Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on what Tesla is still hiding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So which variant are they using then?
I've no idea. They base AP and ice on the same stuff that is all debadged and almost appears like Linux from scratch of some sort or otherwise a custom "roll your own stuff" job. runit - a UNIX init scheme with service supervision is the init and logging that I never saw used before (but is apparently a thing).

They certainly appear to be building it from scratch every time.

I've no idea. They base AP and ice on the same stuff that is all debadged and almost appears like Linux from scratch of some sort or otherwise a custom "roll your own stuff" job. runit - a UNIX init scheme with service supervision is the init and logging that I never saw used before (but is apparently a thing).

They certainly appear to be building it from scratch every time.
Do you know if they're only using runit, or just using it instead of some default (probably systemd)? Is there anything else that suggests they're using LFS? My first guess is they could just be building a bunch of stuff with support for SELinux enabled and some other customization/s, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them using LFS and/or something else that's really custom.

Do you know if they're only using runit, or just using it instead of some default (probably systemd)? Is there anything else that suggests they're using LFS? My first guess is they could just be building a bunch of stuff with support for SELinux enabled and some other customization/s, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them using LFS and/or something else that's really custom.
just runit with managed services (the sv stuff, svlog stuff and the like). It does not look like a real preexisting distro to me, hence why I think it's either LFS based or is an otherwise roll-your-own thing.
Ah, forget about it, they are using buildroot, now I see it.

just runit with managed services (the sv stuff, svlog stuff and the like). It does not look like a real preexisting distro to me, hence why I think it's either LFS based or is an otherwise roll-your-own thing.
Ah, forget about it, they are using buildroot, now I see it.
So what you saw could just be a dev box (or boxes) building binaries for whatever Tesla's using in the 3?

Yeah. They're building stuff for whatever their target architecture is on another machine, presumably their new hardware, right? Or are they using buildroot on their new (Ice lake?) hardware for some other target architecture?
I don't have any visibility into that. The distro they use is buildroot, though (which is confusing because I had no idea there was a distro like that, and at first thought that was just the kind of build environment they had).
Of course they always cross-compiled everything in the past too (not quite cross-compiling for model 3 I guess).

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
Likely would still be "Cross compiling" if they wanted to bake in optimizations based on the specific CPU features of the AP2.5 / Model 3 hardware. This can be things like supported versions of SSE/MMX or just optimizations about aligning code to specific boundaries or using certain orders of operations to best fill available CPU resources with minimal stalls.

Members – Automotive Grade Linux

Panasonic, NVIDIA, Mercedes, Qt, linaro, Intel (many others) but no Tesla, nor do I see Google or Microsoft.
I'm just not smart enough to know if this is a good strategy or a future flaw?

I won't have much faith that other AUTO companies could/would co-operate all that much.
i.e. They won't get open source, would they?

And I'm not that clear on how the Linux/Android lines are drawn.
Doesn't Google still contribute to Linux?
Chrome contributes to Firefox?

I can hardly wait for StarLink - now that I'd buy.
SpaceX seeks to trademark the name ‘Starlink’ for satellite broadband network

I don't have any visibility into that. The distro they use is buildroot, though (which is confusing because I had no idea there was a distro like that, and at first thought that was just the kind of build environment they had).
Of course they always cross-compiled everything in the past too (not quite cross-compiling for model 3 I guess).
Haha, now I'm really confused. Do you have any links to the buildroot distro? The only buildroot I'm familiar with is the set of tools to build/cross-compile images for embedded systems.

Buildroot - Making Embedded Linux Easy

Haha, now I'm really confused. Do you have any links to the buildroot distro? The only buildroot I'm familiar with is the set of tools to build/cross-compile images for embedded systems.

Buildroot - Making Embedded Linux Easy
I was equally confused.
The link you have is correct.
They don't just have the tools, they have the whole distro in the form of "packages" that you can select to be built for you, See their screenshots. Basically you configure what you want to be included and then it builds just the stuff you wanted and makes a filesystem out of it. See their doc here: The Buildroot user manual
So it's not a binary distro, it's a distro that you build yourself.

In a way this looks very similar to openwrt if you are familiar with it.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD0g