Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Launch is Imminent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My issue w/ the Rivian (besides being coyote ugly) is that it doesn't have V2H. They say that they are working on it but it will take a separate and expensive box. I like that the CT and F-150 have 240V plugs with built-in inverters in the bed (though I do wish the Ford had 40A like the CT instead of 30A). Super handy for all kinds of uses (food truck anyone?).
Tesla says they are working on many CT features, even though that are having customers pay in full or in part up front. The list is long and has already discussed.

My issue w/ the Rivian (besides being coyote ugly) is that it doesn't have V2H. They say that they are working on it but it will take a separate and expensive box. I like that the CT and F-150 have 240V plugs with built-in inverters in the bed (though I do wish the Ford had 40A like the CT instead of 30A). Super handy for all kinds of uses (food truck anyone?).
The CT and the F-150 require home box equipment to use them as power walls. the cost of the equipment is $2,500 to $3,500. I have 2 friends that got founders CT orders in and lists the separate items needed / Included with founders' models... non founders models, the equipment will be sold separately.

You will not be able to draw large amounts of power through the onboard outlets. The connections will need to go through the charging outlet.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: aerodyne
Question: does the CT have electronic trailer braking in its connector? Is that a standard thing in the F-150 lightning or Rivian?
Yes the CT does have a trailer brake controller function inbuilt - screenshot below for reference. The F150L does as well.

1702484607094.png

The CT and the F-150 require home box equipment to use them as power walls. the cost of the equipment is $2,500 to $3,500. I have 2 friends that got founders CT orders in and lists the separate items needed / Included with founders' models... non founders models, the equipment will be sold separately.

You will not be able to draw large amounts of power through the onboard outlets. The connections will need to go through the charging outlet.

Correct. I wanted the F-150L for this but it's not feasible. In addition to the EVSE, you need a special Delta solar inverter that is only sold and installed by Sunrun, and the total cost including installation was way more than $3500. At that point it's just cheaper and better to get a dedicated backup battery.

Correct. I wanted the F-150L for this but it's not feasible. In addition to the EVSE, you need a special Delta solar inverter that is only sold and installed by Sunrun, and the total cost including installation was way more than $3500. At that point it's just cheaper and better to get a dedicated backup battery.

It's unfortunate, I thought the CT would be plug and play if you had a PW/Solar.

But between Sunrun and Tesla, I'd take Tesla every day of the week.

It's unfortunate, I thought the CT would be plug and play if you had a PW/Solar.

But between Sunrun and Tesla, I'd take Tesla every day of the week.

From what I read, the Ford solution is around 9-10k by the time someone gets done with it, and I saw a video from someone who has it which showed it in actual use and there isnt a chance in heck I would want what ford has cooked up there.

I do have solar + powerwalls already myself, but wont be buying a cybertruck (I think its hideously ugly), but the power portion of the discussion somewhat interests me (I am the main mod for the tesla energy subforum, lol).

Anyway, I saw that those foundation series cybertruck orders seem to come with the install of the equipment necessary to make this work, but from what someone posted, the semi-fine print says (paraphrased) "credit for up to 4k install, anything additional is owner responsibility", which says to me that the average cost Tesla must be planning on charging for setting up the powershare function must be around that 4k figure.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
From what I read, the Ford solution is around 9-10k by the time someone gets done with it, and I saw a video from someone who has it which showed it in actual use and there isnt a chance in heck I would want what ford has cooked up there.

I do have solar + powerwalls already myself, but wont be buying a cybertruck (I think its hideously ugly), but the power portion of the discussion somewhat interests me (I am the main mod for the tesla energy subforum, lol).

Anyway, I saw that those foundation series cybertruck orders seem to come with the install of the equipment necessary to make this work, but from what someone posted, the semi-fine print says (paraphrased) "credit for up to 4k install, anything additional is owner responsibility", which says to me that the average cost Tesla must be planning on charging for setting up the powershare function must be around that 4k figure.
If one is new to the Tesla power backup ecosystem, they need to add a special version of Gateway (with auto transformer) and a Powershare version of the Wall Connector (with Gateway wakeup ability). The Foundation package comes with those parts, but there would be additional cost for an electrician to install them which the $4k offsets.

In your case, you wouldn't need the extra parts or installation (assuming you already have a Wall Connector).

Reactions: T3SLAROD

Yeah Ford pretty much washed their hands and sent it all to SunRun to take care of.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
So, it seems Tesla, and the Great Charlatan pulled some more intentional marketing BS, with “Exoskeleton,” like they did with FSD….

Hey Tesla, Honda is calling and they want their Ridgeline back!

View attachment 999877

Honda would wish they had a 3-part frame.

That Ridgeline has about 100 parts welded together which is so much more expensive.

There is absolutely NO comparison of these frames. Tesla's frame is literally 3 parts. Honda over 100 parts. And you say they are the same? Really? In what way?

Lastly - the Rigline frame is 100 pieces of steel and heavier. The Cybertrucks frame is 3 pieces of aluminum.

What happens to steel? It rusts. Rarely has there EVER been a recall of a truck because of frame rust. Well, the precious Ridgelines frame did.

Really? I don't think you could have chosen a worse comparison.

Last edited: