Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Vault cover leaking or is it condensation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1704481594912.png

That's going to be one stinky box after awhile, adding an HVAC conditioned vault would have helped address the condensation issue, you are going to need a lot of calcium chloride desiccants to address that or a big ass vent fan or drive it with the tailgate down and the vault open for a couple trips..

Good thing you didnt have any electronics or camping equipment in there....

Last edited:
Seems all trucks with a cover will have condensation in the right conditions. Typically when the humidity is high and the temperatures change from high to low (i..e overnight), you're likely to get condensation on the underside of the cover. You might try and leave the cover partly open to get some airflow or keep the cover entirely open.

If the top is wet then the bottom will get wet when rolled open and then closed. No way around it as far as I can tell.

I also wish they had a climate control bed option.
Maybe I'll wait for the SUV version, that will be climate controlled. I also saw the same thing happen to a Rivian on the spare tire box below the bed... so much condensation that water was sloshing around, must have had a clogged drain port or plug not removed or something. Rivian ended up modifying the gasket to resolve the issue.

Last edited:
Apparently many here have never owned a truck with a cover. I would say it did a good job.
seriously. of all the issues i have with the cybertruck... that cover "leaking" aint it.
any tonneau cover (except for fixed hard plastic ones) will leak to some extent.

if you want an airtight, rain free storage space.... I'd recommend a large SUV and not a pickup truck...

I fully expect a s ton of problems with the retractable cover. I hope they poured sand through it like an AK-47 to test it.
simpler is often better. I would prefer a fail safe soft tonneau cover you roll up / secure over this "vault" thing. but then... the Cybertruck has limited space in the frunk so you really need the bed secured... whereas with the F150 Lightning you could lock your valuables in the giant frunk and not cover the bed or just cover it with a soft roll up tonneau.

simpler is often better. I would prefer a fail safe soft tonneau cover you roll up / secure over this "vault" thing. but then... the Cybertruck has limited space in the frunk so you really need the bed secured... whereas with the F150 Lightning you could lock your valuables in the giant frunk and not cover the bed or just cover it with a soft roll up tonneau.
Or something like My son has on his Tacoma. Strong, locking secure, water tight, simple,…

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
I fully expect a s ton of problems with the retractable cover. I hope they poured sand through it like an AK-47 to test it.
Snow, ice and those tiny little leaves that clog the cabin filters, gutters and generally get tracked everywhere in the fall...where does it all go when the cover rolls up?

From the parts catalog it doesn't appear to have a drain or clean out from underneath.

Could be a big issue down the road.

Or something like My son has on his Tacoma. Strong, locking secure, water tight, simple,…

You trying to compare a powered retractable bed cover with one that folds manually? Seriously?