Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One commenter mentioned that includes the VAT, and with the congestion tax it comes out fairly well after a short time.
I don't know enough about US taxes to be sure, but UK prices are normally quoted to include VAT so they seem to be turning it out for exactly the same price as in the US and not inflating it to reflect higher petrol prices.
At UK petrol prices and with the congestion charge it would seem to be a no-brainer, at least for those driving into central London.
12,000 miles takes around 400 gallons, so that costs £2,000pa at £5/gallon.
AT £8/day for 250 days/yr the congestion charge comes out to another £2,000pa.
If one off-sets the nil annual tax and lower maintenance against the electric bill, then you are making £4000pa.

As against a car costing £18,000 you are in the black after 18 months.

I think I'd be comfortable with 25 percent over.
Nissan Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn says the automaker has received 13,000 orders in the U.S. and Japan for its new electric car, the Leaf, exceeding production capacity.
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D9FLQBCO0.htm
Probbaly pretty easy since they have this many without a true working car (we have seen only one (good) review). Once they get in the hands of the squeakers they will sell even more.

The LEAF has their celebrity Sponsor.
[youtube]VqIfmiQ70Fs[/youtube]
http://www.facebook.com/mastertheshift

n116152165075990_9548.jpg

Last edited:
No way that battery costs $18K. As I commented:
My 300lb 12kwh pack of SE/CALB cells cost me $4500 including shipping from China, almost 1 year ago. I would think a large scale manufacturer who makes their own cells in volume might even be able to do just a tiny bit better. I'd say the cost is much closer to $9k than $18k

No way that battery costs $18K. As I commented:
My 300lb 12kwh pack of SE/CALB cells cost me $4500 including shipping from China, almost 1 year ago. I would think a large scale manufacturer who makes their own cells in volume might even be able to do just a tiny bit better. I'd say the cost is much closer to $9k than $18k

I believe that most of the time when they quote battery cost they're including monitoring and temp control and construction costs and such into the pack cost. But I agree that it's a bit hard to believe that it should really cost more than ~$500/kWh on a large scale production line.

Here is the oroginal quote

Nissan will spend less than $18,000 on the battery, which would mean less than $750 per kilowatt hour, said Mark Perry, the chief product planner for Nissan North America. That is below an estimate of the cost of such batteries of $1,000 per kilowatt hour put out by PriceWaterhouse Coopers.

and the one manufactured by ABG ...

Mark Perry, Nissan's chief product planner for North America, told the Wall Street Journal that the actual cost is a little less than $750 per kilowatt hour, bringing the total to just below $18,000.

Not that WSJ was any better. We have no context of that statement. Did Perry volunteer 18K or did WSJ bring that up.

http://www.leafowner.com/Forums/forumid/2/threadid/22/scope/posts.aspx
STAGE 1: May 16, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, L St & 11 St, Sacramento, CA
STAGE 2: May 17, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, Santa Rosa Ave & 3rd St, Santa Rosa, CA
STAGE 3: May 18, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, Beach St & Riverside St, Santa Cruz, CA
STAGE 4: May 19, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, 12th St & I St, Modesto, CA
STAGE 5: May 19, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, Panorama Dr & Mt Vernon Ave, Bakersfield, CA
STAGE 6: May 20, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, 880 Summit Blvd, Big Bear Lake, CA
STAGE 7: May 21, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, 880 Summit Blvd, Chick Hearn Ct & Figueroa Dr, Los Angeles, CA
STAGE 8: May 21, 2010, 11am-4:30pm
MBT Lifestyle Festival, 880 Summit Blvd, Townsgate Rd & Village Glen, Thousand Oaks, CA
www.amgentourofcalifornia.com/

When we filled out the reservation forms, it said the quick charge port was included with the premium package, which also included the little solar panel, automatic headlights, etc. I agree that this stuff is all very preliminary and that everyone will get to pick all the options at the next stage in August.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/05/19/nissan-leaf-pre-orders-already-exceed-production-capacity/
As it stands, Nissan has enough capacity to deliver around 12,000 Leafs by next March, but that means the company will fall well short of meeting demand at the rate pre-orders continue to come in. Still, that's a better problem to have than too many Leafs and not enough interested buyers. Assuming Nissan doesn't find a quick-fix to grow more Leafs, production capacity for the new EV will grow after the car's U.S. and UK production sites come on-line within the next few years. But right now, a few years is really a few too many.

Level 3 is still confusing. There are some who talked about this with Nissan people in California (accompanying the cycle tour) - who said level 3 will be there in all cars as standard. Who knows ?

Level 3 standard is not yet finalized and Nissan may be floating trial bolloons to figure out the demand for this feature.

IMHO ... Level 3 function must be standard in every LEAF delivered. The infrastructure can build slowly as time/$ allows, and, of course, faster is better. But I think every LEAF driver wants to look forward to doing long-distance outings with his/her revolutionary transport after the range-anxiety-comfort-level is taken care of (which could take a few months).