Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

another schmelted UMC, anyone cut off plug and hardware new one on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I schmelted one very early on back in 2013 on the 1st gen adapters which Tesla replaced, and now last night schmelted another one with the newer gen adapter. different house than before, nothing wrong with electrical here. probably just wasn't seated right. don't care. outlet is fine. anyway, what I do care about is that Tesla wont replace this one. They want me to spend $550 for a new UMC which is absurd IMO.

What I want to know is if anyone cut off the *ADAPTER WALL* part of their UMC and hardwired up a standard 14-50 plug to it so at least to salvage the UMC instead of wasting it completely. I searched a bit because I thought I remembered someone else doing this, but could only find older thread for the jesla's, which is cutting off and replacing the OTHER end of it that connects to the car. At first I thought this would be easy to do, and I figured it's been done before, so I'd come here and double check with some of the electrical pro's on here first to make sure there's no 'gotchas' that I might miss that would make this impossible or dangerous (outside of the normal dangerous don't-do-it-if-youve-never-touched-electrical-wiring-before kind of stuff, lol. **BUT** actually now that I'm thinking about it more, I'm guessing it's not possible, because don't these adapters have resistors in them that control the current? hardwiring an OTS adapter from home depot or something wouldn't have this, thus making this impossible to too dangerous right?

anyway just wondering what others have done (besides buy a new UMC).

88514DF0-EF90-49FF-94CD-60EF7B4183EF.JPG

65493BDA-9156-4287-87B6-2621D00CAB8E.JPG

oh and btw forgot to mention I tried using this again as I needed a charge to go anyway, and while it still works as-is and will charge at 40A, the adapter is completely fused together now and I can't pull it off.

I schmelted one very early on back in 2013 on the 1st gen adapters which Tesla replaced, and now last night schmelted another one with the newer gen adapter. different house than before, nothing wrong with electrical here. probably just wasn't seated right. don't care. outlet is fine. anyway, what I do care about is that Tesla wont replace this one. They want me to spend $550 for a new UMC which is absurd IMO.

What I want to know is if anyone cut off the *ADAPTER WALL* part of their UMC and hardwired up a standard 14-50 plug to it so at least to salvage the UMC instead of wasting it completely. I searched a bit because I thought I remembered someone else doing this, but could only find older thread for the jesla's, which is cutting off and replacing the OTHER end of it that connects to the car. At first I thought this would be easy to do, and I figured it's been done before, so I'd come here and double check with some of the electrical pro's on here first to make sure there's no 'gotchas' that I might miss that would make this impossible or dangerous (outside of the normal dangerous don't-do-it-if-youve-never-touched-electrical-wiring-before kind of stuff, lol. **BUT** actually now that I'm thinking about it more, I'm guessing it's not possible, because don't these adapters have resistors in them that control the current? hardwiring an OTS adapter from home depot or something wouldn't have this, thus making this impossible to too dangerous right?

anyway just wondering what others have done (besides buy a new UMC).

View attachment 202815

View attachment 202816

oh and btw forgot to mention I tried using this again as I needed a charge to go anyway, and while it still works as-is and will charge at 40A, the adapter is completely fused together now and I can't pull it off.

Yes, it has been done. You just have to put the correct resistor between ground and one of the wires to tell it what amperage to charge at.