Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

License plate screws size?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The spec on these also varies between early production vs current production cars and markets (mostly a function of cars with and without the rear license plate holder and older vs newer front license plate adapter, its Americas vs EMEA/APAC flavors).

On an older early production car (roughly <2019) without the license plate holder) swapping out the nylon inserts can affect the optimal screw spec as well. So what fits then isnt neccessarily what fits for OE setups.

Why in the f*ck do people say the treads are both meteric and SAE?

They can NOT be both!!!!
Actually it can, kinda. 10-32 and M5 are so similar that it can be difficult to tell the difference. A bit like the way -40C feels a lot like -40F. A 10-32 screw has a major diameter of 4.83mm and a thread pitch of 0.794mm so you can imagine how it'd fit easily in a M5 x 0.8mm nut.

Anyway, Tesla uses regular bolts, not Stupid American English (SAE) so the correct size is M5.

Since there did not seem to be agreement in this thread about the M5 vs #10-32 screws, I took one of my existing short black screws that came with my M3 to Home Depot. I tried it in the thread tester for both M5 and #10-32. It worked in both, but I thought it fit a little better in the #10-32 threads. As a result, I bought #10-32 x 3/8" stainless screws, since I needed something longer for my new license plate frame.
Thank you, Bolty. Headed to Lowes now to pick up some #10-32 machine-thread screws!

I just wanted to say hey Tesla provides the screws on the front plate mount when you take delivery. Blue bag is the rear license plate screws.
2C447CB0-B112-4EB7-9E9F-BCA08EC85C5E.jpeg

Reactions: akhandok
Actually it can, kinda. 10-32 and M5 are so similar that it can be difficult to tell the difference. A bit like the way -40C feels a lot like -40F. A 10-32 screw has a major diameter of 4.83mm and a thread pitch of 0.794mm so you can imagine how it'd fit easily in a M5 x 0.8mm nut.

Anyway, Tesla uses regular bolts, not Stupid American English (SAE) so the correct size is M5.

ah, like I can use both 5.56 and .223 ammo in my AR ;)

came here looking b/c there was 1 screw in the rear license plate holder and 2 screws in the little baggie. the little baggie was cut open even though it has a ziploc opening.... took delivery 3 weeks ago, it was a demo vehicle so I guess they had a plate or paper tags on the rear?

gonna paint it black.

stainless
zinc