Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Phone Key

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it seems that Tesla do not currently use distance tracking technology available when using UWB so Tesla’s are still subject to being nicked in seconds using relay attack approach.

Two weeks then ;)

tl;dr turn on pin to drive

So it seems that Tesla do not currently use distance tracking technology available when using UWB so Tesla’s are still subject to being nicked in seconds using relay attack approach.

Two weeks then ;)

tl;dr turn on pin to drive
I wonder if it's simply for backwards compatibility with non-UWB phones that are still legion. So they still have to rely on bluetooth.
Maybe with time they can have a toggle to use UWB only...

Reactions: KennethS
I wonder if it's simply for backwards compatibility with non-UWB phones that are still legion. So they still have to rely on bluetooth.
Maybe with time they can have a toggle to use UWB only...
Well mentions that they plan to do that but are still "testing" it all. Kind of misleading though as they never mentioned that turning on UWB didn't actually stop it using bluetooth to range find and unlock the car. It was a fair assumption for most of us that the car would be more secure.

I think to be clear here this isn't a limitation of UWB, Land Rover have been using this in their key fobs for years on newer models without I believe a known attack to breach it. This is just Tesla not implementing it properly / fully at this point.

Two weeks as Mr Badger says ;)

Guess also maybe not in a massive rush on their side because Android's UWB API stack is still in Alpha so they cannot put this on Android for probably quite a while yet.

Well mentions that they plan to do that but are still "testing" it all. Kind of misleading though as they never mentioned that turning on UWB didn't actually stop it using bluetooth to range find and unlock the car. It was a fair assumption for most of us that the car would be more secure.

I think to be clear here this isn't a limitation of UWB, Land Rover have been using this in their key fobs for years on newer models without I believe a known attack to breach it. This is just Tesla not implementing it properly / fully at this point.

Two weeks as Mr Badger says ;)

Guess also maybe not in a massive rush on their side because Android's UWB API stack is still in Alpha so they cannot put this on Android for probably quite a while yet.
Because JLR only has to handle their own fobs so it's easier to transition away from legacy BT.

With Tesla you can't expect people to change their phones for the newest UWB compatible one when buying a new Highland (or should they :D ).

Also, makes me wonder if the nice Tesla shaped keyfobs they are selling online are actually UWB compatible or if they still use BT... As their isn't a model specific to new 3s, I believe I know the answer...

Because JLR only has to handle their own fobs so it's easier to transition away from legacy BT.

With Tesla you can't expect people to change their phones for the newest UWB compatible one when buying a new Highland (or should they :D ).

Also, makes me wonder if the nice Tesla shaped keyfobs they are selling online are actually UWB compatible or if they still use BT... As their isn't a model specific to new 3s, I believe I know the answer...
Well yes and no. They've not dropped bluetooth, you have to specifically upgrade your key to UWB and they only allow that if your phone and car is compatible. So once upgraded on a car that has UWB and a phone (iPhone's only) that supports UWB there is no reason to think it's actually fibbing to you and still using bluetooth by that point :)

Clearly I think Tesla doesn't fully trust their UWB implementation yet so rather than risk people getting locked out of their cars it's doing both. UWB when it can but bluetooth as a fall back. I mean it must be using UWB for the new automatic boot opening thing to work on cars with UWB. So we probably just have to wait for them to feel comfortable their UWB implementation works properly and they turn off bluetooth for people using the UWB key option. Bluetooth will obviously still stay around for all the legacy cars and phones anyway.

Yeah no way the Tesla keyfobs use UWB. I imagine they use the same approach many other makes use that if it's not moving for a while the signal switches off. At least you'd hope so. Maybe best not to assume with Tesla :)