Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Google maps states 175 miles from Macedonia, Ohio to Somerset, Pa. . Cranberry is not really needed.

Actually, it is possible, but not comfortably, and not without risking problem stories from MS owners.

My new, proposed rule of thumb is the distance (D) between Superchargers with a difference in elevation (A) has to meet the following criterion for an M85:

1.5*D + 0.007*A < 200 rated miles

D in actual road miles, 1.5 rated miles/road mile
A in feet, 7 rated miles/1,000 feet​

Let's plug in the numbers for Macedonia to Somerset. D = 176 miles, A (difference) = 2,190 - 988 = 1,202 So:

1.5*176 + 0.007*1,202 = 272 rated mile.

272 is greater than 200, so you need a Supercharger in between.​

I know that this is a conservative rule, but let me explain the parts.

• 1.5 Rated Miles per Actual Mile - To be able to drive 80+ mph in a 75 mph zone, deal with extreme heat or cold, headwinds, slush and ice, etc., requires margin. For an 85, 1 Rated mile is 290 W-hr; 1.5 times that is 435 W-hr/mi. My experience, and from what I have seen from other experiences in this list makes me think this is a reasonable threshold. You may not be able to go fast, into a headwind, in extreme cold with this threshold, but at least you can take on, and subdue, one or two of these range anxiety demons with this threshold while letting the others sleep.
  • 7 Miles per 1,000 Feet - This is the potential energy that it takes to get an MS up a mountain. It's real, I have calculated it from basics, and verified it on many mountain drives in the Rockies. Some will argue that regen is lossy, but that is really second order, not of consequence for this discussion, and I am always ready to discuss it elsewhere.
  • 200 Mile Threshold - This is for an M85. 80% of a battery that has degraded to 250 rated miles max range is 200 rated miles. After 80% State of Charge (SoC), the taper is just annoying. If you want to have a fun, quick Tesla-Supercharger-enabled trip, you should never have to charge to more than 80% SoC.

M60 owners will have to help with this rule for their cars; maybe it's just making the threshold 160 rated miles.

Although conservative, a simple threshold like this needs to be used to make Supercharger Road Tripping fun, and avoid too many MS customers needing to beg for a 50-Amp outlet at an RV Park, or worse yet, calling a tow truck.

I welcome comments. Of course, I would get them whether or not I invite them... :biggrin:

Looks like most of the east coast coming soon dots are already known. Standouts are the Norfolk, VA/Elizabeth City, NC area. And the fact that there is NOT a dot in the Edison, NJ area. Lumberton, Woodbridge, Hagerstown, Cranberry, Soyett and Albany were pretty much known. Can anyone else speak to the midwest and the west ?

Looks like most of the east coast coming soon dots are already known. Standouts are the Norfolk, VA/Elizabeth City, NC area. And the fact that there is NOT a dot in the Edison, NJ area. Lumberton, Woodbridge, Hagerstown, Cranberry, Soyett and Albany were pretty much known. Can anyone else speak to the midwest and the west ?

Ya, we're missing Plymouth, NC, Woodbridge, VA and then the ones up in the NE. Besides the one in New York state the others seem too close together to determine where they are (besides Edison, NJ because we've heard about that application thus far).

My new, proposed rule of thumb is the distance (D) between Superchargers with a difference in elevation (A) has to meet the following criterion for an M85:

Let's plug in the numbers for Macedonia to Somerset. D = 176 miles, A (difference) = 2,190 - 988 = 1,202 So:

• 1.5 Rated Miles per Actual Mile - To be able to drive 80+ mph in a 75 mph zone, deal with extreme heat or cold, headwinds, slush and ice, etc., requires margin. For an 85, 1 Rated mile is 290 W-hr; 1.5 times that is 435 W-hr/mi. My experience, and from what I have seen from other experiences in this list makes me think this is a reasonable threshold. You may not be able to go fast, into a headwind, in extreme cold with this threshold, but at least you can take on, and subdue, one or two of these range anxiety demons with this threshold while letting the others sleep.
  • 7 Miles per 1,000 Feet - This is the potential energy that it takes to get an MS up a mountain. It's real, I have calculated it from basics, and verified it on many mountain drives in the Rockies. Some will argue that regen is lossy, but that is really second order, not of consequence for this discussion, and I am always ready to discuss it elsewhere.
  • 200 Mile Threshold - This is for an M85. 80% of a battery that has degraded to 250 rated miles max range is 200 rated miles. After 80% State of Charge (SoC), the taper is just annoying. If you want to have a fun, quick Tesla-Supercharger-enabled trip, you should never have to charge to more than 80% SoC.

M60 owners will have to help with this rule for their cars; maybe it's just making the threshold 160 rated miles.

Although conservative, a simple threshold like this needs to be used to make Supercharger Road Tripping fun, and avoid too many MS customers needing to beg for a 50-Amp outlet at an RV Park, or worse yet, calling a tow truck.

I welcome comments. Of course, I would get them whether or not I invite them... :biggrin:

I%u00252Bapprove.jpg

Actually, it is possible, but not comfortably, and not without risking problem stories from MS owners.

great work on the equation, really nice to see. You've been conservative and that's a good thing. That said, from a Leaf owner, I'm well versed in how to span the gaps with precision by moderating driving technique. I'm pretty darn sure the cross country trip is possible by timing a few "charge while you sleep" L2 sessions at hotels in the middle of the long stretch areas. the question really is, whose going to be the first to do it? :~) the roll of the dice is the climate constraints, wind, cold, snow and Ice are big factors.

It's also time to place your bets on the total elapsed time of the first transcontinental, Superchargers-only run.

My guess
best case= 46 hrs Hawthorne, CA to Tesla Washington DC including Super Charging time of 10.8 hrs no buffer for bottom of battery. They would also save .4 hrs if they start with battery having 44kWh at Hawthorne.

If they keep a 10kWh buffer in pack at all times then it climbs to ~14 hrs of charging time (type B battery & 120kw chargers) (depending on state of charge at beginning)

Using http://www.jurassictest.ch/GR/ to get necessary kWh with 4 passengers and in eco mode
CrossCountrySheet.png

I reduced speed a couple of time so that a 60kWh battery could make it. Even then it needs to be fairly full to make it. (no buffer for 60kWh battery in above calcs).

You also need to plan for contingencies in case there is an outage at a supercharger, allowing the possibility of hypermileing (sp?) to the next one.

You also need to plan for contingencies in case there is an outage at a supercharger, allowing the possibility of hypermileing (sp?) to the next one.

I thought the point of the formula is to decide where to place the superchargers, not to assure an individual traveler will make it to the next one. I wasn't quite sure if you meant a driver would have to consider that issue or the Tesla employee in charge of supercharger placement.

Last edited:
My guess
best case= 46 hrs Hawthorne, CA to Tesla Washington DC including Super Charging time of 10.8 hrs no buffer for bottom of battery. They would also save .4 hrs if they start with battery having 44kWh at Hawthorne.

Nice work, daxz. I'm figuring that the Tesla employees proof-of-concept trip won't happen without a) incident and b) sleep breaks. I'm going to guesstimate those and put my money on 76:54 hours.

I guess we need some ground rules/assumptions to make this meaningful. Anybody want to put up a straw man?

Nice work, daxz. I'm figuring that the Tesla employees proof-of-concept trip won't happen without a) incident and b) sleep breaks. I'm going to guesstimate those and put my money on 76:54 hours.

I guess we need some ground rules/assumptions to make this meaningful. Anybody want to put up a straw man?

If you are going for a speed record there is no sleep. Just switch drivers and keep going ....