Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Suggestion to Elon Musk: Require override to move Model X when FWD is open.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Have seen too many cases where even the most knowledgeable Model X owners might back up out of their garage with falcon wing doors deployed.

You cannot back up a Model X with a charging cable installed, I think it would be reasonable to bring the same limitations to the Falcon Wing Doors.

I have already tweeted Elon. Any support would help.

Thanks

MXWing on Twitter

By “require override” do you mean that if Falcon Wings are open — for example, more than a few inches — that a warning message will appear on the center display and you have to tap on it to dismiss before the car will go into Drive or Reverse?

If so, that seems like a reasonable request. But then why not have the same requirement if any door or decklid is open? I realize that the Falcon Wings are something that people will not be used to based on their prior automotive experiences and they protrude away from the car in a direction that is extremely atypical, but I know from my own experience that a raised decklid in a garage can, ahem, produce an adverse outcome.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson
I can't fathom why you would want your car overriding your decisions even more than it already does. Most cars have door ajar warnings including for the hatch, and they all go while the doors are open. This can be unsafe, and it can lead to damage. I don't think manufacturers should be installing a door-ignition interlock, and the fact that it can be done with software doesn't change that opinion for me.

Reactions: tccartier
Have seen too many cases where even the most knowledgeable Model X owners might back up out of their garage with falcon wing doors deployed.

You cannot back up a Model X with a charging cable installed, I think it would be reasonable to bring the same limitations to the Falcon Wing Doors.

Thanks

MXWing on Twitter

Sensible idea. Have a like.
Override, rather than hard stop, prevents stranding due to a sensor failure.

Reactions: dogldogl
By “require override” do you mean that if Falcon Wings are open — for example, more than a few inches — that a warning message will appear on the center display and you have to tap on it to dismiss before the car will go into Drive or Reverse?

A prompt for override would be sensible if car is shifted into R or D. While I mentioned FWD, don't see the harm on adding other doors as a software toggle or default nature. Not a hard disable.. but override.

I can't fathom why you would want your car overriding your decisions even more than it already does. Most cars have door ajar warnings including for the hatch, and they all go while the doors are open. This can be unsafe, and it can lead to damage. I don't think manufacturers should be installing a door-ignition interlock, and the fact that it can be done with software doesn't change that opinion for me.

It's overall a low probability event, but one that will greatly improve your emotions (and pocketbook) if it ends up saving you.

I understand the reasoning, but think that the warnings on the driver display and alert sounds that occur now should be enough.

All the beeps and warnings pretty much sound the same. All it takes is 1 second of reverse to completely wreck your car. And the manner is less obvious when working with "Faberge eggs" versus a regular sedan just backing up.

You can't back up or drive with a charging cable installed either. It's not the same thing exactly but supports the argument.

Reactions: dogldogl

Thanks

MXWing on Twitter

I’m completely on-board with this idea.
I support this & think it would be a great value-add to the vehicle. It’s also very low hanging fruit (easy to implement).

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Switchable in Settings
FFS

Switchable in Settings
FFS
I'm all for any safety feature that is switchable in settings (I even turned on recent feature to prevent acceleration into your garage wall, but it too often prevented me from accelerating when I wanted to IRL, so it is off now), but if you haven't noticed, Tesla keeps adding crap "features" that are NOT switchable in settings. The more I think about it, the more I think this is because each setting exponentially increases the number of configurations that need validated.

I am seventy. Every car and truck that I have ever ridden or drove would have damage if doors were open while I drove out of garages and other tight spaces. You know what. I have never hit one of the doors. Never. And that was before we had the benefit of displays that showed a door open and often dings. No, I don't think a car redesign is necessary to warn those who somehow make that mistake. Darwin has to be paid his dues.

All the beeps and warnings pretty much sound the same. All it takes is 1 second of reverse to completely wreck your car. And the manner is less obvious when working with "Faberge eggs" versus a regular sedan just backing up.

You can't back up or drive with a charging cable installed either. It's not the same thing exactly but supports the argument.

I think a lot of the people here think they don't need the override until something happens to their doors. On Facebook, a lot of owners have apparently wrecked their FWD in their garage by accident, my neighbour being one of them. Took him 4 months to get it repaired.

I agree that all the beeps and warnings sound the same. For instance, there has been a snowstorm here in Vancouver, and when the parking sensors get covered in snow, they keep beeping thinking I will hit something, and I need to keep ignoring the warnings. After a few ignores, it becomes an unconscious act and hence accidents. Most of those damaging their doors mistook the "door ajar" warning for a "wear seatbelt" warning (because sometimes people don't bother with the seatbelt when they are just pulling their car out of the garage).

I think a lot of the people here think they don't need the override until something happens to their doors. On Facebook, a lot of owners have apparently wrecked their FWD in their garage by accident, my neighbour being one of them. Took him 4 months to get it repaired.

I agree that all the beeps and warnings sound the same. For instance, there has been a snowstorm here in Vancouver, and when the parking sensors get covered in snow, they keep beeping thinking I will hit something, and I need to keep ignoring the warnings. After a few ignores, it becomes an unconscious act and hence accidents. Most of those damaging their doors mistook the "door ajar" warning for a "wear seatbelt" warning (because sometimes people don't bother with the seatbelt when they are just pulling their car out of the garage).

However idiot proof you make it, some idiot will still find a way to wreck their car. If there was an override on moving with the doors open, sooner or later someone would override it and still wreck their car. That's just how life is. At the moment you have to totally ignore all the warnings (and they are very prominent in this case) to wreck your doors, but evidently it still happens.

It is a good idea. I was moving a friend's Jeep cherokee in a driveway. I had the driver door open, was just moving the vehicle back about 10 feet. After moving a foot the
emergency brake kicked in. Probably did this because of the park/rolling deaths. It forces you to act properly which isn't a bad thing.

Reactions: MXWing
When driving an MX, one can become accustomed/immune to hearing warning chimes and sounds. Requiring a button press to move the car with FWD open is a great idea and has little/no downside.

Yes, not sure why there is ANY debate regarding this. I'm very anti nanny systems but this is a low effort / low inconvenience / high reward effort.

When does one get something, good fast and cheap? This is one of those scenarios.

Making this post early before anything happens to me personally at least has shielded me from criticisms of "learn to pay attention, idiot.".

It's not MY car, YOU pay attention idiot. ;)

However idiot proof you make it, some idiot will still find a way to wreck their car. If there was an override on moving with the doors open, sooner or later someone would override it and still wreck their car. That's just how life is. At the moment you have to totally ignore all the warnings (and they are very prominent in this case) to wreck your doors, but evidently it still happens.

At least you can give up all hope and don't need to sympathize with anyone who manages to still wreck their doors after this.

YOU HAD TO PUSH A BUTTON TO INSIST DRIVING WITH FWD OPEN. GO TO HELL.

Last edited: