Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Press Conference July 17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
official press invite copy can be seen here
https://transportevolved.com/2015/0...day-at-1800-utc-11am-pdt-is-this-the-model-x/

"We’ve reached out to Tesla ... Tesla is keen not to ‘steal Elon’s thunder’ on this particular announcement."
"..the call is a global one and will be relevant to ‘all markets,’ with regional specific information due after the conference for journalists in particular markets.
"

Regional specific. My guess is Autopilot only works in countries where vehicles are driven on the right side of the road. Regional specific information is Japan, Aus, the UK and some others will get it later.

Regional specific. My guess is Autopilot only works in countries where vehicles are driven on the right side of the road. Regional specific information is Japan, Aus, the UK and some others will get it later.
Were this to be the subject matter for the announcement regional specificity would be necessary, if only due to differing regulations and mandatory operator instructions/limitations. Certainly RHD/LHD differences will be substantial even in terms of defaults. Imagine the complexity of default behaviour for locations with profusions of roundabouts/traffic circles vs none, street and highway signage, etc. It seems a certainty that there will be quite restricted roll-out processes.

Were this to be the subject matter for the announcement regional specificity would be necessary, if only due to differing regulations and mandatory operator instructions/limitations. Certainly RHD/LHD differences will be substantial even in terms of defaults. Imagine the complexity of default behaviour for locations with profusions of roundabouts/traffic circles vs none, street and highway signage, etc. It seems a certainty that there will be quite restricted roll-out processes.

As far as I know, the intent is not that the software has any capability in dealing with those sorts of complex situations. From what I understand it just keeps you between the lines on the highway, which is vastly simpler and not really any more complex than what other automakers already have out there. So I still very much doubt that it's anything to do with 7.0.

If Transport Evolved's information is correct, then I could see this being a Model X related announcement. I know it seems a bit odd to have it over the phone rather than in person, but it could be in keeping with the "not shown until delivered" mantra. They could release all the information relevant for customers to begin placing orders, including:
- Base price
- Basic specifications (range, acceleration, dimensions)
- Relevant options, perhaps keeping a few secret
- Delivery schedule
- A few updated renderings

Essentially, the call would be revealing the Design Studio while saving the up-close reveal for when deliveries begin. Early Signatures would not have the ability to see and touch the car before ordering, but I'm sure Tesla would provide some recourse such as the ability to reject delivery without penalty should it not meet the buyer's expectations. The regional specific information after the call would then give other areas of the world approximate timing and local pricing.

In all seriousness, I can see this being a call to set (or manage) expectations about Model X availability. Since it's a call we won't see the car, and I think an opening of the design center would require more fanfare, so my guess is it's something more like "Cars will be delivered in September, design center will open right after Labor Day" or similar.

My left field guess - Partnership or substantive buy in to Tesla by another company (probably automotive). Regional information relates to whether that company already has a presence in those markets.

If GM, say, bought into Tesla there are really no regional implications. Maybe an announcement of a partnership around the SC network? That could have some regional implications,

Just to mix it up a bit ... during the February earnings call when answering a question about the strength of Model S demand, Elon said he wasn't concerned about buyers stepping up, followed by:

I have a secret weapon on the demand side and might release a good weapon against the dealers.

We've never really speculated as to what that might have meant. :)

Just to mix it up a bit ... during the February earnings call when answering a question about the strength of Model S demand, Elon said he wasn't concerned about buyers stepping up, followed by:

We've never really speculated as to what that might have meant. :)
Autonation CEO said they'd love to be a Tesla 'dealer'.
Maybe Elon just wants to sell some expiring options.
At least my Friday got more interesting. Good luck everyone.