Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official Tesla CCS1 adaptor now available in Canada.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tried out my CCS adapter for the first time yesterday....result?....fail!!

I tried it on a brand new 150kw charger that Chevron put in at two location on Vancouver Island (Sidney and Oak Bay). I tried the Sidney one.
Charging is free for an indeterminate amount of time during the launch of the new chargers.
I believe these are the only two in Canada so far so maybe growing pains.
You start charging via their Journie Rewards app but the app gave an error after a few seconds. The car said charger problem.

I'm going to try again today as Plugshare has mixed results even from non-Tesla cars. In fact, I don't see any other Tesla check-ins at this location.

Here is more info: EV Chargers | On the Run

I'm going to go try PetroCanada today as RBC Avion Rewards credit card gives me $100 free charging.

Just tried mine out in Ontario at one of the Ivy Enroute chargers. It worked, but getting the charging started was tedious compared to a Supercharger.
My Ivy rfid card didn't work at 2 different chargers, even after phoning for help, and I find their app non-intuitive. But eventually the app worked, and I got ~90kW at 50%SOC for my M3LR. Was only charged $6/ hr.
These chargers have very thick, heavy, stiff and short cables, so you have to be quite careful that something doesn't break in the socket-adapter-plug area. Don't think I'd try it at -20C.

Just tried mine out in Ontario at one of the Ivy Enroute chargers. It worked, but getting the charging started was tedious compared to a Supercharger.
My Ivy rfid card didn't work at 2 different chargers, even after phoning for help, and I find their app non-intuitive. But eventually the app worked, and I got ~90kW at 50%SOC for my M3LR. Was only charged $6/ hr.
These chargers have very thick, heavy, stiff and short cables, so you have to be quite careful that something doesn't break in the socket-adapter-plug area. Don't think I'd try it at -20C.
Ya, that’s a Good reminder to be cautious with those cables. Especially in winter.
I recently lost a (what Tesla calls) “charging dead head”. It’s a little plastic cover over the charge pins in the cars charge port.
Not a huge deal. It will charge even without one cover missing, but you can get interruptions in charging as a result. (I did).
Cheap and easy to fix, just a cover needed, not the whole charge port.
It likely happened (as you’re cautioning us) from too much strain on the charge cable where it connects to our car port.
Good advice

Tried out my CCS adapter for the first time yesterday....result?....fail!!

I tried it on a brand new 150kw charger that Chevron put in at two location on Vancouver Island (Sidney and Oak Bay). I tried the Sidney one.
Charging is free for an indeterminate amount of time during the launch of the new chargers.
I believe these are the only two in Canada so far so maybe growing pains.
You start charging via their Journie Rewards app but the app gave an error after a few seconds. The car said charger problem.

I'm going to try again today as Plugshare has mixed results even from non-Tesla cars. In fact, I don't see any other Tesla check-ins at this location.

Here is more info: EV Chargers | On the Run

I'm going to go try PetroCanada today as RBC Avion Rewards credit card gives me $100 free charging.
Update...
Went back this morning to the Chevron and the charger worked without issue. No idea what the issue was yesterday.
I pulled 60kW starting at 66%. That tapered to 50kW as I reached 80%. Best thing...FREE electrons.
Then went to the 350kW PetroCanada and the car pulled 60kW going from 76% to 82%. I got on with my day after that. PetroCan was simple, just swiped my Avion Rewards Visa to get my credit (up to $100).

My CCS adapter is slowly paying for itself...

I stopped today at the FLO chargers at the Redhill Rest Area (Hwy 1 about 15km south of Cache Creek BC). I managed to get a peak 46kw (~370v @ 124amps), which is just about 1/4 of the peak rate at the Cache Creek V3 Supercharger Station but, wait for it,... it's a free charger. I then stopped at the Clinton BC Hydro DCFC and managed a peak rate of 47kw, but it's only a few hundred yds from our destination and got ~25kw for $5.58.
So, time vs money 🤔

My CCS adapter is slowly paying for itself...

I stopped today at the FLO chargers at the Redhill Rest Area (Hwy 1 about 15km south of Cache Creek BC). I managed to get a peak 46kw (~370v @ 124amps), which is just about 1/4 of the peak rate at the Cache Creek V3 Supercharger Station but, wait for it,... it's a free charger. I then stopped at the Clinton BC Hydro DCFC and managed a peak rate of 47kw, but it's only a few hundred yds from our destination and got ~25kw for $5.58.
So, time vs money 🤔
We packed a lunch and stopped again at the Redhill charger, on the way south, and got a peak rate of 47kw whilst charging from ~45% to 99%. The charge curve was almost completely flat (2022 M3 RWD) till after ~95%, so it didn't take all that long (~1.5%/min) and I also did my daily walk at the rest stop.

I checked out the BC Hydro DCFC at the Mission BC Superstore. It was a very painless process; pull up to the charger, insert the CCS1 to NACS adapter onto the CCS1 plug and then insert it into the charge port, then activate the DCFC via the cell app (which I had ready to go) and within ~30secs I was charging. The ramp up was slow, and started at ~33kw and took about 5mins to get to 45kw. This session was a bit pricy at $4.39 for 16.7kw, but this was largely due to the slow ramp up.

