Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chill Mode usage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
A 2021 year (Fremont picked up Dec. 2020) M3 LR user.
I love the car apart from the usual smallish reservations. Windscreen wipers / occasional camera blocked or not working notices.
When I test drove the car originally it was set to chill and it seemed more than quick enough for me.
So when the big day came to pick up my own car I set it to chill and have not changed it since.
Anybody else doing the same?
Presumably if sensibly driven we get longer tyre life and better mileage. Yes I rarely go over 60mph.
And yes a much slower car would have been more suitable. But I really like the minimalism. The good looks of the car. Good sound system and mapping and find the car very comfortable.

If you like it on Chill, then leave it on Chill. It's an option for a reason; there's nothing wrong with that.

I used to be Standard all the way, but I just put brand new tires on mine and it's been in Chill mode since.

I've honestly gotten used to it and Chill mode is perfectly fine for city driving and still accelerates faster than most ICE vehicles. I will often bump it to Standard for the highway though, just easier to accelerate up to speed when merging.

Reactions: adayley
Hi
A 2021 year (Fremont picked up Dec. 2020) M3 LR user.
I love the car apart from the usual smallish reservations. Windscreen wipers / occasional camera blocked or not working notices.
When I test drove the car originally it was set to chill and it seemed more than quick enough for me.
So when the big day came to pick up my own car I set it to chill and have not changed it since.
Presumably if sensibly driven we get longer tyre life and better mileage. Yes I rarely go over 60mph.
And yes a much slower car would have been more suitable. But I really like the minimalism. The good looks of the car. Good sound system and mapping and find the car very comfortable.
Sure! You drive it how you want to drive it. It will save you tires more if you drive slower and have slower launches.

I had it in "chill" at first, but quickly found it to be non-linear and frustrating.
Changed to "standard", Took a day or two to re-calibrate my foot, and have kept it in "standard" for the last 5 years.

You don't need to go foot-to-the-floor on every acceleration, and the rest of the time the pedal response is more linear, predictable, and easier to manage. For me.

YMMV,
a

Had it in standard for a few months after purchase but also switched to chill. It's provided more than enough acceleration when needed and just seems easier to maintain normal traffic speeds around town. Not interested in going through tires faster than necessary.

2018 3 LR 48,000 miles on first set of tires not on chill. Just above wear bars, but changed them as wet weather was on the way for October to May wet season. Rotated them twice. I hear of people only getting 15K out the OEM tires. Are they drifting on the way home every day?

Reactions: ODWms
2018 3 LR 48,000 miles on first set of tires not on chill. Just above wear bars, but changed them as wet weather was on the way for October to May wet season. Rotated them twice. I hear of people only getting 15K out the OEM tires. Are they drifting on the way home every day?
I’ve received similar longevity from my first 2 sets of 20” Michelin PS4s. Now, on my 3rd set of tires (Pirellis this time).

Only about 7k miles so far, but I’m interested to see if the tire wear will be the same. I’ve heard that the Pirellis don’t last as long.

My M3P was set to standard for the year I had it. I put it in chill once and just laughed. OE tires lasted 8,600 miles, and the replacement set was about halfway gone after another 8,000. Traded it in at 17k for a Plaid. The OE tires on that thing are about half gone after 4K, and that includes two track days. The Plaid also stays in "Plaid" mode 100% of the time, unless I use track or drag strip mode. Both cars are extremely easy to drive, never once have I had unintended acceleration or anything like that. Both cars are also beat on every chance possible. Buying a "fast" car and expending any thought or energy whatsoever on driving it like a grandpa is akin to repeatedly punching yourself in the balls.

That's not true.
Selection of throttle mapping has NO impact on range, or battery pack preheating levels.

a
“You can improve efficiency of the cabin heating by reducing your selected acceleration mode, allowing the heat pump to take more heat from the battery to efficiently heat the cabin instead of maintaining the battery’s ability to provide peak acceleration performance. ‘Chill’ is the most energy efficient mode, especially in cold weather.”

I use Chill and low Regen for a driver setting I call "SnowDay". And, if I let someone else drive my car, I set it to SnowDay, because it's the closest feeling to a regular ICE in terms of acceleration and braking.

“You can improve efficiency of the cabin heating by reducing your selected acceleration mode, allowing the heat pump to take more heat from the battery to efficiently heat the cabin instead of maintaining the battery’s ability to provide peak acceleration performance. ‘Chill’ is the most energy efficient mode, especially in cold weather.”

I see your location as Austin. Heating was something that you stopped about a month ago and won't use again for 8 months?

And how much range has the Energy pages indicated that you used for heating?

Chill is basically a limited accelerator. I am quite adept at doing that myself. If I want to accelerate at 1 mph per minute, that's easy to do.