Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Politics - Quarantine Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The left was a lot more "left" during FDR era.

Yeah, I kinda boggle at this narrative that the US democratic party has careened into extreme left. The dems would be center-right in most european governments.

I often want to ask those making the claim: What specific "far left" policies are you so horrified by? Affordable healthcare? Basic reproductive rights? Clean water? Renewable energy?

Affordable healthcare? Basic reproductive rights? Renewable energy?
First one was BTFO’d by Barry. (Our h/c costs 4x as much as it did when OC passed)

Second one is a states issue, as it always should have been.

Nuclear power and more hydro would be great, especially paired with Tesla battery banks.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Sunvalleylaw
The statement “I didn’t leave the left, the left left me” applies to more people than you think.

New libertarians are being minted every day as the fringes alienate.
Elections in the US are decided by a very small percentage of moderate voters in swing states. Judging by what happened in the midterms it's clear which party has been running away from the center, and the people Elon hangs out with aren't the ones standing still.

Elections in the US are decided by a very small percentage of moderate voters in swing states. Judging by what happened in the midterms it's clear which party has been running away from the center, and the people Elon hangs out with aren't the ones standing still.
Elections are decided in the US by people who are eligible to vote and aren't registered and people who are registered and don't vote.

The one where the $30/pint ice cream lady lost the speakership? Sure.
Party that holds the White House almost always suffers big losses. This time, that party overperformed and even gained seats in one house of Congress. When you run extremists who push the points of view that Elon keeps amplifying on Twitter, it turns out that you lose the swing voters.

More people should participate in the process, especially in understanding what exactly they are voting for.
My theory is that the total US voting age population is even more philosophically left of center than the electorate. Hence, Elon may be misjudging public sentiment in the US.

Or alternatively, his tweets are purposely designed to tick off a significant fraction of Twitter's user base and drum up more site activity.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
My theory is that the total US voting age population is even more philosophically left of center than the electorate. Hence, Elon may be misjudging public sentiment in the US.
Doubtful.

If I had to put a theory on it I would say many people are of the understanding that we are in an irrational and highly volatile period of time in this country. They may think that putting their head in the sand and not standing up for their beliefs will save them from agents of chaos.

The proverbial blood of lamb on their door will not save them when the bolsheviks are directed at them by the state.

• Funny
Reactions: jabloomf1230

Or alternatively, his tweets are purposely designed to tick off a significant fraction of Twitter's user base and drum up more site activity.

Anger sells (you), baby.

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Hah ! That was a joke, -- right ?

Medicare is expected to be insolvent by 2028, and that is with Mafia-type pricing that leaves Seniors without primary care because Physicians refuse to accept the reimbursement rates, e.g. $36 for a routine follow-up clinic visit (99212.) To put that in context, a home visit by a tradesperson will cost 3-5x and without all the overhead, bureaucracy, and litigation risk. Hospitals accept Medicare patients, but only because the Gov will otherwise block access to tax breaks and subsidies. To call Medicare non-sustainable doesn't begin to capture its structural failings.It is a massive shell game, kept somewhat afloat (for now, anyway) by behind the scenes subsidy.

The level of discourse in this thread about electrical utilities is at about the same as your understanding of clinical medicine.
In slamming Medicare are you suggesting that commercial insurance is a better alternative? I hope that's not the case because Commercial Insurance is worse than Medicare on every single parametric studied. More expensive, poorer outcomes, poor patient satisfaction, poor doctor rating satisfaction, the problems with our Healthcare System are multi-dimensional but centrally include virtual abandonment of meaningful prevention particularly in at risk populations, a prevention paradigm based on statins and beta blockers instead of actual quality of life and lifestyle, and the rewarding and therefore incentivizing of extremely high-tech and expensive treatment for advanced diseases of aging, often at which little prevention was ever aimed. So skip the Medicare rant it is not the problem. It's hardly perfect but it actually gets the highest ratings of any single third party payment system. Folks with real National Health Insurance rate their Healthcare Systems significantly higher than ours and for good reason.

• Love
Reactions: gene and mspohr
spin it anyway you want to
Boy what a defensive answer! I'm not trying to spin it I'm trying to clarify if that's what you're saying. You're the one 'spinning' the question and turning it into something that it's not. Try to approach dialogue less combatively and you probably would find other people agreeing with you more and giving you fewer critical comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.