Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Factory is shut for the week of July 27 for retooling for model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this is the time of year when most US car manufactures shut down lines to re-tool for the next year production. Previous year model production ends in June. Next year production begins in August. While Tesla doesn't have production "years" it still follows line retooling. If you recall, we had a two week shut down in August 2014 to set up a MX line, AutoPilot and D. I am sure they are beefing that up again.

I have a warm and fuzzy feeling that this could be real.

It is possible that there are only about 5 genuine members of this forum with about 1000 sock puppet accounts. The problem is that with so many alternative accounts they forget which is there's and which isn't, so they end up having real arguments with themselves. Sometimes 100 page threads could be just 1 person accidentally arguing with themselves. :biggrin:

It is possible that there are only about 5 genuine members of this forum with about 1000 sock puppet accounts. The problem is that with so many alternative accounts they forget which is there's and which isn't, so they end up having real arguments with themselves. Sometimes 100 page threads could be just 1 person accidentally arguing with themselves. :biggrin:

Wow, that'd be indeed quite funny. I just imagined NigelM and AnxietyRanger as being one and the same person arguing with himself...think about this... And maybe Bonnie is just Nigel's third account then?! :scared:

Or... now I got it right, I think... in the beginning there was Bonnie. Then, for enternainment purposes she created NigelM. And after all those years of schizophrenia, Bonnie got paranoid schizophrenia and created AnxietyRanger for full complexity! I believe the scales have just fallen from my eyes... BONNIE! CONFESS!

Last edited:

Now now 1208. In our last talk in the mirror, we agreed that we wouldn't disclose this on the forum.

This is the best thread in a while. I think TM successfully found the time it takes from revealing a new model to psychosis taking over, just by watching these forums. I mean, look at us. They'll wait to unveil the 3 until they have a line started, hopefully.

Wow, that'd be indeed quite funny. I just imagined NigelM and AnxietyRanger as being one and the same person arguing with himself...think about this... And maybe Bonnie is just Nigel's third account then?! :scared:

Or... now I got it right, I think... in the beginning there was Bonnie. Then, for enternainment purposes she created NigelM. And after all those years of schizophrenia, Bonnie got paranoid schizophrenia and created AnxietyRanger for full complexity! I believe the scales have just fallen from my eyes... BONNIE! CONFESS!
It seems to me you are on to something there, no response at all! :) ;)

Anonymous sources are hardly a new invention. They are pertinent to the free flow of information (and at times, thoughts). I agree assessing their reliability is hard, but that is part of the territory.

As for NDAs, I won't doubt a known members word if they deny having one, no worries. I agree person under an NDA might not be in a position to comment on it.

As for OT, most of this thread is. But to get back: I think the OPs claims are plausible, as is him/her knowing someone who works at Tesla. Of course we have many other pointers to this bit of info, not just OP.

It will certainly be interesting to see if OPs nosecone claims bear fruit. He/she of course isn't the only one to hint at such there, as we recall the September leakster claiming nosecone would be gone (similar rumor though not same).

Well in journalism you think the New York Times or any responsible news organization uses anonymous sources from the Internet for stories without verifying some or all of the information? The sources aren't anonymous to them usually. They are to us. Big difference.

Of course the claims are plausible, they are common sense. Also he claimed to know someone at a Tesla, we don't know that.

More likely the factory isn't actually shutting down, rather they will be producing Model X to such a degree that it's no longer possible to hide from public view. Stopping the factory tour buys them a little more time and reduces the risk someone leaks images of the production car. If they were truly shutting down the factory for any significant length of time, that's stock affecting news which they would have announced.

This makes a lot of sense to me. When I took the factory tour for the second time last month, much of Line 2 where the X (and S) will be built was in plain view, though a few parts were obscured by huge sheets of plastic hanging from the ceiling. It would be a lot of work to hide views of the X going along Line 2, and why bother? Just suspend tours for awhile.
More likely the factory isn't actually shutting down, rather they will be producing Model X to such a degree that it's no longer possible to hide from public view. Stopping the factory tour buys them a little more time and reduces the risk someone leaks images of the production car. If they were truly shutting down the factory for any significant length of time, that's stock affecting news which they would have announced.

:biggrin: Brilliant

And might I add: The range of anxiety over the Model 3 launch will be vast and unrelenting, and possibly with an unexpected spoiler popping up.

Screen Shot 2015-07-30 at 7.25.01 AM.png

Seems to me that every single person with manufacturing experience is saying that 'high gear' next week is implausible. But hey, bless your heart if you want to believe the opposite. :)

I'm not getting stuck on a subjective interpretation of a single word or two. I agree max capacity at week 1 is unlikely. I do think proper production start (opposes to release candidate pace) is plausible.

Seems to me that every single person with manufacturing experience is saying that 'high gear' next week is implausible. But hey, bless your heart if you want to believe the opposite. :)

NigelM, let me just say that 'high gear' is definitely happening. I wasn't going to reveal this information because I wasn't sure if it was covered by my NDA, but since it was something that I accidently discovered on a factory tour, rather than actually part of the tour, I thought I had some wiggle room.

While on a factory tour a few weeks back, I was looking for the toilet and discovered a janitorial room door that was opened a crack. I took a quick look inside expecting to see mops and buckets, but was surprised to see a large, pristine white room, with a single Herman Miller Aeron chair in front of a large console with multiple monitors. I'm pretty sure that the person with the plaid shirt sitting in the chair was Elon Musk himself. To the right of the chair was a lever with 5 settings: Off; High; Insane; Ludicrous; and the last setting was the longest and mostly taped over, I only could make out the last 3 letters: "..aid".

Since the lever was in the 'High' gear setting, I can confidently say that Tesla has moved into 'High Gear', confirming the OP.

I hope this helps.

NigelM, let me just say that 'high gear' is definitely happening. I wasn't going to reveal this information because I wasn't sure if it was covered by my NDA, but since it was something that I accidently discovered on a factory tour, rather than actually part of the tour, I thought I had some wiggle room.

While on a factory tour a few weeks back, I was looking for the toilet and discovered a janitorial room door that was opened a crack. I took a quick look inside expecting to see mops and buckets, but was surprised to see a large, pristine white room, with a single Herman Miller Aeron chair in front of a large console with multiple monitors. I'm pretty sure that the person with the plaid shirt sitting in the chair was Elon Musk himself. To the right of the chair was a lever with 5 settings: Off; High; Insane; Ludicrous; and the last setting was the longest and mostly taped over, I only could make out the last 3 letters: "..aid".

Since the lever was in the 'High' gear setting, I can confidently say that Tesla has moved into 'High Gear', confirming the OP.

I hope this helps.

Just shoot me now.

Photos or it didn't happen.