Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla autopilot HW3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Copying my post from investor thread:

Thanks! Super interested in these videos, watched all of AKs videos! =)

Guess the new information was the EKF-SLAM style occupancy grid which I will try to analyze more, the sonar and camera road edge visualization was cute, but felt a bit dated compared with the rest. The neural network deconvoluted map was really cool, felt very modern and interesting! But my main takeaway is that they use the multitask CNN to do a lot of object detection etc and use the high level features of this neural network as input to train and to run a RNN. Which feels a bit similar to OpenAI-five:
1*GJEO9kKTXcGeNlrukRj7Gg.png

Note the LTSM 1024 units to the left, which would be the equivalent of this RNN and the input to this network would be high level features of the AKNET_V9 style multitask network.

This was new information. Pretty cool, but not super happy that Tesla are telling the rest of the industry the correct answer. Imo it seems like a really good solution.

Also liked the go on holiday and come back to improved performance quote. Imo that is something awesome with Tesla’s software 2.0 solution, once it is up and running it can only be improved and there are so many ways to work to improve it and the effects will ripple out to all parts of their software 2.0 stack.

Project Dojo seems to be a custom system for training Tesla’s neural networks. I wonder how much own hardware they have developed for this, I assume that Elon Musk gave Pete Bannon two task:
1. Develop HW3
2. Develop hardware for Project Dojo

We know how well he did 1 from the Autonomy day. I would guess he did 2 equally well.

I wonder how much these cost, would not be surprised if Elon gave a green light to split the budget 50/50 for these and that Pete Bannon has built some pretty massive amount of very specific hardware to train Tesla’s neural network. Don’t think that these will compete with Alphabet’s TPU 3.0, but maybe they will perform better for Tesla’s specific needs. If so Tesla’s moat might just have gotten wider. Maybe they could compete, if so maybe Amazon/Microsoft/Google could be customers/competition. Would be pretty crazy if Tesla decides to enter the cloud compute market at some point. Hyperchange should make a video about this! =)

To be followed!

A new presentation by Andrej Karpathy with content on Smart Summon and some insight in combining data from multiple cameras. Pretty interesting to see more detail on the Smart Summon app view.

Thanks for posting this. Karpathy is so impressive. What really comes over in his presentations is how Tesla is taking a pragmatic and coherent approach to overcome the practical issues of applying software 2.0 to FSD. In the Autonomy day the focus was on NoA and driving whereas it had only a passing mention here - clearly in the past from a development perspective. Had a similar feeling regarding HW3.

Certainly agree that the Smart Summon section was really interesting - it is incredible that they can do that amount of inference on HW2/2.5.

This is the first time I became aware that Dojo will use (uses?) silicon optimised for training that will provide an order of magnitude speed improvement. That will be huge. As mentioned in other posts it will be interesting to see how general purpose this is - I am guessing that the back propagation etc is common to the training of all NNs. If so will we see this chip become available on cloud services like AWS?

Copying my post from investor thread:
This was new information. Pretty cool, but not super happy that Tesla are telling the rest of the industry the correct answer. Imo it seems like a really good solution.

What secrets are you referring you? Are you calling basic deep learning 101 secrets?
What other self driving presentations from other companies have you watch?

There have been claims made here on TMC and on Reddit that HW3 upgrades have been done in service centers. It seems like random dumb luck that people have received them, and the only people that appear to have been able to get them updated successfully have been in the shop for other work, and the shop (allegedly) had HW3 units in stock.

If those stories are true, then it would be double impressive to me, because it would mean Tesla truly is addressing their logistics problems and someone got a hardware upgrade.

There have been claims made here on TMC and on Reddit that HW3 upgrades have been done in service centers. It seems like random dumb luck that people have received them, and the only people that appear to have been able to get them updated successfully have been in the shop for other work, and the shop (allegedly) had HW3 units in stock.

If those stories are true, then it would be double impressive to me, because it would mean Tesla truly is addressing their logistics problems and someone got a hardware upgrade.

