Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Stalk or no stalk argument [not] settled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, we should analyze the matter without considering that the brand Tesla is making these changes and understand from a automotive/ engineering/ ergonomic point of view that whether indicator in steering has benefits compare to stalk. If it does, I'll accept that.

Obviously there is always a trade off in anything.

Having stalk as an independent module that it's functionality is not influenced by the functionality of another module (steering). Ergonomically, we apply force by our arms to move the steering, and we operate the stalk by our fingers (not thumb). This configuration only make sense if the steering is round. So stalks works with a round steering.

The no stalk configuration is ergonomically acceptable if there is a yoke. And only if the yoke doesn't need to turn not more halfway. In this case your thumbs are always where they suppose to be to function.

Another issue is the gear Selector.

First, I don't know what how you would select gear if you break your screen. Second, if you have a yoke configuration, the intent is to keep you hands on the yoke all the time. But that conflicts with selecting gear because to select gear you have to take you hand off the yoke and touch the screen.

Another issue is that selecting gear on screen mandates eye engagement (but not the stalk) which again defeats the purpose of buttons in yoke.

So the no stalk configuration only makes sense if the gear Selector is also on the yoke and the yoke only turns halfway.
Screenshot (219).png

Last edited:
Hmm, that'll be interesting. Tap the hazard button a little crooked and you'll just mysteriously end up in reverse?

The 3/Y currently allows shifting at speeds up to +/- 5mph. How does the S/X behave? At what speed does the shifter appear on screen and what are the speed restrictions for using the console shifter? And does it still have an emergency brake function?

Strange that none of the YouTube influencers talk about shifting or steering. Remember all the rumors of a completely different steering system?
It seems like the PRND button rely on long presses for it to activate. Not sure how long but probably at least 3 seconds if not 5 seconds. Perhaps the emergency hazard lights would not require the 3 to 5 seconds long.

OP's logic is certainly backed by data. Yokes with integrated shifters and indicators are the most ergonomically ideal solution that humans have thus far devised. That's why this fantastic setup has been used on virtually every motorcycle and bicycle ever produced.

But if the operator needs to shift or indicate while the yoke is turned more than about 20 degrees, this is generally only reliable for the extensively rehearsed corners of a race track.

So yes, it's settled (it was never in question). 100% of humanity agrees (if you exclude that one annoying internet troll.) Stalkless systems work great for certain vehicles that are not street cars, and there is typically no benefit to a round wheel on these particular vehicles. People can certainly prefer the appearance or cost of a stalkless system, but there is no sound argument to claim ergonomic parity, nevermind improvement.
I mean wouldn't all the questions about how a stalkless implementation be answered by looking at video on how a model S/X handles these situations?

Are no indicator or gear stalks a deal breaker?

yeah, I didn't get the OP's point about gear selector as one does not shift up or down while driving. I could see an issue shifting while parallel parking and therefore the yoke is turned significantly, But then one is stopped before changing from Forward to Reverse (or vice versa).
It's the eye engagement required when trying to select gear if the gear Selector is not in the yoke

Last edited:
Your thread shows all the emotional passion related to the subject. This poll only answers one specific narrowly focused marketing question while leaving all the others unanswered. The Highlader is defined by much more than this. I predict the Highlander will sell like hotcakes. Well done Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: rpiotro
You should've done the poll. Your thread shows all the emotional passion related to the subject. This poll does not address the basic question of how do you like stalkless implementation. It answers one specific marketing question while leaving all the others unanswered. I predict the Highlander will sell like hotcakes. Well done Tesla.
I predict Q3 earnings to be worse than Q2

We had the same discussion a few years ago when all the instruments were replaced with a screen. Some loved it, some didn't. Some even thought it was outright dangerous.

While I am not too excited about losing the stalks, I'd rather get into a vehicle and give it a try rather than rejecting the idea right away. If prejudice was a good decision maker, we wouldn't even have electric cars today.

We had the same discussion a few years ago when all the instruments were replaced with a screen. Some loved it, some didn't. Some even thought it was outright dangerous.

While I am not too excited about losing the stalks, I'd rather get into a vehicle and give it a try rather than rejecting the idea right away. If prejudice was a good decision maker, we wouldn't even have electric cars today.

IMG_2304.gif

As I stated in another thread. Before I got my Model 3, I had never owned an EV or hybrid. I had to get used to:

No speedometer or HUD directly in front of me
Speedometer in the center screen
Using the center screen for most controls/settings including HVAC
One pedal driving
Pressing a button to get out of the car
Using a stalk to change gears
Changing wiper speed using a screen

I could go on. We b**ch and moan about a lot of things, then either adapt or get used to it.