Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Disagree
Reactions: momo3605
... if it meant that there'd be no reason to put an asterisk on it and call it out... so no, it does not mean that.
Sure there would be. Otherwise one can argue that the time between hitting the pedal and the car actually moving (which is small, but measurable) would count.

The fact that the magazines (which do subtract rollout) tend to beat Chevy’s claimed 0-60s also suggests that Chevy isn’t subtracting rollout.

You were correct Car and Driver and Motortrend subtracted it, but Porsche didn't on their website. I just saw an article about the GT3 with a 2.7 0-60 and it said in there that it was from a rolling start and that all tests are.
Yeah if anything Porsche is notorious for underselling their numbers. They claim 3.2 for the GT3’s 0-60, while car and driver beat that by a lot (even when you add the 0.2s 1ft back into the time). Similarly they claim a much lower range value than you get in the real world for the Taycan

Reactions: phantasms
If we take the 2023 MP motors: 3D3/3D6 = 158+255kw = 553hp --> 455hp and then apply that to the sleuthed 2024 MP motors: 3D3/5D1 = 158+314kw = 633hp --> 520hp. That's what I'm expecting as a minimum HP bump. It's a good chance they'll do better but I don't think anyone should be surprised if we see ~520hp.
The car already makes 523 HP at the wheels. Are you expecting it to decrease?

Reactions: Lindenwood
Just going by the ratings. One can apply the %difference to their own measurements. I'm just trying to demonstrate that the most plausible info we have in front of us points to a ~14% increase.
The issue is that the HP ratings are just simply not true. Tesla just makes up numbers that they tell the governments for those documents.

They told the EPA that the Model 3 Performance only has 321 KW of power which is 435 HP. That is just laughable for a ~4,050 lb car doing 11.4 second 1/4 mile times with only a single fixed gear ratio.

They list only 312 KW for the Model Y Performance. There is no way the Model Y Performance makes less power than the Model 3 Performance. That just simply can’t be true.

People should stop caring about “max HP” for an electric car. It is totally irrelevant for EVs that can only hold max HP for a couple of mph.

Honestly, we shouldn’t really even care about measuring HP at all for EVs. Just tell me the 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile time with trap speed. That tells me WAY more about the car’s acceleration than telling me a max HP number at an unknown rpm or vehicle speed.

IMG_2684.jpeg
IMG_2685.jpeg

Reactions: Lolo780
It's not a standard in Europe. They can and no doubt will use it but just saying I'd like a real 0-60 that's under 3 seconds, not a 3-60 or 4-60 or whatever the car is doing after 1 foot.
A "foot" isn't really a thing in Europe unless it's attached to your lower leg, and cars don't have legs like horses. :)

The issue is that the HP ratings are just simply not true. Tesla just makes up numbers that they tell the governments for those documents.

They told the EPA that the Model 3 Performance only has 321 KW of power which is 435 HP. That is just laughable for a ~4,050 lb car doing 11.4 second 1/4 mile times with only a single fixed gear ratio.

They list only 312 KW for the Model Y Performance. There is no way the Model Y Performance makes less power than the Model 3 Performance. That just simply can’t be true.

People should stop caring about “max HP” for an electric car. It is totally irrelevant for EVs that can only hold max HP for a couple of mph.

Honestly, we shouldn’t really even care about measuring HP at all for EVs. Just tell me the 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile time with trap speed. That tells me WAY more about the car’s acceleration than telling me a max HP number at an unknown rpm or vehicle speed.

View attachment 1022864View attachment 1022865
You could probably get pretty close from logging the peak kW output of the battery. Convert that to HP minus a bit for wiring loss.

Given how the HP varies with SOC and temperature, it's probably the case their rating is under specific conditions that are different from hp numbers achieved under more optimal circumstances. I see it as being conservatively rated vs. outright fabrication of data. With that said, my ass-umption is their ratings are under consistent circumstances for each motor so a %difference rating from one motor to the next is representative of actual performance differences.

No it doesn't. This is an Elon lie. The current Model 3P spins faster at 160 MPH than the Plaid at 200 MPH. Details in this thread and other places on TMC.

What it enables is a smaller rotor stator gap, which reduces back EMF, which maintains power with less voltage.
Elon didn't lie if you actually listen to what he said instead of creating your own strawman to knock down. Elon said that the carbon overwrap allows the motor to spin faster that it would without a carbon overwrap. At no point does he make a comparison of Model 3 and Model S motor speeds. Also, he specifically does mention, more than once, how the carbon overwrap enables a smaller rotor stator gap.

Also, here are a couple of Elon's tweets at the time.

“Fiber is wound over rotor at high tension load. Machine to do this was made by Tesla Automation.Carbon sleeve must put copper rotor in compression or it loosens at low temp due to differential thermal expansion. Preload is also helpful for maintaining precise gap to stator.”

“Main advantage of this is a much stronger EM field compared with a rotor that is held together by metal (usually high strength steel). Other advantage is that rotor can go to higher RPM, as carbon sleeve (mostly) stops copper rotor from expanding due to radial acceleration.”