Yeah I'm trying to reconcile some of the stories. I definitely believe some S and X HW2.5 cars have gotten the upgrade, but haven't heard of a 2.0 or a Model 3 getting it yet. HW 2.0 I think is going to need more than just the computer, and Model 3 is apparently set up with a watercooled computer so that may be harder as well.

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Have you tried to schedule your upgrade yet? With the last SW update it looks like the FSD computer now has functionality surfacing specific to it and according to Andrej's video you posted they are now targeting all of the NN's to the FSD chip only. 9:30 mark.

No, I have not requested my update yet. I am following Tesla's instructions to wait for the SC to contact me. But if I don't get the upgrade by January, I will put in a service request for it.

Hmmm... maybe I should put in a service request now for the upgrade and see what they say? After all, Tesla is starting releasing features now that I paid for but not getting. The longer I wait, the longer the delay before I get what I paid for.

I really can’t tell if you’re being ironic or not, because this is exactly the reason that myself, @electronblue, et al get so upset when we talk about AP2.0 stuff!

But yes, if I were you I wouldn’t wait to request it.

BTW that was a very good video. Thanks for the link!!!

You are very welcome. I think Karpathy is pretty good at these talks. And I feel like he is also a great spokesperson for FSD because he works with the stuff directly and knows what he is talking about. And he can give specifics about what is actually being done.

I know as the CEO, it's Elon job to give updates on the company and he can certainly give updates on other matters but when it comes to FSD, I think Tesla would be better served if they put Karpathy out there more to give the updates on FSD. Tesla needs to put out more facts and specifics on what they are doing with FSD and less of the generic fluff and out of context predictions that Elon puts out. And Karpathy gives more credibility to what Tesla is doing. I know when I listen to Karpathy, I think "ok, Tesla is doing some good stuff".

Reactions: jepicken and jebinc
I really can’t tell if you’re being ironic or not, because this is exactly the reason that myself, @electronblue, et al get so upset when we talk about AP2.0 stuff!

But yes, if I were you I wouldn’t wait to request it.

No, I was not being ironic. I was being serious. In real life, I tend not be very assertive and I tend to pay by the rules and not make waves. So when Tesla said "don't request the upgrade, we will contact you when we are ready", I said "ok". But now that the first AP3 feature is out, there is that other part of me that thinks that I do need to be more assertive because otherwise I could miss out on features I paid for. So maybe I do eventually get the upgrade 6 months later, but I could have gotten it sooner had I been more assertive in requesting the upgrade. Plus, with all the owners who will need the upgrade, it is entirely possible that Tesla could forget to contact some people so better to remind Tesla that we want the upgrade.

Reactions: jepicken and jebinc
Note: I put in a Service Request; "When can I expect an upgrade to HW3". The next day received a computer generated msg. and a note that the part had arrived and scheduled an install date by mobile Tech. Next day, received a real email that I have to bring it in and a date was scheduled for the 18th. On the Service Estimate it is noted "Group 1". Vehicle is a 2019 S75D.

No, I was not being ironic. I was being serious. In real life, I tend not be very assertive and I tend to pay by the rules and not make waves. So when Tesla said "don't request the upgrade, we will contact you when we are ready", I said "ok". But now that the first AP3 feature is out, there is that other part of me that thinks that I do need to be more assertive because otherwise I could miss out on features I paid for. So maybe I do eventually get the upgrade 6 months later, but I could have gotten it sooner had I been more assertive in requesting the upgrade. Plus, with all the owners who will need the upgrade, it is entirely possible that Tesla could forget to contact some people so better to remind Tesla that we want the upgrade.

We had to take our 12/2017 HW2.5 MCU1 Model X in for a 12V issue which required a new 12V battery. I asked if they would be doing the HW3 FSD upgrade while they had it and was told that they were not and have nothing on the books for upgrades for their service center as of yet. (Decatur GA Tesla SC)

Meanwhile I just scheduled it on the app (11/20 10:00am) just for kicks to see what kind of response I get.

Last edited: