as the SC will be less likely to be Iced. However, the Plaza would like a handicap accessible path/ramp be created. Evidently this is logistically difficult so negotiations are ongoing. I suggested that Tesla explain that SC are not parking spots but refueling locations. Gas pumps do not require handicap access from the pumps to food services. Certainly as long as the SC are handicap accessible and there are parking locations need the food services then this should facilitate access. Mark was intrigued by my take but who knows if the authorities in MA will be similarly intrigued.

2- I asked him about the Albany location and he suggested that Colonie Center sounded familiar. At this point that location is just waiting for the lease to be signed. Tesla has signed it they are simply waiting for it to be returned. Mark said that once this is signed they are ready to go as the equipment is already staged. This location could be online in February.

3- Edison there is a whole thread on Edison and as we know the last meeting of the zoning board was postponed. It seems that the gentleman who had a concern regarding the aesthetics of the screen was on vacation. Mark is hopeful that the revised design will be approved next week. Evidently there is a local process that needs to take place after approval takes place that could take a few weeks but Mark was hopeful that this site will be online in March.

4- I asked about White River Junction and who did not have any info on this site however he did say that work is being done to secure a Nashua site so hopefully this will be installed soon.

Anyway that is my brain dump!

I think we're going to get a big push here in the next few days (if not sooner). Check out all the locations that prompt you to sign in!

Hagerstown, MD - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/hagerstown
Syosset, NY - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/syosset
Eau Claire, WI - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/eauclaire
Moab, UT - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/moab
Kingman, AZ - www.teslamotors.com/supercharger/kingman

We need to find more under construction locations. We're running out! - Superchargers

Stopped by the Greenwich CT Supercharger this morning and met Mark and Peter as they were putting the finishing touches and getting final sign offs for the Northbound Superchargers. The word is that by the end of the day today it should be energized! The southbound plaza is not due to open for 2 - 3 weeks but the superchargers there are set to be final approved today as well and should go online as soon as the service plaza opens.

Mark works for the General Contractor who is responsible for the nationwide supercharger network. He is directly responsible for the Midwest and Northeast installations. I was able to garner some interesting pieces of information.

1- They are working on getting agreement with MA for a SC at the Charlton Service Plaza on I90 just East of I84. The issue here seems to be that there is an ADA issue. The location the plaza would like to be the SC location is far from the food services (McDonalds) which in my opinion is terrific as the SC will be less likely to be Iced. However, the Plaza would like a handicap accessible path/ramp be created. Evidently this is logistically difficult so negotiations are ongoing. I suggested that Tesla explain that SC are not parking spots but refueling locations. Gas pumps do not require handicap access from the pumps to food services. Certainly as long as the SC are handicap accessible and there are parking locations need the food services then this should facilitate access. Mark was intrigued by my take but who knows if the authorities in MA will be similarly intrigued.

2- I asked him about the Albany location and he suggested that Colonie Center sounded familiar. At this point that location is just waiting for the lease to be signed. Tesla has signed it they are simply waiting for it to be returned. Mark said that once this is signed they are ready to go as the equipment is already staged. This location could be online in February.

3- Edison there is a whole thread on Edison and as we know the last meeting of the zoning board was postponed. It seems that the gentleman who had a concern regarding the aesthetics of the screen was on vacation. Mark is hopeful that the revised design will be approved next week. Evidently there is a local process that needs to take place after approval takes place that could take a few weeks but Mark was hopeful that this site will be online in March.

4- I asked about White River Junction and who did not have any info on this site however he did say that work is being done to secure a Nashua site so hopefully this will be installed soon.

Anyway that is my brain dump!
The Charlton and Nashua sites sound good, and hopefully White River Junction will happen as well.
We still need a way to get to the Cape though, but since neither of those locations are on the map, perhaps another will appear south of Boston.