Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And now there is a MY - RWD option. $43990 - creates more separation from the LR; but .... 6.6s ? dang. Remember when Elon said Tesla doesn't make slow cars ? c.2017. It is very hard to image that will be discounted very much any time soon.

I have one of the rare standard range single motor Model Y's from back in 2021 when it was sold for a couple months. My car is actually one of the extra rare 980 motor vehicles (Performance motor) made during the time they had a motor shortage and had to use the better motor. Mine definitely is way faster than 6.6s.

How many times can I say motor in a single sentence. :)

Reactions: pipestem
I have one of the rare standard range single motor Model Y's from back in 2021 when it was sold for a couple months. My car is actually one of the extra rare 980 motor vehicles (Performance motor) made during the time they had a motor shortage and had to use the better motor. Mine definitely is way faster than 6.6s.

How many times can I say motor in a single sentence. :)
Yeah, it shows 5.3 seconds:
1696366375146.png

How's your range, though?

How? We totaled a 2020 leaf SV in June with 37k and only got about $17-18k from insurance, which was fair--that is market value for them.

I firmly believe we won't see a $40k model Y. It's just too much car for that--at least as long as the federal tax credit remains.
My Leaf qualifies for the battery warranty. Nissan was replacing the batteries but are mostly buying back the cars now. They use your state’s lemon law formula.
  1. The full purchase price,
  2. All collateral charges (e.g., sales tax, license and registration fees, and similar government charges),
  3. All finance charges incurred by the consumer after they first report the nonconformity, and
  4. Any incidental damages and monetary consequential damages,
  5. Less a reasonable allowance calculated by taking the number of miles attributed to the consumer’s use up to the earlier of the date of the third repair attempt or the 20th cumulative business day the vehicle is out of service for repair, divided by 120,000.
Nissan does not factor tax rebates into the formula. It’s easy to get them to reduce the usage deduction by 50%. It’s possible to have them waive the usage completely.

It will be interesting to see how low awd Model Y prices go next year. We saw $44k so when the new version comes out I think $40 is a possibility. Maybe not. As a soon to be owner, I kind of hope not.

Yeah, it shows 5.3 seconds:
View attachment 979352

How's your range, though?

So range is pretty good still. It started with 244 miles as it stated and after three years and 64,000 miles on the odometer when I charge to 100% I show around 223 miles of range. The car gets used a lot so I charge at home to 85% daily and it ends the day with around 65 miles range left. I supercharge when I travel far which is 3-4 times a year.

nice! surprised it's not making more "news" I will be switching to RWD from my delivery this Fri. Hope they allow it!
As an owner of a 244 mile standard range RWD, make sure you are ok with that range for daily use (the new SR's can charge to 100% daily (260miles) due to the battery chemistry from what I heard) and that you will be making more charging stops on long drives.

I drive to Vegas a few times a year to see family and have to make two charging stops vs one if I had a long range. I have a long range Model X on order so I hope to make that trip in one stop or no stops with that vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
As an owner of a 244 mile standard range RWD, make sure you are ok with that range for daily use (the new SR's can charge to 100% daily (260miles) due to the battery chemistry from what I heard) and that you will be making more charging stops on long drives.

I drive to Vegas a few times a year to see family and have to make two charging stops vs one if I had a long range. I have a long range Model X on order so I hope to make that trip in one stop or no stops with that vehicle.
I've got you beat ;) 180 miles on my '19 SR 3. I'm hoping that SC is faster on this SR Y

Reactions: El joe and davenlei
I've got my wife to give me the OK to buy a model 3 or model y, and it will be by far our nicest car, and will likely be used as a grocery-getter and for hauling kids. The modely y clearly fits better for that. I'm struggling if it's worth the extra $7000 for even ordering a model y base config. We'd really prefer black with white interior (one exterior color we agree on, and we both like the white interior). I see you can save several thousands on and INVENTORY vehicle, and if I order a RWD model Y I can cancel if something more desirable shows up in inventory first.

I wonder about the INVENTORY vehicles though. Are they all vehicles that have been refused by someone? Or does Tesla just ship them all over the country to push up sales? I might be concerned if they are all refused vehicles. If INVENTORY is like SCRATCH & DENT, then maybe ordering is good to do. I see delivery is now Oct-Nov, and I want to make sure we take delivery before December 31.

Any thoughts on these topics?

Thanks!
Mike

@mknmike - no, they are not generally rejects. That could happen in a minority number of cases. If you don't like it you can reject it. Tesla makes enormous batches of cars and even if you order one they probably have already made it or will make as part of a huge batch. Many people order one only to have Tesla sales tell them there is one already in inventory. Let;s face it, there are not a lot of options.. Maybe there is a magical combination that is not made in batch, idk. I have bought 2 Teslas from order, before the days of inventory, and now 2 from inventory. No difference for mine. I would not fear the inventory.

I wonder about the INVENTORY vehicles though. Are they all vehicles that have been refused by someone? Or does Tesla just ship them all over the country to push up sales? I might be concerned if they are all refused vehicles. If INVENTORY is like SCRATCH & DENT, then maybe ordering is good to do. I see delivery is now Oct-Nov, and I want to make sure we take delivery before December 31.

Thanks!
Mike
Yes, they do include rejects and orders that the buyer backed out of. They could also be surplus builds. Roll the dice and see what you get. There are some pretty good deals, though. If it has an issue, you can reject it.

Yes, they do include rejects and orders that the buyer backed out of. They could also be surplus builds. Roll the dice and see what you get. There are some pretty good deals, though. If it has an issue, you can reject it.
the only problem is you can only roll the dice twice. I guess you could have the same problem with custom orders too.

I've got my wife to give me the OK to buy a model 3 or model y, and it will be by far our nicest car, and will likely be used as a grocery-getter and for hauling kids. The modely y clearly fits better for that. I'm struggling if it's worth the extra $7000 for even ordering a model y base config. We'd really prefer black with white interior (one exterior color we agree on, and we both like the white interior). I see you can save several thousands on and INVENTORY vehicle, and if I order a RWD model Y I can cancel if something more desirable shows up in inventory first.

Test drive both. I think the Y is worth it. I would go with inventory to save money. If you check inventory often you will see the stale ones. You will know when you see deals. I think there will be good deals before Thanksgiving and early Dec. Get the one you will keep for years.

Thanks!
Mike
I picked up my inventory Y today. Originally ordered a W/W LR7 and was waiting on a VIN. A G/W LR7 showed up as "in Transit" with a $4630 discount so swapped it. My wife is so angry now we didn't get white exterior , but 9% discount and I can live with a few days of anger :)

Thanks!
Mike
There is no reason to think Tesla doesn’t overproduce just like every other manufacturer. They aren’t going to shut the line down and then turn it back on and then shut it down to perfectly match immediate current orders. if there’s any issue with inventory cars, I certainly haven’t seen one in mine!

Given the significant discount getting inventory, I think you’d have to be nuts to custom order.