Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an upfront fee for warranty repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The title says it all. I've read elsewhere in reviews that our local service center asked someone for $185 to look at their problem and confirm it was covered by warranty (it was). This sounds nuts, but after so many complaints about service I have to ask.

So if I honestly believe it is a warranty issue, and they disagree, they're going to charge me $185 to tell me we disagree and they won't fix it?
Correct, that's what it sounds like.
A lot of people come in with false/mistaken warranty claims. It takes time to look at stuff, and I can see charging for it if not under warranty, or you're just providing free inspections.

I’ve owned a Tesla for 8 years now. Service was best in the world in the early days. I’d call them, we’d talk about it, and they’d say bring it in tomorrow and we’ll take care of it. Fast forward to today…not the best in the world any more. I’m sorry for the folks at the SC, same great people now overwhelmed by Tesla setting the company service policy that makes them treat us the way they do.

I dunno, it makes sense to me...

I mean, image somebody brings in their new Tesla for a loud mysterious rattle. Pretty much a brand new car, covered under warranty right? Tesla verifies the issue, tears the car apart and finds a LEGO into an air vent. Tesla doesn't want to be in a position, after the fact, of trying to convince the owner that it took 2 hours to get to their toddler's LEGO.

There are so many issues that appear to be warranty but end up being something else. It's my understanding that Tesla technicians are paid hourly no matter who is paying for the repair, I'm sure if at all possible they would rather it be warranty so they don't have to be calling us to get every little thing approved.