Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Understanding WiFi & Cellular Connectivities w/Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to get some general understanding of connectivity between my Model Y and the app (on my iPhone 11).

Example: When my Model Y is parked in my garage and I activate Sentry and, say, check cameras, I think the image I see on the app via my iPhone is coming to me by way of my home wifi (i.e., Model Y being on the same wifi network as my iPhone). Is it?

But then I wondered how the same feature--checking camera views in Sentry mode on the phone app--works when, say, I'm out to dinner and my Model Y is parked several blocks away: How is the Model Y sending the image to the app on my iPhone (let's assume my iPhone is then on cellular 5G, not restaurant wifi or whatever)?

Understanding this will help me understand whether/how a lot of the other features will work (e.g., Will internet browsing work on the touchscreen if I'm out of cell range and no wifi, etc.).

Thanks for any help. Absolutely loving my 3-week old Model Y. :)

Example: When my Model Y is parked in my garage and I activate Sentry and, say, check cameras, I think the image I see on the app via my iPhone is coming to me by way of my home wifi (i.e., Model Y being on the same wifi network as my iPhone). Is it?
Its going through Tesla's Servers (the car is communicating to Tesla, who is then sending the information to your phone)

But then I wondered how the same feature--checking camera views in Sentry mode on the phone app--works when, say, I'm out to dinner and my Model Y is parked several blocks away: How is the Model Y sending the image to the app on my iPhone (let's assume my iPhone is then on cellular 5G, not restaurant wifi or whatever)?
Same as above, the car is communicating to Tesla, who is then sending the information to your phone. It doesnt really care how your phone is connected, or to what, as long as the communication from Tesla is not being blocked (like what happens when some peoples phones are on a corporate wifi or something).

Understanding this will help me understand whether/how a lot of the other features will work (e.g., Will internet browsing work on the touchscreen if I'm out of cell range and no wifi, etc.).

The car has its own connection. There is no hotspot coming off the cars connection that you can use, but the car has its own cellular sim, and its on the AT&T network (whether you pay for premium connectivity or not).

In order to use some of the features, you will need to pay for premium connectivity, but even if you dont the car has a cellular connection. Its just a matter of what the car will use that connection for (or not).

If you dont have premium connectivity, you wont be able to do things like see the sentry cameras, or some other things. SOME of those other things can be done even without premium connectivity by using the hotspot on your cellphone to connect the car to.

Read through this page from Tesla and see if it helps:

Reactions: HelloJP and chermle