Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

About time to unveil the D and something else

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if the paint department can handle it, but Tesla should really offer the P85D is a special color like burnt orange like other forum members previously spotted

uI5Fd82.jpg

Listen here, Princess Tesla...or is it Leftist Queen now? :tongue:

Fine, offer it in burnt orange, that'll give me another week of free entertainment.

Yeah, I've tried to find the politics that got me branded with that scarlet moniker. I guess asking people to be polite was too much?

Carry on! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I meant 'burnt orange' moniker. Clearly.

My DS told me that the motor spin backwards during regen. I didn't have the heart to correct him. In retrospect, I shouad have so he stops spread false info. I guess there's not much harm in him telling that theory.

Like hans's posts, this post confuses me.

The motor always spins in the same direction of the wheels, but power can flow from the battery to the motor, or vice versa. During acceleration, power from the battery is used to generate an electric field that increases forward torque on the rotor (inner rotating part of the motor). During deceleration (regen), the electric field created by the spinning rotor (from enertia) is resisted by the field of the stator (outer stationary part of the motor) and the difference generates electricity which is sent to the battery.

The direction of electric flow is proportional to the difference in the fields:
stator field > rotor field yields increased torque
stator field < rotor field yields decreased torque
in neutral the stator has no field, and the rotor spins freely (other than friction)

In all cases, the stator's field is directly proportional to its rotation (RPM). The Model S controls the stator field to produce the desired outcome.

Conceptually, you could think of regen as the "motor spinning backwards", which is why gavine decided not to correct his DS, but really it is just the flow of electrons that is reversed.

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_(electric)
Stator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Electric generator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. And, let me add, a reason for the change to "fly by wire" is so that auto-pilot can intervene and brake (and steer) for you. If steering and braking remained mechanical, that would not be possible.

Drive by wire could also be accomplished by a mechanical system that converts commands into movement. Picture a small motor behind the brake pedal that physically moves the pedal or turns the wheel, thereby overriding the driver*. However, that would result in far more lag (delay) than the system that Tesla has implemented.

*Grant does this sort of thing all the time on Mythbusters to remotely control full size cars.

Today, I wrote an email letter to Tesla Motors, asking them to re-consider the rolling up of P85 and P85+ lines into the P85D, and to offer both a P85D(no +) and a P85D+ to parallel the old P85 and P85+. That would give people more options to get into the performance level car, without the + additions, as well as opt for 19" wheels in colder climates.

But then once I sent it, I realized, perhaps this will be their plan all along?

By not offering a P85D (no +) and only offering the P85D+ now at a much higher price, they are capturing a segment of the market that's willing to immediately buy into, or trade-up to the P85D+ without regard to the price (essentially). If they did offer a P85D(no +) now, that would only cannibalize this hot "early adopter" market for the P85D+, and lower their margins.

So I predict that somewhere down the road, when TM has sold and delivered the early rush of P85D(+) cars, they will once again break out the + features into a separate option, and once again, offer the P85D(no +) car for a lot less cash and a 19" wheel option.

That's my prediction and hope. And if they do that, they'd have to send out lots of "+" emblems for people to attach to their existing P85D cars. :)

Today, I wrote an email letter to Tesla Motors, asking them to re-consider the rolling up of P85 and P85+ lines into the P85D, and to offer both a P85D(no +) and a P85D+ to parallel the old P85 and P85+. That would give people more options to get into the performance level car, without the + additions, as well as opt for 19" wheels in colder climates.

But then once I sent it, I realized, perhaps this will be their plan all along?

By not offering a P85D (no +) and only offering the P85D+ now at a much higher price, they are capturing a segment of the market that's willing to immediately buy into, or trade-up to the P85D+ without regard to the price (essentially). If they did offer a P85D(no +) now, that would only cannibalize this hot "early adopter" market for the P85D+, and lower their margins.

So I predict that somewhere down the road, when TM has sold and delivered the early rush of P85D(+) cars, they will once again break out the + features into a separate option, and once again, offer the P85D(no +) car for a lot less cash and a 19" wheel option.

That's my prediction and hope. And if they do that, they'd have to send out lots of "+" emblems for people to attach to their existing P85D cars. :)

I'd like to see that, too, but what I'd rather see is a sport suspension tune available on the lower trim levels--ideally with the coil suspension. I don't see Tesla doing this anytime soon, but maybe they'll do it once the demand levels off a bit.

I briefly considered a P, but ultimately decided it wasn't worth it, in part because it didn't come with any suspension upgrades. The + package never really entered my mind because it was just such an outrageously terrible value, especially when you count the "required" options that I didn't want (21s and air suspension).

I would probably have paid 3-4k for a sport suspension on my S85, though even that price would be highway robbery.

I'd assume LTE hardware is not there (yet). The blog post mentioned some more minor items, like the rear doors opening wider, but not that.

I'm also wondering if the backup guidance lines might be included. My understanding is that this requires additional hardware, or some change to the graphics components - i.e. can't be added with a software update. If this is ever going to be added, I would hope that it would be present on this next generation of the car.

The rearfacing camera has always been standard, but high-def was Tech package (at least originally, but I might have changed since).

- - - Updated - - -

Has there been any talk of something like Infiniti Around View System?

Around View® Monitor - Technology - Infiniti Now

http://www.infinitiusa.com/infinitihtml/media/culture/images/technology/around-view-monitor/four_cameras.jpg
View attachment 61217

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW, Elon stated quite explicitly that they have the hardware needed for these and related features to be fully supported going forward. As such, if he's wrong then owners will have a pretty strong argument that any additional sensors should be no-cost retrofits.

Elon has made similar statements in the past that you would "think" would give people an argument to demand he stand behind his word or honor what statements were made, but it hasn't panned out. I think as sensors and the technology improves there will be hardware changes and just as many other "improvements" have resulted in the need for expensive retrofits or even being unavailable for previous owners this will be the case with this as well.

Drive by wire could also be accomplished by a mechanical system that converts commands into movement. Picture a small motor behind the brake pedal that physically moves the pedal or turns the wheel, thereby overriding the driver*. However, that would result in far more lag (delay) than the system that Tesla has implemented.

*Grant does this sort of thing all the time on Mythbusters to remotely control full size cars.

Yep, you and @woof are correct, I overstated my point, should not have said "not possible". It is possible to have mechanical override. In fact, eventually there has to be something mechanical in the chain for steering, and also for brakes unless you go electromagnetic. Something has to turn/stop the wheels. Even if the driver input is relayed by wire.

However, not sure I'd want to build an auto pilot, or autonomous vehicle, around a fully mechanical override. Seems like a weak link that could/would lead to problems. I'd want input by wire - whether from driver's pedals/wheel, or from computer. I'm guessing Tesla engineers think like that as well, and reason for drive by wire on both steering and brakes for D (and beyond) is to create a solid base for their autonomous car ambition.

Elon has made similar statements in the past that you would "think" would give people an argument to demand he stand behind his word or honor what statements were made, but it hasn't panned out. I think as sensors and the technology improves there will be hardware changes and just as many other "improvements" have resulted in the need for expensive retrofits or even being unavailable for previous owners this will be the case with this as well.
While this is indeed true in regards of mr.Musk and several of his past comments one difference here is that Tesla now actually include most of this info on the ordering pages of the design studio now. An "in the heat of the moment"-type comment by Elon is one thing. Adding promises to salesmaterial is a completely different story in my mind. I will definetly complain to Tesla and demand reparations if they dont deliver on the promises now made in the design studio.