Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cost to charge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a 19 year Austin Energy customer. To the OP, you have significantly underestimated the cost. Your rate is 7.814+ 3.139+0.154+0.124+0.335+1.252, or 12.818 cents per kWh in the 1000-1500 kWh monthly tier. Source: https://austinenergy.com/ae/residential/rates/residential-electric-rates-and-line-items.

That's more like it (still way cheaper than me though). My rate is 19.5 cents per KwH, but a quick look and people can get confused thinking it is around 7.5 cents per KwH, forgetting that there also a charge per KwH for power supply charge, delivery charge, etc. that needs to be added to get the TOTAL per KwH.

Reactions: derotam
Northern Ca rates are about .22 kwh and up. The way the bill reads it looks like the rate is lower but there are separate charges for "generation" and "delivery" and it adds up to a lot. Supercharging is .32/ kwh
Even with a special timed plan it would cost me a LOT more b/c I don't drive a lot and the day and shoulder rates (refrigerator, tv, etc) are so high that the little I'd save "off" time doesn't work for me.
We can only envy you o_O (although maybe not your weather ;) )

Reactions: derotam
I gotta say, some of the electrical rates you guys are talking had me really surprised. Nothing is free, though, and high cost of doing business has to be paid for by somebody.

Regardless though, still substantially cheaper than gas. Out here gas prices are much cheaper than the West Coast; I saw as low as $2.19 yesterday for regular 87 octane.