Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app works on 2 ghz but not 5 ghz wifi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this makes no sense but after a lot of trouble shooting I have found the following. My model X is connected to my home wifi on the 2 ghz band on my router. I have an android cell phone and an android pad both with slightly different versions of the android OS. They will both connect to the car at 2 ghz but not at 5 ghz on the same router.

Both android devices work well on the internet with either the 2 ghz or 5 ghz. Anyone have an any idea on why this is happening. I have checked the router settings and they seem identical for both bands.

See here for a summary of wifi info. Lots of things can mess it up on the car connecting to the mothership, but the app doesn't talk to the car, it talks to the Tesla servers (or other apps talk to their servers (like Remote S and TeslaFi)). Unless you are using something different when you mean 'talk to the car'? The car talks to the Internet (to Tesla); it doesn't even need to talk to your local wifi except to get out to the Internet.

WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap

My iPhone uses 5 GHz and works just fine running the Tesla app. My car isn't even here, it's at the SC, and I can talk to it...

So, perhaps we need more information....

I'm with @boaterva. As far as we are aware (and I'd love to be proven wrong), the app always communicates to the cloud to rendezvous with your car in the cloud. They never do peer to peer communications on LAN.

So, it's unlikely to be an issue between your car and your phone being on different frequencies, or even being on different VLANs if your 2.4GHz vs 5GHz networks are isolated that way.

It's slightly more likely that there's an issue between the 5GHz part of your network and getting to Tesla's cloud, but even that sounds odd.

Are you 100% certain this is the failure pattern you are seeing and not a coincidence?

I know this makes no sense but after a lot of trouble shooting I have found the following. My model X is connected to my home wifi on the 2 ghz band on my router. I have an android cell phone and an android pad both with slightly different versions of the android OS. They will both connect to the car at 2 ghz but not at 5 ghz on the same router.

Both android devices work well on the internet with either the 2 ghz or 5 ghz. Anyone have an any idea on why this is happening. I have checked the router settings and they seem identical for both bands.
I found out the car was not communicating with the Tesla servers while on wifi. Even though the car had access to the internet it for some reason, I assume, it would not communicate with Tesla. I made a few changes on my network, not sure what worked but for now the app communicates with the car OK.

Reactions: boaterva