Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 Model S "oil in coolant"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible that when the brake pads were replaced, that someone tried to top up the brake fluid level, but poured it into the coolant tank?

Brake fluid isn't an oil. It's more like a coolant. It would probably mix with coolant and not be noticeable. By the looks of it, that was oil in his coolant system.

1701643401238.png

1701643470724.png

I would take that car back and refuse to take it home and refuse to leave until you speak to the Manager of that Service Center. Make a big fuss.

This is why and how Tesla is going to lose a lot of customer...POOR SERVICE...drives me nuts.

We thought of the brake fluid, but on top of the info given in the preceding posts the discs/pads were replaced before the HV battery, so any contamination would have been detected when the HV battery was replaced...

If anyone knows of a lab that can distinguish between different types of oil/fluid this would be useful info for us thank you

That does look like sabotage and I doubt that Tesla service center would do it. Likely came from break and tire place and done by someone hating the EV's Crazy people.
We really have nothing to base this on. How much contaminated fluid are we talking about here? This could have a disgruntled Tesla Service Tech doing something on their way out (rage-quitting), could have been an honest mistake (happens all of the time), or perhaps a part was replaced and had some contaminates somewhere on an inlet or outlet. I mistook an exterior bolt on a transmission case for a drain plug when I was 16. Out came all of the transmission fluid but so did the detent ball and spring. It was a pain to replace but it was necessary so that you didn't have to manually hold the gear selector into 2nd gear without it popping out.

Last edited:
Reactions: teko
We thought of the brake fluid, but on top of the info given in the preceding posts the discs/pads were replaced before the HV battery, so any contamination would have been detected when the HV battery was replaced...
I do not believe this is a reasonable assumption. I seriously doubt the HV battery replacement procedure involves any manner of inspecting the coolant beyond topping up the reservoir and purging the air in the system at the end of the procedure. Hell, the contamination might have caused the errors that made the battery fail too.

I’m in the “brake shop did this” camp. Not in a sabotage way, in the “inexperienced tech put brake fluid in the coolant reservoir and kept his mouth shut to keep his job” way.

Last edited:
Reactions: teko
Well if it is for the one valve it should take half the time hopefully. Half the labour and cost for just the single valve. That would tie in with someone else mentioning theirs cost about 280 quid

Wonder if the cold has caused it - minus 6 here today and don't think its been that cold in the 2.5 years i've had the car

Here is an update on our 2018 Model S.

We filed a "vandalism" claim with our insurance company.

They hired an investigative engineering firm that after a lot of work determined that our coolant was contaminated by "ATF-9", a lubricant that Tesla DOES USE IN THEIR CARS.

This means that on top of making a terrible mistake and pouring ATF-9 into our coolant loop, Tesla egregiously lied to us with their story of an "analysis that showed that the coolant was contaminated by motor oil that we don't stock here".

I really hope the insurance company goes after this bunch of crooks that left their customer with a totalled car and a bunch of bullshit explanations.

Here is an update on our 2018 Model S.

We filed a "vandalism" claim with our insurance company.

They hired an investigative engineering firm that after a lot of work determined that our coolant was contaminated by "ATF-9", a lubricant that Tesla DOES USE IN THEIR CARS.

This means that on top of making a terrible mistake and pouring ATF-9 into our coolant loop, Tesla egregiously lied to us with their story of an "analysis that showed that the coolant was contaminated by motor oil that we don't stock here".

I really hope the insurance company goes after this bunch of crooks that left their customer with a totalled car and a bunch of bullshit explanations.
Many thanks for the update, I was wondering what the outcome was. I'm really sorry to hear just how badly you have been treated. Unbelievable.

Here is the conclusion of the report:

In light of our observations, verifications, and analysis, we are of the opinion that:

1. The vehicle's coolant has been contaminated by a liquid with the characteristics of mineral or semi-synthetic oils.
  2. The contaminating liquid is not motor oil.
  3. The contaminating liquid shares several characteristics with automatic transmission fluid (ATF), which is the type of fluid used for lubricating the vehicle's powertrain.
  4. Although our mandate was primarily to identify the liquid that contaminated the vehicle's coolant, it is worth noting:
  5. • A failure (such as an internal leak) of a heat exchanger could explain the contamination of the coolant by automatic transmission fluid. However, according to two different workshops, no failure has been identified, and this hypothesis seems unlikely;
  6. • The addition of automatic transmission fluid to the coolant reservoir would also explain the observed contamination;
  7. • It seems unlikely to us that an individual would have accessed the cabin, opened the hood, removed the trimmings, added transmission fluid to the coolant reservoir, replaced the trimmings, and closed the hood, all without the insured's knowledge and solely for the purpose of vandalizing or sabotaging the vehicle;
  8. • Without being able to establish a direct link between this intervention and the observed contamination, it is worth noting that the coolant reservoir was filled by the Tesla Service Center in Laval less than two months before the first signs of anomalies related to the coolant appeared.

Both valves need replacing
*cries*
Update on mine. My car was on a ramp yesterday having a maxton rear valance put on..I noticed dripping from the front. It seemed to be water as no chemical odour. I rarely use air con but did have it on due to good weather. Is it possible its dripping due to moisture?
I've sent a pic to tesla service who have quoted me 500 quid which is basically 2.5 hours diagnostic work