Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Quincy, WA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the robot is out at night we are looking at prime crime time, and as you said, might scare people. Seems like it would be better to use the early mornings to spiff up the site for another busy day, this way if needed people can see it running from potential thieves and call 911.
We are so far away from having the software to do this. And it's likely illegal to arm robots or let them fight people in public - it should be illegal. The limitations of software understanding things in a somewhat controlled environment on the road is at best at a poor quality state, and this isn't a comment only on fsd, all the other ones are similar. They can see the edge of the road, they can see the center line and other cars with radar and vision, why can't they drive safely - because there are so many other things happening.

That's where Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics comes in:
  • First Law: A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • Second Law: A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • Third Law: A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
The temptation will be to get rid of the Third Law, so that the robot can protect itself, even if it has to harm a crook to do so. We can say, "Those guys are thieves who deserve what they get!", but that's a slippery slope.

The bots will have IR vision, so can clean up in the dark. Might scare someone charging late at night, though, so might need a sign saying "Beware of Bot", but that sounds like the bot is dangerous, so maybe "Robots Can Work at Night" or "Night Robots at Work". Maybe have them play happy Disney tunes or ice cream truck music to set the mood so people don't freak out. :cool: In the summer, it wouldn't be the Hollywood Tesla Diner, but they could hand out ice cream, too.

BTW, has anyone ever seen an ice cream truck at a SC? A Buc-ee's or Target or any other store probably wouldn't allow that, but maybe Tesla can hire a few for locations with no food (and who are security guards in disguise as well).
Really, IR vision? Tesla isn't using it for FSD so why would they use it on bots? That would be admitting that you need IR to see in the dark and why would a car need to see in the dark? Hmmmmmm....

Really, IR vision? ...
I should have said "could have IR vision". Stations are usually lit at night, but if thieves cut the lights to hide their thieving, then it would be dark and IR sees better in the dark. Bots are not cars, so have different use cases. One case is nighttime surveillance in dark places.

FSD doesn't need IR because the road is lit by your headlights. An interesting test would be to engage FSD and see if you can turn off the headlights. When I tested FSD I noticed that the light setting switched to Auto and (if I remember correctly) it was a dimmed blue, which I assume means you can't toggle it. Another test is to drive at night without any Autopilot and see if you can turn off the headlights. Haven't tried either test, but I regularly turn on the parking lights (which turns off the headlights), right after I stop and right before I shift to reverse and back into my garage at night - to prevent the headlights from shining on my neighbor's house.

Now if I could only disable the "UFO" in-reverse sound when in my driveway at home. I noticed a friend's 2018 Model X does NOT make any sound in reverse.

Last edited: