Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Energy/Environment - Automotive Engineering International Online
7714_8274_ACT.jpg

articleImage.jsp

There's a load of new info in that article TEG found. For example:

The Leaf will include an "ECO" mode, which could extend range about 15-20%

Nissan is working with AAA to carry special charging packs that can recharge sufficiently in minutes to get the car to the nearest charging station.

To meet California law, the Li-Ion batteries will carry a 10-year, 150k-mile warranty. The pack is rated conservatively to maintain a 100-mile range after 10 years, retaining 70-80% of its initial capacity.

The manganese oxide Li-Ion pack weighs 480 lb.

The Leaf has a drag coefficient of 0.29 Cd [this really caught my eye, as it's the first time I've seen the Leaf's Cd data released]

Nissan's plan for future EVs? A light-commercial van slightly larger than the Ford Transit Connect, and then a high-performance Infiniti four-passenger car.

DO we have any info on the California law?
How long will the Li-ion batteries last? California law requires a 10-year, 150,000-mi warranty, so even though the federal warranty may be only 8 years, 80,000 mi, the system is designed for the California regulations.

Is this something that Tesla has to do with the Roadster and Model S?

First I've heard of that law as well. A lot of standard ICE cars do not have quite that long of a warranty.

I just read here :: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nissan-to-sell-electric-car-for-less-than-44300-2010-03-16 :: that Nissan will sell its Leaf in Japan for between Y3.5 million - Y4 million (as of today, that's about $39k - $44k. If they plan to sell it for that much in the US, they're setting themselves up for dismal failure. This is supposed to be an everyday car for the middle class priced comparably to other C-segment cars. In the $20-$30k range they would be successful, but the $40k's would be far too high for their target market.

First I've heard of that law as well. A lot of standard ICE cars do not have quite that long of a warranty.

I just read here :: Nissan to sell electric car for less than $44,300 - MarketWatch :: that Nissan will sell its Leaf in Japan for between Y3.5 million - Y4 million (as of today, that's about $39k - $44k. If they plan to sell it for that much in the US, they're setting themselves up for dismal failure. This is supposed to be an everyday car for the middle class priced comparably to other C-segment cars. In the $20-$30k range they would be successful, but the $40k's would be far too high for their target market.

Don't use Japanese prices. They have HUGE tax rebates - 50% !

Car makers will set the price at a point AFTER rebates.

For eg. if Nissan wants the car at $25K, they will set it at $32.5K now with $7.5 K rebates. If the rebate was $10K - the price would be $35K.

Don't use Japanese prices.
It is also my experience that direct conversion doesn't work well to predict prices (applies to most countries, not only Japan).

In Japan, a top spec V6 5AT NAV Inspire (same as US Accord) cost 3.7 million yen before tax. The same car costs $31k here.
Honda | INSPIRE | ƒ^ƒCƒv￾E‰¿Ši
2010 Honda Accord Sedan - Options and Pricing - the Official Honda Web Site

In Japan, a top spec 2.4L 5AT Camry costs 3.3 million yen before tax. The closest I found, 2.5L 6AT Camry XLE costs $26k here.
toyota.jp ƒJƒ€ƒŠ ￾b ŠT—v￾•‰¿Ši ￾b ‰¿Ši
2011 Toyota Camry models and prices

So it still seems like it can still end up in a reasonable price range.

Nissan prices Leaf EV around Y3.76 mln in Japan | Reuters

Nissan announced today that Leaf will cost 3.76 Million Yen (before rebates) in Japan. That comes to about $40K. Pre-orders will be taken from Apr 1st.

They also had a dealer meeting today in the US specifically around the Leaf. I'm guessing tomorrow morning they will announce the price of Leaf in the US .... hoping for it to be less than $30K after rebates.

update : Yes, U.S. pricing on the LEAF will be announced later Tuesday.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/market_news/article.jsp?content=D9EOLRE00

Last edited:
Nice. Take that i-MiEV. Not so innovative now...

I said this over at ABG:

This really is a great price and quite a challenge to competitors.

Coda basically has no chance.

Mitsubishi will have to lower the price of the i-MiEV since the Leaf appears to be more car for less money.

Tesla will really have to work hard to differentiate the Model S as up-scale, reliable, and better performing to justify its (now) high price and (by then) late entry into the market.

Nissan LEAF Electric Car | LEAF Pricing | Nissan USA Official Site

Trim Levels

The Nissan LEAF™ will have two trim levels available: the SV and the SL.

The SV trim level includes an advanced navigation system and Internet/smart phone connectivity to the vehicle.

The SL trim level adds several convenience features, including rearview monitor, solar panel spoiler, fog lights, and automatic headlights for an additional $940 (MSRP

main-1.jpg

It's almost time. the priority reservation period for the 100% electric, zero emission Nissan LEAF is about to begin. so don't miss your opportunity. stay in tune with our upcoming e-mails and before you know it you'll be enjoying life with no tailpipe, no emissions and no need for gas ever again.

learn more about the Nissan LEAF

A piece of history made affordable
learn the very reasonable price of the new Nissan LEAF. simply use the link below to visit the website and see the price.

get pricing

faq.gif

I am most curious about the answer to Question 2 ... and who decides what "actively developing a charging infrastructure" means ... because without that being cleared up many of us will have to wait quite a while before "our" area is declared one of the "select markets". Shucks :frown: