Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Russia/Ukraine conflict

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stoltenberg cautioned western allies: “In the past, we made the mistake of becoming dependent on Russian oil and gas. We must not repeat that mistake with China. Depending on its money, its raw materials, its technologies – dependencies make us vulnerable.”

Emmanuel Macron has warned that Europe faces an existential threat from Russian aggression and must adopt a “credible” defence strategy less dependent on the US. The French president described Russia’s behaviour after its invasion of Ukraine as “uninhibited” and said it was no longer clear where Moscow’s “limits” lay. In his almost two-hour-long speech, Macron warned that “our Europe, today, is mortal and it can die”, Jennifer Rankin writes from Brussels.

Kosiniak-Kamysz, the defence minister, said: “I think many Poles are outraged when they see young Ukrainian men in hotels and cafes, and they hear how much effort we have to make to help Ukraine.”

True, but maybe humanoid drones will just operate things like tanks, mobile launchers, etc. without the risk of loss of operating personnel.

The answer there is to integrate the drone into the tank rather than make a humanoid to drive the tank. Without a human crew a self autonomous tank could be much smaller and carry the same punch. Just as drones are much smaller than manned aircraft. Putting a human in a plane requires a lot of space and added weight to support the human, get rid of the humans and you can be much more efficient in the design.

The problem with all unmanned weapons though is which direction do you go. If it's controlled by a remote operator the weapon can be disabled with jamming devices. If it's controlled by AI, you have to be very careful that the AI understands all the edge cases and doesn't kill the wrong people. With a missile going behind the frontlines, anything it hits is either a legitimate target or accidentally hitting innocent civilians. But if the AI is operating alongside humans on the battlefield, or even other AI weapons, the chances for friendly fire are always there. Then what does it do when the enemy surrenders. Does it understand all the ways an enemy can surrender? What if it reaches an objective and finds the situation has changed?

There are many, many edge cases that humans have been dealing with when in contact with the enemy since history began that an AI would have to deal with.

... integrate the drone into the tank ...

A system of drone tanks often works better than single drone tank trying to do everything. For example having side armor drones that handle aerial drones, side protection, and shooting down incoming projectiles. The drone tank itself can focus more on one thing which is to use its main cannon. Example advantage of such a system, is that if the main cannon gets damaged, it is less costly to replace and easier to fix. Sometimes such a system is called asymmetric drone warfare.

Last edited:
Plot thickens:

Is this a way for Putin to pleed/whitewash insanity? Seems too convenient for all the war crimes that have transpired.

If this was true they probably bought the media too, and heads will fall there soon, too.

But it seems just too far fetched with all the initial dialog between European leaders and Putin.

Last edited:
Biden Administration Announces Historic New Security Assistance Package for Ukraine

The capabilities in this announcement, which totals up to $6 billion, include:

• Additional munitions for Patriot air defense systems;
  • Additional munitions for National Advanced Surface-to-Air Missile Systems (NASAMS);
  • Equipment to integrate Western air defense launchers, missiles, and radars with Ukraine's air defense systems;
  • Counter-UAS equipment and systems;
  • Munitions for laser-guided rocket systems;
  • Multi-mission radars;
  • Counter-artillery radars;
  • Additional ammunition for High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS);
  • 155mm and 152mm artillery rounds;
  • Precision aerial munitions;
  • Switchblade and Puma Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS);
  • Tactical vehicles to tow weapons and equipment;
  • Demolition munitions;
  • Components to support Ukrainian production of UAS and other capabilities;
  • Small arms and additional small arms ammunition; and
  • Ancillary items and support for training, maintenance, and sustainment activities.

IMG_2108.jpeg

IMG_2109.jpeg

IMG_2110.jpeg

IMG_2111.jpeg

Ukraine not having an easy time knocking down hypersonic kinzhal missiles.
0/4 or (0%) of Kinzhal Missiles shot down overnight.

I'm thinking the thaad defense system would take care of this.
Not sure it will get a whole lot easier for Ukraine any time soon. Russia is ramping up their production and appears costs for missile/drone attacks are substantially less than defending against them.

The silver lining is that although Ukraine started from a much lower baseline, they are growing their offensive deep strike capabilities (quantity and quality) much faster than Russia. By this time next year there should be widespread defunct Russian oil refineries, oil depots, other petroleum infrastructure, and other overt military infrastructure.

It's a sad game Russia is playing, but they will be badly punished for it.

...appears costs for missile/drone attacks are substantially less than defending against them.
This is an important, and I think scary, dynamic. Throughout history we go back and forth between defenders being best suited for doing damage to attackers, and attackers having the edge to do damage to defenders (think castle walls and cannon - being behind castles walls was a bad plan when cannon came along). Seems like defenders have the edge most of the time, but then a technology comes along that breaks that defensive advantage, and we have a new era of warfare.

My interpretation from what I'm reading about drones is that for the people who are ready and willing to do mayhem and destruction to another, probably without the capability to actually capture and keep what they've attacked, drones are about as good as it gets. The particular dynamic of being able to send cheap drones to be destroyed by expensive defensive hardware is a pathway to impoverishing a nation. Nobody, not even the US, can pay 3+ orders of magnitude more for defensive capability. If nothing else the more expensive stuff can't be manufactured fast enough, regardless of the cost, to avoid being overwhelmed.

