Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Breathless in Hawaii

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsmith2189

Aug 18, 2012
After the SC picked up my loaner P85 I began to notice the lack of acceleration that my own S85 had. When I first got it I marveled at its acceleration, what had happened to dull my dream.

I got a call from my doctor as I was posting in another thread. I explained my symptoms: a hoarse cough, lack of appetite, trouble breathing and pain if I breathed in to deeply. My cough was troubling him so he began to suggest scheduling some more tests to figure out what was going on. As we spoke he took a look at my recent chest X-ray and his demeanor changed. He told me to go the emergency room immediately.

I checked into the emergency room and they hooked up the wires and monitors, stuck me with needles and stole my blood. The nurses came to check on my and it seemed my O2 levels were low and I needed to get my heart rate up or they would need to admit me. Lying there waiting for the doctor to return I began wondering. Does this hospital have EV charging stations? I needed a place to plug in my phone and my car.

It was then I asked about the nearest charger, one nurse said the nearest charger was at a nearby shopping center. None at the hospital, not even a Level 1. Asked what car I drove I gladly volunteered that I had a Tesla model S. She had hadn’t heard of Tesla so I began to tell her, “Best Car Ever”, “Safest Car Ever”. The Doctor came to check me one more time before doing the admission paperwork as we were talking about the MS. As he peaked in the curtain he saw that that my O2 levels were up and my heart rate was normal. Before he left he remarked that my O2 levels had gone up 5 points just while we were talking. He would get my prescriptions together and they would release me soon.

It just leaves me with questions.
Was my illness the result of finally driving a P85 and then having to give it up?
Did my MS keep me from being admitted to the hospital?
How can I upgrade to P? Will I ever recover? Cough, cough, cough.

After the SC picked up my loaner P85 I began to notice the lack of acceleration that my own S85 had. When I first got it I marveled at its acceleration, what had happened to dull my dream.

I got a call from my doctor as I was posting in another thread. I explained my symptoms: a hoarse cough, lack of appetite, trouble breathing and pain if I breathed in to deeply. My cough was troubling him so he began to suggest scheduling some more tests to figure out what was going on. As we spoke he took a look at my recent chest X-ray and his demeanor changed. He told me to go the emergency room immediately.

I checked into the emergency room and they hooked up the wires and monitors, stuck me with needles and stole my blood. The nurses came to check on my and it seemed my O2 levels were low and I needed to get my heart rate up or they would need to admit me. Lying there waiting for the doctor to return I began wondering. Does this hospital have EV charging stations? I needed a place to plug in my phone and my car.

It was then I asked about the nearest charger, one nurse said the nearest charger was at a nearby shopping center. None at the hospital, not even a Level 1. Asked what car I drove I gladly volunteered that I had a Tesla model S. She had hadn’t heard of Tesla so I began to tell her, “Best Car Ever”, “Safest Car Ever”. The Doctor came to check me one more time before doing the admission paperwork as we were talking about the MS. As he peaked in the curtain he saw that that my O2 levels were up and my heart rate was normal. Before he left he remarked that my O2 levels had gone up 5 points just while we were talking. He would get my prescriptions together and they would release me soon.

It just leaves me with questions.
Was my illness the result of finally driving a P85 and then having to give it up?
Did my MS keep me from being admitted to the hospital?
How can I upgrade to P? Will I ever recover? Cough, cough, cough.

great story...all I can say is damn you Tesla for providing P85 loaner cars, knowing full well that we'll like it so much that we'll want to upgrade! dsmith...At least it's not too much of stretch for you to upgrade since you've already got an 85 :)

Yes, Dave. I believe skibum is correct. Your best medicine is to simply order a P85. So, now that we have decided that for you, what color this time? Will that be standard 19's or fancy 21's? Don't forget the parking sensors. Even if you don't want them, everyone else will envy you for having them (so I am told).

Yes, Dave. I believe skibum is correct. Your best medicine is to simply order a P85. So, now that we have decided that for you, what color this time? Will that be standard 19's or fancy 21's? Don't forget the parking sensors. Even if you don't want them, everyone else will envy you for having them (so I am told).
Pearl White is the fastest color

Yikes Dave! Doesn't sound good! Take care and hope you feel better soon. I think placing an order for the P85 is the prescription you need.

Thanks for your concern. I've finished with my round of antibiotics, and the only thing I have left is my Robotusin-DM (as needed). the pain when I breathe is mostly gone, but I still have trouble exerting myself (like walking to the fridge for at cold drink) ANY exertion results in hyperventilation. I was actually thinking about another stop at the ER to check and see if my recovery was on track or if I needed something else to get me breathing right.

