Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entry to car without key -- Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 P85D here. Latest version of software 2018.4.

First post here so go easy on me!

I noticed this same issue several software revs back and figured it was a bug but wanted to see if anyone else could recreate it or educate me on what I have done to make this possible.

With all the doors locked and no key on me I am able to go to the driver side rear door and push on the handle, then the handle extends and lets me into the car, the alarm then is triggered. Even though the alarm goes off I now have full access to the car.

Anyone else run into this? Is it a setting I am missing?

That is definitely not normal and you should probably have the service center check it out. Does it happen if you touch any other handles?

I know that if you leave a key inside the car then it will never really lock and you can touch the handles and get in as you describe, but in that case the alarm wouldn’t go off, so I don’t think that’s what’s happening here.

If you're sure your fobs are well out of range and this is happening... it's a problem

car should not be so willing as to let people in ... that door is failing to lock

it's not recognizing the logical state of "being locked".... if you think about it.. "locking the doors" on model S really just means the handles and trunk button shall "ignore touches".

If a door handle touch is simply ignored, there's no presentment of handles... and you don't get in

You don't mention in your OP, but when you touch the rear handle does just that one handle present, or do they all present? If it's just that one handle it's clearly a logic fault on the controller on that one handle.

It may be fixed with recalibration of that one part or it may take a new handle to cure.

If this problem suddenly appeared after a software update... one handle didn't get the new firmware or failed to sync up with the car..
perhaps the door was ajar when the update happened in the middle of the night?

Try rebooting the software in the car.

If that doesn't help, try by pulling fuses for door handle controllers. Re-insert

If that doesn't help you are visiting a service center.