Hopefully we'll let them use our stuff to hit targets inside of Russia to slow down missile production. It'll be a lot more cost effective.
The West has been avoiding letting Ukraine use weapons on Russian territory to avoid Russia using that as a pretext for them then engaging upon Western targets. Would likely need to do some shell game business as Russia already has since the beginning of the full scale conflict. Perhaps Ukraine could do "final assembly" with a few minor modifications to label the products officially "Made in Ukraine".

Ukraine not having an easy time knocking down hypersonic kinzhal missiles.
0/4 or (0%) of Kinzhal Missiles shot down overnight.

I'm thinking the thaad defense system would take care of this.

There are reports of Kinzhals being taken out with Patriots. The Kinzhal is just an air launched Iskander. The "hypersonic" claim is typical Russian overhype. A large number of missiles achieve hypersonic speeds at some point in their flight profile. There were missiles in the 1950s capable of hypersonic speeds.

A true hypersonic missile can maneuver at hypersonic speeds to avoid missile defense systems. Nobody has one working yet and there are only two countries very far along in development: the US and China.

A missile defense system like the Patriot has a fairly narrow intercept cone. The missile needs to be coming in close to the Patriot launcher for a successful intercept. A Patriot system can defend a city, but the same system can't defend another city some distance away. Ukraine is short of Patriot missiles and we don't know what the Kinzhals were targeting. If there were no missile intercept batteries in position or those batteries didn't have missiles, they would have gotten through.

This is an important, and I think scary, dynamic. Throughout history we go back and forth between defenders being best suited for doing damage to attackers, and attackers having the edge to do damage to defenders (think castle walls and cannon - being behind castles walls was a bad plan when cannon came along). Seems like defenders have the edge most of the time, but then a technology comes along that breaks that defensive advantage, and we have a new era of warfare.

Back when I was a teenager (1980s) I saw a documentary on PBS about the three weapons of WW I that many people thought would end all wars: the submarine, the airplane, and the machine gun. All three were new tech in WW I and all three were initially difficult to counter, but counter measures were developed. All three are now just threats that need to be taken into account by war planners.

We are in one of those moments when the tech has changed everything.

My interpretation from what I'm reading about drones is that for the people who are ready and willing to do mayhem and destruction to another, probably without the capability to actually capture and keep what they've attacked, drones are about as good as it gets. The particular dynamic of being able to send cheap drones to be destroyed by expensive defensive hardware is a pathway to impoverishing a nation. Nobody, not even the US, can pay 3+ orders of magnitude more for defensive capability. If nothing else the more expensive stuff can't be manufactured fast enough, regardless of the cost, to avoid being overwhelmed.

At least for Ukraine the missile defense systems are mostly being used to shoot down missiles and drones are being countered with other weapons. The Gepard was a weapon without a purpose when this war started, but it's proven to be a very effective anti-drone platform. A relatively few 35mm AA rounds per drone is cheap and does the job.

The US had it's own gun AA system that was retired in favor of the Avenger missile system. The M163 VADS which deployed a 20mm cannon from the F-4 Phantom.
M163 VADS - Wikipedia

The US has retired all of it's VADS, but there are still a lot left around the world. Chile is the biggest user with 405 of them. Egypt has 108, Jordan 120, and Saudi Arabia 90. Israel has an unknown number that they retired in 2006. I would think that Chile could be coaxed into releasing some of theirs to go to Ukraine, maybe with some incentives or promises of other defense goodies down the line. Chile doesn't really need them right now as all of South America is at peace with no prospect of any conflict on the horizon.

It was bound to happen eventually. HIMARS are designed to be very mobile, it's in the acronym, but Patriots are intended to be parked in one place and not moved around all that much. The Ukrainians were using a Patriot battery like the HIMARS and the Russians eventually caught them.

Further evidence that the Russian economy is continuing to get squeezed, Putin is preparing to increase their personal income tax with adding progressive taxation on all but the poorest and increasing the corporate tax.

This will be particularly noticeable in the few big cities like Moscow and St. Petersburg where the middle classes live and thus far have been left relatively untouched by Putin’s war. Putin said the new tax would be fixed for a long period. Good way to scare more brains away.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/27/...ytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

It was bound to happen eventually. HIMARS are designed to be very mobile, it's in the acronym, but Patriots are intended to be parked in one place and not moved around all that much. The Ukrainians were using a Patriot battery like the HIMARS and the Russians eventually caught them.
I wonder if the U.S. is upset at the loss of this $1B asset.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark

By a battery do they mean one launcher or the whole system. A Patriot installation has generator trucks, radar sets, command module, and launchers. Note the first link points out that the cost is $400 mil for the battery and $690 mil for the missiles.

In war stuff gets lost. You have to calculate that into the cost of conducting a war.

We sent it to a country at war, being rained on by dozens of missiles nightly, intended for use in that war, so I am not sure that we expected to get it back? I admit I'm confused by your question.
Personally, I'm rather more upset at the people raining all those missiles down on Ukraine. Perhaps others have a more thoughtfully considered view as to where to direct their ire about the mass loss of life in the unprovoked invasion by Russia.
For me, the question I've wrestled with the most is "why does Russia want to become another North Korea?" This has bothered me since the invasion started. Who would want to be the next awful pariah, weak economy, poor starving populace paranoid country with no future other than fear and mass suffering? Putin knew it was going to happen, surely.
Last week, I finally had an epiphany of sorts on that. Putin is fine with Russia becoming the next North Korea... as long as he gets to be the Kim Jong Un.
Finally it made some sense.