Since everybody feels bad for me, I was thinking that they should each chip in a little for me to get a P85 to replace my S85. The same color with all the same options plus Akikiki's parking sensors.
let's see about 120 MS on island would come out to about $900 from each. (feel free to give extra if you think I deserve the P85+ like texe91 suggested). Thank you so very much. Cash is appreciated.

Thanks for your concern. I've finished with my round of antibiotics, and the only thing I have left is my Robotusin-DM (as needed). the pain when I breathe is mostly gone, but I still have trouble exerting myself (like walking to the fridge for at cold drink) ANY exertion results in hyperventilation. I was actually thinking about another stop at the ER to check and see if my recovery was on track or if I needed something else to get me breathing right.

Since everybody feels bad for me, I was thinking that they should each chip in a little for me to get a P85 to replace my S85. The same color with all the same options plus Akikiki's parking sensors.
let's see about 120 MS on island would come out to about $900 from each. (feel free to give extra if you think I deserve the P85+ like texe91 suggested). Thank you so very much. Cash is appreciated.

Yeah, that sounds like you should check back with your doc (speaking as a medical professional) - an urgent care somewhere would be fine too if you don't have a regular doc. :)

Yeah, that sounds like you should check back with your doc (speaking as a medical professional) - an urgent care somewhere would be fine too if you don't have a regular doc. :)

I'm back. after my last post on Sunday, I stopped at the ER to double check on things. Got out today.
Good thing, the reason I was short of breath after being treated for pneumonia is that I have a Pulmonary embolism (PE) AKA... A large blood clot in my left lung. (the pneumonia was in my right lung)
While in the hospital I kept on getting nurses checking to see if there was anything I needed in my car. I needed my USB cable and AC to USB charging adapter for my phone. I was able to use my Tesla Phone app to show them where the car was. the first nurse only got the cable and the second got the AC adapter. A third just wanted to see the car in person.
in addition to blood thinners I am on supplemental oxygen.

Word of caution: be gentle accelerating with an Oxygen tank in the trunk. they tend to roll, even when wedged in.

the good news is that I had VisibleTesla application running the whole time and tracked my vampire loss. I will have to study the graphs to see what they show.

the good news is that I had VisibleTesla application running the whole time and tracked my vampire loss. I will have to study the graphs to see what they show.
Ignore the VisibleTesla data. my computer did an update and closed my visibletesla in a bad way. no more vampire loss data over a long period of non driving.

Take care, DSmith. Hope you recover fully soon.
Ditto :smile:
Fast recovery dsmith! A PE is no small thing. Lucky they picked it up.
dsmith, wow. Surely glad the found the cause of your recent shortness of breath. Glad you are feeling better, and speedy return to your "spirited driving".
dsmith, I hope you are feeling better. Was it from inactivity or was there some trauma to your legs? Recent travel?

A bit of topic but....
Thanks, no recent travel. (I guess my trip to San Francisco and Las Vegas in Oct is postponed) No trauma to legs. plenty of exercise with my right leg pushing on the "GO" pedal in my MS.
the only change I had to my normal routine is that I went to the doctor about a month ago to schedule a physical and one of those "men over 50" exams. a week later all H*** broke loose.
unable to move my left arm (then a few days later I could), worsening cough, pain in joints appearing and disappearing, headaches, disturbing dreams, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, trouble breathing and the list goes on.
have to carry an Oxygen bottle with me for the next few weeks and take Coumadin.

Last edited:
Ignore the VisibleTesla data. my computer did an update and closed my visibletesla in a bad way. no more vampire loss data over a long period of non driving.

A bit of topic but....
Thanks, no recent travel. (I guess my trip to San Francisco and Las Vegas in Oct is postponed) No trauma to legs. plenty of exercise with my right leg pushing on the "GO" pedal in my MS.
the only change I had to my normal routine is that I went to the doctor about a month ago to schedule a physical and one of those "men over 50" exams. a week later all H*** broke loose.
unable to move my left arm (then a few days later I could), worsening cough, pain in joints appearing and disappearing, headaches, disturbing dreams, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, trouble breathing and the list goes on.
have to carry an Oxygen bottle with me for the next few weeks and take Coumadin.

Well, glad to hear that it got addressed! Get better soon. ;)

Still on O2.
the MS is not really set up to handle tanks of oxygen. instead of laying the oxygen tank on it's side I found that standing it upright strapped to the back of the front seat is more secure. on it's side it tends to roll either on the wheels of it's cart or side to side if the wheels are up. Still not the best solution.
If I had the P85+ I might see about installing a permanent oxygen system for use in the launch sequence.