Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon & Twitter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon thinks an exercise of free speech (people voicing opinions to advertisers) is a violation of free speech.

I'm not sure he could pass a Civics 101 class.

EDIT - who is "they?" Very easy to play the victim when you can't define whoever is supposedly trying to suppress your speech.

These advertisers are not exercising free speech, they are being pressured by activist groups. I suspect they are even being blackmailed with the threat of a boycott.

You can read, so why don’t you read what Elon posted.

And people here can mock wine on tap and high-end coffee machines all they want but they’re not particularly expensive and are part of the world he’s competing in for talent.
Absolutely. Infact it's incredible how people you might pay $1,000+ per day care a lot about free latte instead of paying $5.

High turnovers and low employee morale OTOH are very, very expensive.

Reactions: DeepFrz
These advertisers are not exercising free speech, they are being pressured by activist groups. I suspect they are even being blackmailed with the threat of a boycott.

Everything you describe (activists speaking out, protesting, boycotting) ARE uses of free speech. And this was predicted - Elon turns Twitter into a dumpster fire of unclear moderation and wholesale staff firings resulting in the notoriously skittish advertisers pulling back at least till it's clear what his "leadership" will cause. There are plenty of other places to advertise - why risk putting your brand in the chaos pool when you don't have to?

Elon - "Going to execute the X.com gameplan from 22 years ago for Twitter. The plan would make a better PayPal, the worlds most valuable financial company."
"who would stay on the platform if there is all the hate and racism? The goal is to get 80% of the public, maybe not far left or far right onto Twitter and make it public town square."

I doubt Elon even understands what is "far right" and "far left". Afterall he is linking articles that would be termed "far right".

I think the real problem is - driving "far left" away is likely to antagonize the "left" and "far right" away will antagonize the right. So, what will be left ?

ps : Or for that matter if there is such a thing as far right / left - since the "center" shifts all the time. Afterall Nixon's healthcare plan was painted as extreme when Obama implemented it - even though all OECD countries have similar healthcare. BLM was considered far left and even Hillary wouldn't talk to them. But after some events, it became mainstream enough for corporate America to start talking about them.

Elon repeatedly falls for conspiracy theories. He is not a credible source.
Yep -, as I wrote earlier - after Alameda tried to close Fremont, he started coming under the influence of alt-right influencers and keeps posting all kinds of fringe conspiracy theories.

ps : Ironically some of the alt-right folks were also TSLAQ people, but I guess, Elon doesn't know that.

Annoying because though he claims to have voted Democrat all along, it seems some of them decided to hold him up as poster-boy billionaire and therefore bad and to be attacked. I feel like that pushed him away (not just politically, but in real life, to Texas!).

Unfortunately now he's promoting mad conspiracy theories and generally being an awful person. No wonder advertisers are moving away, they don't want to be associated with that craziness. And yet he blames... activists? What? Doesn't he realize he himself is who's showing toxic behavior? Going after AOC for... selling apparel? What happened to the Short Shorts Elon sold for a similar price? Why is he lashing out uncontrollably?

Activists using their free speech doesn't = blackmail, even if Elon thinks it might be. Elon has proven he'll fall for completely fake stories.

So basically activists that disagree with Elon should be muzzled. Free speech works both ways.

If pressuring companies to stop advertising on a platform, which in fact limits the free speech of those companies, is what you consider to be ‘free speech’, then I don’t know what to say anymore. You leave me literally speechless.

It’s his private company and he can muzzle bully groups actively trying to harm it.
How is it free speech town-square if he is muzzling voices he does not like?
As he stated, there is no change in Twitter moderation policy!
You see:
- Before Elon's takeover Twitter was censoring content that the owners/management did not like
- After Elon's takeover Twitter is censoring content that the owners/management does not like

Bingo, no change in moderation policy.
Just under different management, that's all

There’s a letter circulating around that claims 90 days of severance will be paid. Sounds like they’ve figured it out and are actually being more generous than they need be.
Found it.
16FC56C7-DED6-4E80-B9D8-29D0D15592B6.jpeg

How is it free speech town-square if he is muzzling voices he does not like?
As he stated, there is no change in Twitter moderation policy!
You see:
- Before Elon's takeover Twitter was censoring content that the owners/management did not like
- After Elon's takeover Twitter is censoring content that the owners/management does not like

Bingo, no change in moderation policy.
Just under different management, that's all
There is a difference between moderating users who post objectionable content and moderating bully groups that are actively trying to destroy your business by blackmail.

Status
Not open for further replies.