Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good point, Bonnie. It could mean a federal lawsuit against a state blocking interstate commerce.
That would be fun! It is hard to imagine how a frontal attack in the Supreme Court to restrict interstate commerce would not be successful, IF the Supremes could agree that auto sales (and service, assuming the test case would be Michigan) were in fact interstate commerce. One could imagine a really bizarre ruling that somehow they were not interstate. Internet sales would certainly become part of that debate, as well as sales tax, registration fees and probably sales processes apart from seller identity. This could become full of arcane debates, and probably would end out with a pretty narrow decision by the Supreme Court. I could just imagine AutoNation and Berkshire Hathaway Auto (the new reincarnated Larry van Tuyl) ending out with Tesla on this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=87675&d=1437147072.png

Elon Musk (@elonmusk) | Twitter

Just to mix it up a bit ... during the February earnings call when answering a question about the strength of Model S demand, Elon said he wasn't concerned about buyers stepping up, followed by:

We've never really speculated as to what that might have meant. :)
The secret weapon is Model S Owners, and they will be deployed on the "Next Billion" tour.

"Guests are invited to experience the exhilarating performance and handling of Model S and hear from local owners about owning and driving a Tesla. "

Billion Miles | Tesla Motors

It's been a while since there was a positive surprise after one of these announcements correct? I like the entertainment value of all the speculation but it seems like it's always a let down and the stock price reacts accordingly. Not sure how big the news can be if related to MS.

That's it! I'm selling my car! P150Q here I come!

- - - Updated - - -

It's been a while since there was a positive surprise after one of these announcements correct? I like the entertainment value of all the speculation but it seems like it's always a let down and the stock price reacts accordingly. Not sure how big the news can be if related to MS.

I'm glad there wasn't a month of "I'm ending range anxiety!" before this conference.

I'd wager Tesla is revising guidance down to 50K and makes the announcement that Model X is going into production end of this quarter, and it's going to be a great car.

Why else have a Friday announcement a couple weeks before the earnings call?

You don't issue bad news during a trading session. All publicly traded companies issue bad news after market close. The fact that the presser is at 11am indicates a positive announcement.