Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Speculation on what Tesla is still hiding

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want every employee to buy a Model 3 before any are released to the early reserve customers. The result will be a better product for you and me. It will be worth the wait. Wouldn't you rather have a 2018 Model 3 than a 2017 Model 3?

Living an a RHD market... got no choice... but thanks to all you LHD beta testers, we know you'll do a great job! ;)

Well, the people who bought Roadsters were the REAL Pioneers, they put up with a lot for a very long time. And that SuperCharging was never going to be for them. I've suspected they only built 2,500 because that might have been all the Real Pioneers they could have found. Proof of concept - electric car could be better than an ICE car.

But what are some (is that more than one?) unresolved glitches do you still see?

I might note the following about Model S -
- hoped to sell about 20,000 per year (about 10% of luxury sedan market, seemed overly ambitious to many)
- Model S now 25% of the Luxury market - (50,000 per year by just the 4th year of production)

(I won't suspect people spending $100,000 would buy if "unresolved glitches" existed 0ver 95% say they will buy again)
Why would anyone "buy again" if there are "durability, quality, fit and finish, glitches," ??

8 year unlimited mile warranty on drivetrain [battery/gearbox/motor] durability?

PS- have you listened to Marc Tarpenning about Tesla founding? very informative.
Probably should pose the glitch and gripe question over on the Model S and X fora. And I'm not so sure that owners of Model S and X aren't still forgiving pioneers. Definitely less than before. But I think they may still be mostly enthusiasts who like the Tesla story, who want to put oil in their rearview mirrors, and have the cash to do so.
The next step in the EV transition is harder, the audience a lot less forgiving, and so the company has to be more cautious about handing over cars that are not quite ready for prime time (something they certainly were not cautious about in the past).
Yes, I've seen Marc's retelling of the Tesla origin story, and have spoken with him at length about it.
Robin

Reactions: voip-ninja
I want every employee to buy a Model 3 before any are released to the early reserve customers.

What about the people who don’t want or can’t afford one?

Wouldn't you rather have a 2018 Model 3 than a 2017 Model 3?

I’d rather apply the tax credit to my 2017 tax liability than my 2018 tax liability. Plus the longer I have my current car, the higher the probability that the power hardtop dies and needs a $7k repair or the magnetic suspension craps the bed and needs a $6k repair.

It was here somewhere... @verygreen @lunitiks do I remember right?
Yes, it is x86 Gordon Peak based, the internal name is "ICE". It's liquid cooled and the housing has both ICE and APE2.5 in it apparently.
Also it's not going to be Ubuntu based, and it's a lot more stripped than what is there on current S/X platform, but emmc is 64G mostly unused (good for preventing premature failures from wearing).

There are no places where you can confirm these details right now, you just have to believe me because I happened to stumble upon these (and some other) details the other day.

I cannot confirm nor deny one of these guys told me. In fact, the one in the center looks suspiciously familiar, I am pretty sure I saw him somewhere before

Gt133tS.jpg

Last edited:
Some claim they buy Model S as it is the safest, quickest, highest capacity, cheapest to operate, constantly improving, good looking luxury car available. How would I know, I'm not in the six figure vehicle priced demographic. Only think I know what I read (unless I have direct experience to base my knowledge on).

I guess it is comforting to think 1 of 4 buyers (25% of luxury sedan market) buy for more altruistic reasons instead.
As Elon pointed out, we should thank the Model S/X buyers as their purchases brought cash flow that helped pay for Model 3 development. And thanks to all who put down $1k deposits for a Model 3 concept and this encourage Tesla to move up production plans by two years - goal for 500,000 in 2018 vs 2020.

Some might find interesting as this story is about 25 years ago and many may not know this history.
(GM also beat Tesla to the "new business model" not just the +200mile EV, Bolt)
How GM Destroyed Its Saturn Success

PS- see TeslaTap link page for interesting EV1 videos yet another GM first, before Tesla founded.
(And GM beat Tesla to bankruptcy too. Yes, GM has been world's largest car maker at times.)

Last edited:
Yes, it is x86 Gordon Peak based, the internal name is "ICE". It's liquid cooled and the housing has both ICE and APE2.5 in it apparently.
Also it's not going to be Ubuntu based, and it's a lot more stripped than what is there on current S/X platform, but emmc is 64G mostly unused (good for preventing premature failures from wearing).

There are no places where you can confirm these details right now, you just have to believe me because I happened to stumble upon these (and some other) details the other day.

Whoa, really they ditched Ubuntu? So are the Qt apps gone too? That sounds like a major headache to have to start with a new kernel and code everything from scratch.

Whoa, really they ditched Ubuntu? So are the Qt apps gone too? That sounds like a major headache to have to start with a new kernel and code everything from scratch.
Just the Ubuntu is gone. Qt is still there at least for now. They don't really depend on the kernel much, so they just take whatever platform vendor gives them with some fairly minimal modifications.

Reactions: apacheguy
This beta development ramp up period for a new car would only be possible with the model 3's simple, minimalist design. Only about 10,000 parts (compared to about 30,000 for ICE) - and very few moving parts. The model 3 is a pretty simple electric go kart but with everything managed via software. That makes it much easier to modify and fix bugs in the system as opposed to hardware fixes (which would and will be very expensive). As long as the manufacturing specs and process are good (and they have lots of experience with the S/X for the drivetrain, etc), many other things can be addressed (in theory) with OTA updates. And all of those updates will come in 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely :)

I'm pretty happy with my Jan-Mar 2018 time frame as it allows more than 50,000 manufactured cars to get the hardware issues fine tuned.

They could be going custom, but my bet is they're just switching to another distro. Archlinux (or similar) is likely because they have rolling releases and what in my opinion is the best system (Pacman + ABS + (if you want) Packer) for managing binary/compiled packages. Ubuntu and other distros based on periodic releases usually work out of the box, but fixes, upgrades, and customization can be harder to handle in my experience.