Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Performance Degraded due to poor weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed a really annoying bug last night. I was driving on FSD (freeway) and it started to rain, FSD seemed to be performing just fine but I had to turn it off because it kept screaming at me with the pop up every minute or two saying performance may be degraded. It was that loud annoying chirp and impossible to ignore. Assuming there’s no way to disable the noise associated with that alert, FSD 12.3.4 is unusable in the rain.

Reactions: jhneuerburg
I wouldn't call it a bug...it's doing what it's been programmed to do. But yes, incredibly annoying and yet another reason to be skeptical about FSD being ready for prime time. It's not new in 12.3.4, it's been that way since the first releases of FSD 12 (well, it used to be there even in FSD 11, but never as prevalent and annoying). It's worst when it's "misty" so it keeps coming in and out. Had to endure this on a trip earlier this month. I would have preferred to just run it in TACC if possible, but of course they took that capability away from us without having to take significant measures.

Reactions: E90alex
It also affects TACC and AP. Those are times I miss a standard cruise control option, as typically the weather is not that bad when the car starts complaining.
For TACC is still works, it just threatens to turn off.

For fine rain (and I get that message in that condition) any cruise should be fine but one needs to be aware that all cruise control can be dangerous in heavy rain where hydroplaning is a possibility.

This hasn't been an issue for me yet because I don't use FSD enough but in rain at night the haloing my eyes get is almost overwhelming and so that would be a condition where FSD V12.3.3 (which I have at least some confidence in) would be a great assist to me. I'm constantly terrified I'll miss seeing a pedestrian about to step out on the road and knowing the FSD is a second set of eyes that could help warn me would be wonderful. If it refuses to work in such conditions (or I can't use it because we disagree on how fast the car should be going in those conditions, since it can't go faster than I feel I can spot and react a danger) then it won't be useful.

Reactions: RTPEV
It might come back again but not every minute as you were seeing. The noise doesn’t bother me.
The repetitive alarming happens when the weather is marginal (i.e. a misty rain). The warning flashes up and disappears almost immediately (as if the car determined that everything is fine now), and then it flashes up pretty soon afterwards.

The marginal nature of the weather when this alert comes up is what is concerning to me--yes, I would expect some minor degradation, but nothing that raises to the level of a red alert with an alarm sound. If FSD is that sensitive in misty weather, how will it handle more severe weather.

Like you, there doesn't appear to be any loss of functionality, but that's probably because it's assuming we are still paying attention and still happily remains engaged. If this were a truly Full Self Driving vehicle, however, would it need to pull over and wait for the weather to clear? Very concerning.

Reactions: jhneuerburg
The marginal nature of the weather when this alert comes up is what is concerning to me--yes, I would expect some minor degradation, but nothing that raises to the level of a red alert with an alarm sound. If FSD is that sensitive in misty weather, how will it handle more severe weather.
This is one of the times I miss the radar in my previous 2018 Model S. I remember one time driving in a torrential downpour on a rural two-lane highway in FL, and using Autosteer because it could see the road better than me and I felt that was the safer option. Tesla Vision wouldn't have been able to do that.

For TACC is still works, it just threatens to turn off.

For fine rain (and I get that message in that condition) any cruise should be fine but one needs to be aware that all cruise control can be dangerous in heavy rain where hydroplaning is a possibility.
TACC (and AP) will limit speed (sometimes well under the speed limit) and display "speed is limited due to poor weather" or visibility. This is not only an issue in rain, but also happens when driving into the sunrise, sunset, or fog (even light fog that creates very little visibility concerns).

My wife and I just experienced this speed limiting "feature" on a road trip this weekend while driving in light drizzle, both using TACC and AP. It is completely understandable in heavy rain, in which I would have already taken over full manual control of the car, but this was far from heavy rain. We had to manually drive the car or we would have had an angry line of drivers backed up behind us if I would have continued to let the car drive as a speed well under the speed limit.

Reactions: GHammer