Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Master Thread: Energy products and Tax discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was some questions raised if SGIP incentives were taxable. According to this they shouldn't be:

U.S.C. Title 26 - INTERNAL REVENUE CODE

However, some were concerned that you may still receive a 1099 for the incentive.

I asked the PG&E SGIP department if I should expect to receive a 1099 for my incentive.
They responded:
"It depends on how your application was submitted. If you are tax exempt, you will not receive a 1099."

So I asked Tesla how they filled out my incentive form.
They responded:
"Thank you for your email. We always fill out our customer applications with the “Exempt” status. That means you will not get a 1099."

So those of us receiving a SGIP incentive from PG&E should not expect a 1099.
I guess it depends how form is filled out. If I get there, will try to do it exempt, but does not make sense to me, but, ...

So, here is the form. Are you saying we as a customer never sign this?

I got this from SGIP

the Contractor must complete the installation of the SGIP equipment and the Applicant must submit all required Incentive Claim Form (ICF) documents

Are we not the applicant?

Attachments

• 2005_sgip_icf_r0_050115.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 64

I got this from SGIP

the Contractor must complete the installation of the SGIP equipment and the Applicant must submit all required Incentive Claim Form (ICF) documents

I never filled out that particular form (that I remember but Tesla isn't good at providing you completed copies of the forms). Tesla filled out everything and had me digitally sign them. They are all electronic forms. They don't send paper copies (that I'm aware of) but enter everything through the SGIP portal. SGIP sent me an example screenshot of the tax information fields on the portal when I asked about the 1099 information.

I never filled out that particular form (that I remember but Tesla isn't good at providing you completed copies of the forms). Tesla filled out everything and had me digitally sign them. They are all electronic forms. They don't send paper copies (that I'm aware of) but enter everything through the SGIP portal. SGIP sent me an example screenshot of the tax information fields on the portal when I asked about the 1099 information.
I just talked to my installer co. This was one of the questions. I just sent him the form so he could look into an answer for me.

what if batteries are installed after solar?

Provided the batteries are configured to charge exclusively from solar it would still be listed there. For purposes of the ITC, the batteries should be thought of as a part of the solar-powered system - in this case a later add-on, just as if you added additional panels to the system. (To further this point, if the batteries were installed in conjunction with a wind-powered system instead of solar-powered, as one member has documented doing, if claiming the ITC the batteries would be included on line 3 instead of line 1.)

Reactions: willow_hiller
Provided the batteries are configured to charge exclusively from solar it would still be listed there. For purposes of the ITC, the batteries should be thought of as a part of the solar-powered system - in this case a later add-on, just as if you added additional panels to the system. (To further this point, if the batteries were installed in conjunction with a wind-powered system instead of solar-powered, as one member has documented doing, if claiming the ITC the batteries would be included on line 3 instead of line 1.)
Thanks

Thanks for info. When you say SGIP send you that form , did you mean from [email protected] or SGIP equivalent email of your utility provider?

I got this from SGIP

Thanks for info. When you say SGIP send you that form , did you mean from [email protected] or SGIP equivalent email of your utility provider?

I got the sample contact form below from [email protected].

upload_2021-1-14_14-44-24.png

According to this article, the GREEN Act that was just introduced says:

According to the proposed legislation from Representative Mike Thompson (D-Calif.), the GREEN Act would reinstate and extend the solar investment tax credit (ITC) to 30% for projects that begin construction after 2020 and before 2027, then phase down to 26% for projects that begin construction in 2027, 22% for projects that begin construction in 2028 and 10% thereafter.

Does this mean that even if Tesla Solar claims (correctly) that the Federal Tax Credit is at 26%, when this bill becomes law, I will somehow receive an extra 4%? Or would I have to wait for the bill to pass before installation?

And according to this article, it also says the following:

Additionally, the GREEN Act would expand the 30% investment tax credit to include energy storage technologies with a minimum capacity of 5 kWh through 2026.

Does this mean that we could receive further discounts on the Powerwalls?

What are your thoughts?

This proposal still seems a good way off from potential passage, so things could change, but to answer your question, it might. The legislation could absolutely change the percentage retroactively, and you would be entitled to that. That was actually the case for us with the home energy efficiency credit a few years back - we replaced windows and doors well after the credit expired and then Congress unexpectedly (at least to us) extended the credit retroactively, so we essentially got a free $500. But it might also be updated to only provide it for future projects. In either case, note that Tesla does not guarantee or issue you a credit - you fill out the applicable tax form (form 5695) to claim the ITC from the IRS.

The powerwall piece is interesting because right now, storage is not explicitly included in the credit. However, the IRS has essentially taken a position (in private letter rulings, so it is not official) that PWs are covered by the ITC as long as they are exclusively charged by the clean energy system that is getting the credit. It seems like this might formalize that, and, depending on the wording (I haven't read the details) could change some of the rules around exactly which PW installations qualify. If you were planning PWs to pair with solar, it does not seem like this changes much (other than 30% vs 26%) but it might potentially allow more flexibility in how PWs are used, depending on the exact wording.

Overall, while I think it is great that attention is being paid to climate change, I am not entirely convinced that upping this credit and extending it for so long is necessarily the best approach - it seems like it has done its job to improve the technology and bring costs down, but extending it this far may serve to push out demand rather than encourage it.

Reactions: power.saver
Overall, while I think it is great that attention is being paid to climate change, I am not entirely convinced that upping this credit and extending it for so long is necessarily the best approach - it seems like it has done its job to improve the technology and bring costs down, but extending it this far may serve to push out demand rather than encourage it.

@wjgjr I know we've had this discussion on the other thread :)

I have solar, I have Powerwalls. I own an EV, I believe in the electrified future. I am 100% against demand side subsidies. They've screwed up the market every time they're implemented and the solar market is too precious to our future. Just look at college education costs in the US.

What the federal government can do is work to provide regulatory frameworks that actually encourage AHJs to streamline and enable the installation of solar at all scales. That investment would go so much further than an ill advised tax credit. It's funny to me that a rep from California is pushing this when I read about how screwed up the regulations are in certain places in CA that is making actually installing solar difficult.

Throwing federal tax dollars at the demand side sounds good and feels good but doesn't actually solve anything.

Last edited: