Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Tesla Insurance Services in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I check my tesla insurance quote, about 50% more than I pay through Farmers, I only have a very minor fender bender accident few years ago, 20+ years good driving record. My wife drives even more conservative than me, her case, 80% increase in premium.

I am scratching my head now, what is wrong?

Who is the actual underwriter for these policies? What is their insurance rating? Who is in charge of servicing claims? How can you just sign up for insurance without knowing these basics? Or is it posted somewhere that I can’t find?

Reading through the thread it doesn't seem that people are signing up. I only count 3 who state they have received lower price quotes and signed up.

Folks...

This is California. The insurance market here is extremely regulated-- thanks to a ballot measures. Tesla can't just pull their secret records of your driving behavior, throw it into a black box algorithm, and come up with some custom insurance rate. Their rate table (ie the formula by which they calculate rates) has to be filed with the Insurance Commissioner, and there are fairly strict limits as to what kind of factors they can use to calculate the rate. This is why a lot of the more exotic features offered by companies in other states (accident forgiveness, gizmos that plug into the car's CAN bus) aren't available here.

If Tesla is going to use its secret records here, it will be to try and deny claims and or cancel insurance by using their records to show that you have made a misstatement of material fact in a claim or an application.

Insurance companies are professional debtors. You pay them up front, and then they promise that if something happens in the future they will make a payment to you. Tesla has a long track record of making promises (or things that look like promises) and then not timely performing or trying to weasel out of the promises. Think of how they have reinterpreted the meaning of EAP and FSD and of how they redefined the rules on unlimited free supercharging. Think also of how they have handled crash parts and warranty issues. Why would anyone want to trade real money to them in exchange for a future promise to pay?

Also, note that insurance companies are highly restrained in their actions by the terms of their insurance contracts and their tariffs. With insurance, it really doesn't matter what random things are said by Musk. All that matters is what's in the official documents, and whether you can get them to even do what those documents say without hiring a lawyer.

• Love
Reactions: SPACE_EX and GreenT
Had to see what Elon & Co. would charge me. Surprisingly, the quote is close to my current Farmers rate, except the Tesla policy provides less coverage and with higher deductibles. If I match my current policy coverage then Tesla is still 10% higher overall. Not worth changing insurance carriers, especially when we don't know what the customer service/claim side of the equation will be like yet.