Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model Y updates and production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand that Tesla will be removing ultrasonic sensors in the 2023 model Y along with a few other updates.

I ordered my model Y 1 month ago and is expected to arrive between Feb and May 2023.

Is there any indication that the model Y I ordered will have these updates? Has production for this batch of model Ys begun already?

Thanks!

Generally, Tesla doesn't follow "year" updates.
So anything anyone said about changes is really just guesswork at this point. Some people mentioned even the upcoming 2022 deliveries will already have the USS removed

Some people mentioned even the upcoming 2022 deliveries will already have the USS removed
Shanghai cars on their way to UK/Europe are being built without USS and when a VIN is assigned a message pops up asking people to "accept" their car won't have ultrasonic sensors.

As far as I know in Australia we're still only being asked to confirm the removal of radar.

Tesla-EU-USS.png

Reactions: rx80
For a short period of time during this transition, Tesla Vision vehicles that are not equipped with USS will be delivered with some features temporarily limited or inactive, including:

• Park Assist: alerts you of surrounding objects when the vehicle is traveling <5 mph.
  • Autopark: automatically maneuvers into parallel or perpendicular parking spaces.
  • Summon: manually moves your vehicle forward or in reverse via the Tesla app.
  • Smart Summon: navigates your vehicle to your location or location of your choice via the Tesla app.

That is fairly irritating. I would expect the feature set of the software to be mature enough to not lose the function with the hardware changes before the hardware is removed.

I wish they figured out park assist (and the other features being removed) with Vision BEFORE they removed the USS, but it’s only supposed to be a “short time” until they bring it all back. I’m more concerned with the rumor they’re going to remove the stalks and add buttons to the steering wheel. Since I quickly got used to the last major UI change, I’m sure I’d acclimate to the buttons, but I’m sure that it will feel like I’m using a game controller to steer and control many functions which were on the stalks. I’ve never driven anything where I needed to control turn signals, headlights, etc. using a button. My EDD is November 29 - December 31, and while I accept USS will be gone by then, I really hope my vehicle still has the stalks!

I know it is a Model Y sub forum but I just picked up a model 3 RWD yesterday with vision only. I found out it is difficult for me to park in my garage while I have shelf against the wall and bicycles on the side wall when I park Model 3 in the garage. I wish it had the sensors so it could product the beep sounds to indicate how close to the object from the car.

How sweet. Take away features and charge more. Bean counters gone wild. Geez.
I still can't get over the electric car that comes without a charging cable.
When will tires and wheels become optional?
At some point, the TESLA vehicle is going to become optional.
Objects in the rearview mirror are closer than they appear!

Reactions: sfRonH
That is fairly irritating. I would expect the feature set of the software to be mature enough to not lose the function with the hardware changes before the hardware is removed.
I think they require cars without the ultrasonic sensors to be out and about for training their neural network - so instead of disabling these sensors on cars already in hands of existing owners they're relying on new owners and their new cars to be used for the training in the real world.

Yeah removing the parking sensors is just crazy. Vision might be useful for static objects but it's not going to see an animal or a kid moving below the bonnet.
i think they're using trajectory of objects in the cameras field of vision to cover areas not visible i.e like below the bonnet line.. end case would be if there is no trajectory whilst the object is in the field of vision and then suddenly the object moves then it is too late even with ultrasonics. e.g. a small rabbit on the road stunned whilst in the visibility of the cameras but then moves in front of the car.

i think they're using trajectory of objects in the cameras field of vision to cover areas not visible i.e like below the bonnet line.. end case would be if there is no trajectory whilst the object is in the field of vision and then suddenly the object moves then it is too late even with ultrasonics. e.g. a small rabbit on the road stunned whilst in the visibility of the cameras but then moves in front of the car.
The ultrasonics can definitely detect a small object such as a child. It beeps when people and pets move around the car while I’m parking. Vision can’t replace that if it can’t see them.

Reactions: Fazza
I think they require cars without the ultrasonic sensors to be out and about for training their neural network - so instead of disabling these sensors on cars already in hands of existing owners they're relying on new owners and their new cars to be used for the training in the real world.
That’s a fair point, although you could just exclude the ultrasound data from the input to the machine learning system. We’d need to have more information about how they are integrating data with and without the sensors. Taking the sensors out in anticipation of a fairly quick fix would certainly save production costs and complexity.

Reactions: Fazza