So far the BC Hydro DCFCs have worked flawlessly.

Reactions: M109Rider
Today I checked out the twin BC Hydro 50kw DCFCs at the:

Esso- SQEWQEL GAS BAR LLP 77 LOUGHEED HWY, AGASSIZ, BC (about 10km east of Agassiz).

I arrived with a 77% SOC and charged on the westside charger and got 5.85kWh in 8min and it had ramped to 45kwh from 33kwh when I stopped the session, Total cost was $1.75.

I then moved the car over to the eastside charger and plugged in, and it ramped to 45kwh almost immediately. It held 45kwh until 97% and gradually tapered to 42kwh at 98% and was still showing 33kwh at 99%! It then gradually tapered down and I let it charge to 100% because I got distracted, as a Rivian P/U pulled in behind me! It's the first one I've seen in Canada with Cdn (BC) plates! The car stated 'calibrating' as it reached 100% and that continued for about 5min. I was connected to the charger for 22min and got 11.93kw at a cost of $4.75. My friend and I chatted with the Rivian driver as I charged.

Attachments

• IMG_2022-11-20-14-32-38-849.jpg
    IMG_2022-11-20-14-32-38-849.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 87
I bought a CCS1 adapter from the Tesla shop some time ago and tried it this week at an Ivy charger on Ontario 402. I found that the supply cable is very heavy and is comes from the opposite side of the machine to the Model 3 port. The weight of the cable put too much stress / torque on the adapter and I could only charge if I stood there and held the connector.

Anyone have tips on this ?

The Tesla website indicates that owners can now purchase the adapter and schedule a vehicle retrofit for those of us with older Teslas. Previously there was no way to arrange the retrofit through Tesla in most cases. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the being the whole process at $615 for adapter and vehicle retrofit. It seems likely that most third party chargers will have NACS cables in the future, probably in addition to CCS. That would eliminate the need for the adapter (along with the expansion of the Supercharger network).

I bought a CCS1 adapter from the Tesla shop some time ago and tried it this week at an Ivy charger on Ontario 402. I found that the supply cable is very heavy and is comes from the opposite side of the machine to the Model 3 port. The weight of the cable put too much stress / torque on the adapter and I could only charge if I stood there and held the connector.

If there's a bollard (post) protecting the charger sometime you can use that to allow the cable to push against the charging port.

The Tesla website indicates that owners can now purchase the adapter and schedule a vehicle retrofit for those of us with older Teslas. Previously there was no way to arrange the retrofit through Tesla in most cases. Personally, I'm a bit skeptical about the being the whole process at $615 for adapter and vehicle retrofit. It seems likely that most third party chargers will have NACS cables in the future, probably in addition to CCS. That would eliminate the need for the adapter (along with the expansion of the Supercharger network).
Not necessarily. I've read that older Tesla's will have to be CCS enabled to charge on NACS, but non-Tesla, chargers.

Reactions: MacNeil and DuncanM
The weight of the cable put too much stress / torque on the adapter and I could only charge if I stood there and held the connector.

Get a sturdy camera monopod or some other pole or rod with adjustable length. Put some kind of strap or bracket on the top that can hold the charger cable. (For a camera monopod there will be a screw that you can use to help hold the strap or bracket in some way.)

Adjust the length and wedge it between the ground and the cable to support it.

E.g.:
Altura Photo 62-Inch Camera Monopod

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueTurtleAndy
Apparently, with the latest vehicle software updates, a mention of 3rd-party NACS is showing up on the Additional Vehicle Information screen, where it used to only say whether CCS capability was installed or not.

OEM CCS adapter now available to order in North America, Retrofit for older cars coming in 2023
I now see that language on our Model 3. There is a link on the screen for more info but that just produces an error message. Maybe that will be straightened out in the next while.

Had similar problems a year or so ago. It's especially bad in the cold when that bulky cable is so stiff. I ended up maneuvering the car across two charging lanes so the cable wasn't twisted and didn't put too much stress on the Tesla port.( I was the only car there).

But I haven't used them since, because in addition to the chance of breaking my charging port, there was nothing but hassles with their software. I even ordered one of their tap cards, but couldn't get it to work.

While they may have a NACS connector they will be still in fact talking the CCS language. You will need the updated hardware in the car.
In fact the newest update to the car software shows on the info panel where it shows CCS enabled if you're car can handle NACS connections at other stations.

• Informative
Reactions: MacNeil
While they may have a NACS connector they will be still in fact talking the CCS language. You will need the updated hardware in the car.
In fact the newest update to the car software shows on the info panel where it shows CCS enabled if you're car can handle NACS connections at other stations.
Thank you for the clarification on this matter. I see the new language in the Car Software tab with an Info link; unfortunately that Info link is not functional right now (takes me to a "404 page not found" message). For our 2018 Model 3 I guess if we ever want access to third party CCS chargers we'll need to put out the $615 for the adapter and vehicle hardware. The $345 adapter (part of the $615) perhaps will eventually be unnecessary if NACS connections are added to third party chargers (although there might be cases where all the NACS connections are in use or out of order and the ability to use legacy CCS connections will be handy).