Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like coils are a must for the M3P. I went with springs and that made it go from bad to worse. Coils are expensive. But necessary apparently.
Absolutely. It turns it from a fast shopping cart into dynamics like a true mid engined sports car. Also, don't be afraid of going Sport coilovers over Comfort. The Sport suspension made the ride dramatically smoother over stock which I wasn't expecting. Best mod I've ever done to a car by far. No matter what comes on the new performance car I'll be throwing real coilovers on them.

My guess is Tesla continues to capitalize on the Highland refresh in Q1 and into Q2 with slightly higher prices and thus higher margins bc people want it and are willing to pay for the refresh.

P/Ludicrous gets released end of Q2/early Q3 at $54,990 and eligible for the tax credit (perhaps with all free paint choices). LR price drops to $44,990, putting it in between the base and P trims. Note that Tesla should make higher margins off the higher trim anyways (P/Ludicrous), like most car companies do.

Tesla is trying to continue sales growth YoY and needs to be creative and find ways to stoke demand each and every quarter.
I think this is wishful thinking unless the M3P powertrain remains unchanged. If that’s the case I could see that price. But people are talking about the N at 65k plus ADMs. Tesla is not leaving that kind of cheese on the table so you can get the tax credit. As others have predicted, a 650hp 10.5 M3P will be very desirable and likely will sell for a while. If it’s just an appearance pack plus the old powertrain, then yeah because there won’t be much hype over that. If anything maybe 55k comes after a year or two.

Pretty sure based on the European regulatory documents Tesla had to submit, it’ll have the 5D1 motor. However in China / Europe the Performance has had the same pack as the LR, the LG pack for a while. At least from the Made in China version, I think it’ll be the same pack as that was also in the filling documents if I remember correctly.

I can't tell for sure but I think the bottom of the rear may be different. It would be an easy chance considering the nature of the part. Perhaps a more aggressive diffuser? Am I seeing things? lol Clearly I'm excited. :)

....though I'm not excited about the fact that license plate makes me think it'll be made in China first and we wont be seeing it in the states for a while. :/

Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 8.43.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-25 at 8.59.10 PM.png

I think this is wishful thinking unless the M3P powertrain remains unchanged. If that’s the case I could see that price. But people are talking about the N at 65k plus ADMs. Tesla is not leaving that kind of cheese on the table so you can get the tax credit. As others have predicted, a 650hp 10.5 M3P will be very desirable and likely will sell for a while. If it’s just an appearance pack plus the old powertrain, then yeah because there won’t be much hype over that. If anything maybe 55k comes after a year or two.
Perhaps you're right. Maybe $59,990 is more realistic and Tesla doesn't need the tax credit to sell a bunch of them. I'm not believing anything north of $65k personally and even that seems like a stretch.

Realistically the battery is going to be the Panasonic 82 kWh NCA pack we've seen for years. They'll put the new seats in, add a spoiler, some nice looking rims, a ludicrous badge on the back, and maybe a new front and/or rear motor? What else is there to do? The battery is 20% smaller than an MS plaid, a limiting factor. How much could all that possibly cost Tesla over the current LR setup?

Last edited:
Reactions: buckets0fun
I’d pay the price of a Model S plaid for a Model 3 Plaid. I do understand that this is likely just ludicrous but yeah I’m with you. $69k to start, because nice?

Perhaps you're right. Maybe $59,990 is more realistic and Tesla doesn't need the tax credit to sell a bunch of them. I'm not believing anything north of $65k personally.

Realistically the battery is going to be the Panasonic 82 kWh NCA pack we've seen for years. They'll put the new seats in, add a spoiler, some nice looking rims, a ludicrous badge on the back, and maybe a new front and/or rear motor? What else is there to do? The battery is 20% smaller than an MS plaid, a limiting factor. How much could all that possibly cost Tesla over the current LR setup?
The historical delta was what? $6000? I know when I bought mine in 2021 it was $55,000

The historical delta was what? $6000? I know when I bought mine in 2021 it was $55,000
All the Tesla pricing history for every model and trim since the dawn of time is below:

At the start of 2019 the delta was $10k, but then it hovered around $7-8k for awhile. 2022 COVID pricing was dumb and not worth mentioning as valid benchmark (but it was still similar). In 2023 it was $6k.

So Tesla started the M3 LR at $45,990, now $47,740 (demand), so I don't see how the new P/Ludicrous would be above $59,990 unless they do some crazy stuff. Knowing Tesla historically, I can't imagine that. Realistically, what could they even do that makes more sense than what I mentioned previously? The battery size is the limiting factor here.

According to motormatchup (below), the 2023 M3P did 0-60 in 3.01 seconds and 1/4 mile in 11.39 seconds:

So Tesla swaps out the front motor, changes some software, and gets it under 3 seconds 0-60 and under 11 seconds 1/4 mile. That makes it slightly better than the Model S LR. Makes sense to me!

All the Tesla pricing history for every model and trim since the dawn of time is below:

At the start of 2019 the delta was $10k, but then it hovered around $7-8k for awhile. 2022 COVID pricing was dumb and not worth mentioning as valid benchmark (but it was still similar). In 2023 it was $6k.

So Tesla started the M3 LR at $45,990, now $47,740 (demand), so I don't see how the new P/Ludicrous would be above $59,990 unless they do some crazy stuff. Knowing Tesla historically, I can't imagine that. Realistically, what could they even do that makes more sense than what I mentioned previously? The battery size is the limiting factor here.

According to motormatchup (below), the 2023 M3P did 0-60 in 3.01 seconds and 1/4 mile in 11.39 seconds:

So Tesla swaps out the front motor, changes some software, and gets it under 3 seconds 0-60 and under 11 seconds 1/4 mile. That makes it slightly better than the Model S LR. Makes sense to me!
Seems very plausible. Can probably get ahead of the S LR without canibalzing sales but stay behind the plaid and sell a bunch.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Are you predicting that the Model 3 Ludicrous will cost $65k?

Zero chance Tesla makes a car with seats that can hold harness belts.

I do wish there was a way to fit recaros in these cars while retaining power, heat, ventilation, airbags, etc
Exactly, that would be the ultimate . . . but far easier if they just offered us option designing it themselves, even if it was another $1k add on.

These are exactly the wheels leaked from the parts catalog. The so-called "Warp" wheels. Now we get to see them with the aero covers on, but once you take those off you get this:

View attachment 1021868View attachment 1021870
If those are the wheels, what a let down from the future looking uber turbine wheels......................Though they were heavy.

Reactions: phantasms