Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger team sacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which shareholders were calling for dismantling of the entire Supercharger division?
The share price of Tesla is too high for a car company. It’s that high because it’s seen as an AI and robotics tech company. For Elon to grow the stock he has to double down on that which is exactly what he’s doing with the robotaxi thing. Selling cars generates them money to bankroll those other items but it’s those he has to focus on if he’s to keep the stock price high and get it even higher still. Cars are just a means to an end for that sadly.

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr
Tesla is something of a special case as the major shareholders are Elon and people close to him.

What he says, goes..
Not entirely. While Elon is he largest shareholder he is a long way from being a majority share holder. Last time I looked he held about 10-12%. Large financial institutions such as BlackRock, JP Morgan and Vanguard will hold more shares combined. You need to keep those guys happy, they will want to see pleasing numbers in the balance sheet every quarter, one way to get numbers looking better in he short term is by way of headcounts. They may having differing timescales on returns.It's how public companies work.

Reactions: init6 and MD70
The share price of Tesla is too high for a car company. It’s that high because it’s seen as an AI and robotics tech company. For Elon to grow the stock he has to double down on that which is exactly what he’s doing with the robotaxi thing. Selling cars generates them money to bankroll those other items but it’s those he has to focus on if he’s to keep the stock price high and get it even higher still. Cars are just a means to an end for that sadly.
I would say the shares are to high when compared to a legacy traditional car company. But Tesla is a disruptor, they are doing things that are upsetting the norm and not just in terms of robotaxis and AI but rather just as much in terms of engineering and manufacturing. They have thrown out the rule book on how you design and make cars.

I would say the shares are to high when compared to a legacy traditional car company. But Tesla is a disruptor, they are doing things that are upsetting the norm and not just in terms of robotaxis and AI but rather just as much in terms of engineering and manufacturing. They have thrown out the rule book on how you design and make cars.
Yes but that’s not why their share price was so high. Slightly new and cheaper ways to make cars doesn’t lead to you being valued at the levels they have. Plus the Chinese are copying most of those approaches and beating them in other ways so frankly when it comes to hardware, they are no longer super special and a long way ahead of the crowd.

Reactions: cwerdna and yessuz
Selling cars generates them money to bankroll those other items but it’s those he has to focus on if he’s to keep the stock price high and get it even higher still. Cars are just a means to an end for that sadly.
It is not just a means to an end, Model Y and 3 are the face of Tesla irrespective of his other business and shares.

This is last years business data:
  • Tesla’s total revenue for 2023 was $96.8 billion.
  • In 2023, Tesla had a market cap of $789.89 billion (103.07% higher than 2022’s $388.97 billion).
  • Tesla’s GAAP income for 2023 stood at $15 billion, with a staggering $7.9 billion from the fourth quarter only.
It is a 100billion business - that is the whole of iphone business globally. Not an easy task. Just for comparison Apple services (includes revenues from apps and other services) globally collected around 70billion last year.

Elon may want to grow the stock and improve the share prices but will not risk the cars. I think the SC move was a business decision and whole of the IT world is following him with redundencies and job cuts. IT industry is going thro’ a downturn and whoever sheds the extra work force can survive and compete. Lots of companies are doing this. It is not nice but these are business decisions and fortunatelyI don’t get to make these decisions. But he has a case and others are following him.

It is not just a means to an end, Model Y and 3 are the face of Tesla irrespective of his other business and shares.

This is last years business data:
  • Tesla’s total revenue for 2023 was $96.8 billion.
  • In 2023, Tesla had a market cap of $789.89 billion (103.07% higher than 2022’s $388.97 billion).
  • Tesla’s GAAP income for 2023 stood at $15 billion, with a staggering $7.9 billion from the fourth quarter only.
It is a 100billion business - that is the whole of iphone business globally. Not an easy task. Just for comparison Apple services (includes revenues from apps and other services) globally collected around 70billion last year.

Elon may want to grow the stock and improve the share prices but will not risk the cars. I think the SC move was a business decision and whole of the IT world is following him with redundencies and job cuts. IT industry is going thro’ a downturn and whoever sheds the extra work force can survive and compete. Lots of companies are doing this. It is not nice but these are business decisions and fortunatelyI don’t get to make these decisions. But he has a case and others are following him.
Over time that car business that generated lots of margin will become low margin and with the cost of having factories that might not run at full volume, could end up being a liability.

Not saying they will do it but I could see in a good few years time when they’ve cracked self driving and robotic’s say they’ll make far more money off that. They’ll spin off and sell the car business. Long way off but I could see it happening.

Over time that car business that generated lots of margin will become low margin and with the cost of having factories that might not run at full volume, could end up being a liability.

Not saying they will do it but I could see in a good few years time when they’ve cracked self driving and robotic’s say they’ll make far more money off that. They’ll spin off and sell the car business. Long way off but I could see it happening.
I have always assumed they would sell off the supercharger network one day. Charging is not likely to return the margins Tesla wants from a business so once it is all opened up and no longer a USP and driver of car sales and the transition to EVs is unstoppable it will have served its purpose and will be divested.

Reactions: Adopado
I have always assumed they would sell off the supercharger network one day. Charging is not likely to return the margins Tesla wants from a business so once it is all opened up and no longer a USP and driver of car sales and the transition to EVs is unstoppable it will have served its purpose and will be divested.
Could also paint the picture that flooding countries with chargers all over the place isn't maybe profitable. The solution hence as I've mentioned will come in the form of EV's with larger capacity batteries as chemistry improves, those will also charger faster and then we might not need anything more than maybe the same amount of sites as we have gas stations but just maybe with twice or three times the number of cars they can serve vs pumps. It'll allow them to be more profitable when it's less spread out and easier go service. Plus they'd have a shop, coffee and so on they can sell you.

You are probably right that they probably would sell it off at some point though ultimately in my opinion if it can make a margin and it's constantly required as it is, I'd keep it as a nice revenue stream.

robo what??? :DDDDD

Reactions: cwerdna
Mystery solved :rolleyes:

1715852433347.png

Zero evidence to back this up of course. I am not going to link to the "story" since I don't want to drive any additional traffic to the site

and yet, this is very, very accurate

remember, he wants massive cuts, and 50 bn package at the same time.

go figure
I don't dispute that but they are claiming it was because she was a woman. A woman he presumably hired and put in that role in the first place.
I am not saying he is not a misogynist but there appears zero evidence that her being a woman was a factor here.