Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is not until project highland or whatever they call the facelifted Model 3 comes out.

Who knows why Tesla is holding it back. To keep more parts and manufacturing capability for the Y which is much more popular now? To force buyers into Y or 3P which are higher profit?

i think that's it... not a fan of the Polestar 2 but it does offer 300 miles of range RWD for $48k starting. The Model 3 lineup desperately needs a Long Range for under $50k back...

Reactions: DBV1
My EDD window continues to hold steady at 5/24 - 7/5. The last M3LR build dates I saw were end of January, so I'm hoping that means they've been revamping that production line and will begin allocating 2170s to LRs again in the very near future.

Reactions: King David
My guess is not until project highland or whatever they call the facelifted Model 3 comes out.

Who knows why Tesla is holding it back. To keep more parts and manufacturing capability for the Y which is much more popular now? To force buyers into Y or 3P which are higher profit?
I noticed that the Model 3 LR inventory (rather than available by 'order') - inventory which used to be fairly well stocked, at least in this area, even after Tesla stopped taking orders - is now almost non-existent. I am holding out hope that it is due to the revamp of the Model 3 line-up and that the availability of the LR is affected because that is their greatest number of Model 3 produced by far, and is therefore the version that Tesla has to cut to meaningfully reduce production volume to make the switch over. Pure speculation on my part though, but I really want to believe that the LR is truly coming back.

Last edited:
Reactions: King David
Starting to wonder if it would be wise to switch to a Model Y Long Range. If the 3 LR is truly waiting on the refresh, I am not sure I want to be one of the first people to have a refreshed model that has some issues to work out. Have some investigating to do now.
yeah... i think that's the intended upsell from Tesla... if you need 300+ miles of range and don't want a Model 3P ... upsell you into the Model Y LR.

also agreed on not taking the first refresh of anything from Tesla until the kinks are worked out

yeah... i think that's the intended upsell from Tesla... if you need 300+ miles of range and don't want a Model 3P ... upsell you into the Model Y LR.

also agreed on not taking the first refresh of anything from Tesla until the kinks are worked out
Well insurance costs totally killed that avenue. I was hoping what I read on here or Reddit was credible that they got quoted for lower insurance for the Model Y compared to the Model 3. So back to going on in on waiting for the Model 3 Long Range.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
So prices for the SR just dropped again but the Performance stayed the same. Wonder what the Long Range Price will be when it finally launches again... Has anyone with an order placed got notification of the price decrease on the Long Range or are the prices the same as when you placed the order?

So prices for the SR just dropped again but the Performance stayed the same. Wonder what the Long Range Price will be when it finally launches again... Has anyone with an order placed got notification of the price decrease on the Long Range or are the prices the same as when you placed the order?
my guess for the new long range 3 would be $4k-$5k or so less compared to whatever the long range Y is selling ... with the intention of "upselling" buyers into the Y (which doesn't cost +$4k-$5k more to produce)

So prices for the SR just dropped again but the Performance stayed the same. Wonder what the Long Range Price will be when it finally launches again... Has anyone with an order placed got notification of the price decrease on the Long Range or are the prices the same as when you pla
I haven't received a notification but I'm not exactly surprised. The sales agreement I was sent January is basically a word doc which means they can't change it unless they send an actual new one... it's not like I'm looking at an online account and numbers can simply change, if that makes sense. I would expect to see a price drop when it's time to complete the transaction, or obviously if something is announced prior.

I'm optimistic it'll be at least $3,000 less than the long range Model Y as that was the price difference (dollars, not percent) back in January.

Reactions: 42M3
my guess for the new long range 3 would be $4k-$5k or so less compared to whatever the long range Y is selling ... with the intention of "upselling" buyers into the Y (which doesn't cost +$4k-$5k more to produce)
Good guess.

As the base Model 3 (previously SR+) is back to it's $40K price point in early 2020, I see the LR-AWD variant matching the late 2020 price of $47K (a $3K drop).

This would be a reasonable $6K price difference between the Model 3 AWD and P. Recently it was a $5K price difference and initially $12K. See chart below.

Tesla Model 3 Base Price History (2).png

Link to my chart with references.

Good guess.

As the base Model 3 (previously SR+) is back to it's $40K price point in early 2020, I see the LR-AWD variant matching the late 2020 price of $47K (a $3K drop).

This would be a reasonable $6K price difference between the Model 3 AWD and P. Recently it was a $5K price difference and initially $12K. See chart below.

View attachment 930569

Link to my chart with references.
purely hypothetical of course... but a Model Y AWD LR would only be ~$3k more than a Model 3 AWD LR in that scenario. Which would make the Y a *much* better value...

purely hypothetical of course... but a Model Y AWD LR would only be ~$3k more than a Model 3 AWD LR in that scenario. Which would make the Y a *much* better value...
Y Performance is currently $1000 more than 3 Performance.

If that differential holds true then the 3 LR should be priced at $48990.

Value is subjective. I think the Y is uglier due to its proportions looking like an awkwardly bloated 3. The 3 is going to handle better and feel more nimble. The only thing the Y has that I wish the 3 had is a hatch/liftgate instead of a normal trunk. Everything else is essentially identical between the two except higher seating position and more headroom.

But consumers love SUVs and the Y is more profitable for Tesla, so the current pricing makes more people take the jump to a Y if they were considering a 3 due to price.

Yes, someone is playing with it. Although it does not show the correct 0-60.
yeah... LR should be 350 miles+ but definitely not 3.1 sec for 0-60 ;)

358 miles rated Model 3 LR would be super tempting even if only marginally cheaper than the Y ... because with that much range I could do Big Bend NP or do New Mexico charging desert from Lubbock onwards direct route...

yeah... LR should be 350 miles+ but definitely not 3.1 sec for 0-60 ;)

358 miles rated Model 3 LR would be super tempting even if only marginally cheaper than the Y ... because with that much range I could do Big Bend NP or do New Mexico charging desert from Lubbock onwards direct route...
Tesla could chargrills $5k over the SR 3 and still make a good profit. For the buyer it would only actually be $1250 more because of getting the full tax credit.