Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@lbowroom I have no idea about shoe sizes and all that horseshite. My passengers even feel the vibration in the floor and console, when their arm is against it. I’m certainly not going to suggest they wear different shoes and not to lean on the console…. 🤣
SC confirmed vibration and started with half shaft/CV joint replacement (both sides), 4-wheel alignment, and rebalancing all four tires. That all happened today and didn’t seem to resolve the vibration, as they said the car was not ready as it was expected it would be - by 4:45pm. They test drove it at 3pm (I can see the car rolling on the app, and I data log via self hosted TeslaMate). It when right back into the shop and has been in there, post repair test drive, for the last 2-3 hours. Not sure what the plan is next. New inverter? Drive Unit? It’s anyone’s guess at this point. Still think it’s more electrical, than mechanical - even emphasized that in my notes and when discussing with the tech during test drive.

@WilliamG @Rbats
Whelp, my Plaid was not returned to me late yesterday, as the problem persists. Was told it would be worked on over night, but no movement (via data logger or app) since 6pm. Return pushed to end of day today, but I suspect they are waiting for "next steps" direction from mothership Engineering... Never a dull moment with this bastard Plaid.

I just found this thread and YES I have the same problem! I'm so glad I'm not alone. It actually feels like I'm driving a gas car. It's a bunch of rumble from the front end of the car.

The throttle input has to be like 2%. SLIGHT. Usually when I want to coast at 45mph.

Reactions: impastu
“Airbags may not deploy properly…” “No immediate action is required if you own a Model S or Model X affected by this recall, and you may continue to drive your car.” - They may not work, but keep driving the PoS…. No thanks!
I just found this thread and YES I have the same problem! I'm so glad I'm not alone. It actually feels like I'm driving a gas car. It's a bunch of rumble from the front end of the car.

The throttle input has to be like 2%. SLIGHT. Usually when I want to coast at 45mph.

Yep, that’s it. Like a stick shift car that is in too high a gear at low RPM bogging down!

As promised, still no car. Sent this status to the Service manager.

“1) No loaner was waiting or available as confirmed, so they were going to get me the manager’s car, when he returned from another location in 60 minutes. I waited and he broke down (tow truck needed). Was then sent to Enterprise car rental

2). After confirming the vibration, the plan was to replace half shafts, alignment and wheel balance – and that I should plan to pick up my bastard at 4:45pm yesterday (11/10)

3). Got a msg around 4pm that the car was not ready, but it would be ready early today, as they were going to work on it over night (they didnt). They only completed rebalancing the tires installed at another SC a few weeks back and re tested the bastard car - the vibration was still there at 6pm on 11/10

4). Car was not touched today at all, as they don’t have a lift to put it up on (per the SC, communicated at 5pm)…. Citied they are a small shop and mine has to wait for a lift… (What was the appointment for then?)

5) No revised plan communicated to me as of 5pm today.

So, the drama to continue tomorrow…

@WilliamG

my car is dropped an inch with lowering links and default to low. I've never launched it or exiting a a corner with the suspension raised. Maybe a factor? Links went on a less than a couple hundred miles in
Possibly. Have you checked the inside of your rear tires? Lowering the car increases the negative camber and S/X do not have adjustment for that (Mercedes heritage - not sure how it is on the redesigned S).

I had some vibration between 25 and 40 mph. Checked the tires (they were already balanced/rotated to try to resolve the issue) and they were a bit under inflated. Brought them up to specs and it seems that the vibration disappeared or, at least, significantly reduced.
In general, based on my experience, SC are not very good at diagnostics.

• Informative
I had some vibration between 25 and 40 mph. Checked the tires (they were already balanced/rotated to try to resolve the issue) and they were a bit under inflated. Brought them up to specs and it seems that the vibration disappeared or, at least, significantly reduced.
In general, based on my experience, SC are not very good at diagnostics.
Agreed. I did the tire thing prior to taking it in. Was not a balance or inflation problem for me.

Reactions: Boza and impastu
@lbowroom I have no idea about shoe sizes and all that horseshite. My passengers even feel the vibration in the floor and console, when their arm is against it. I’m certainly not going to suggest they wear different shoes and not to lean on the console…. 🤣
SC confirmed vibration and started with half shaft/CV joint replacement (both sides), 4-wheel alignment, and rebalancing all four tires. That all happened today and didn’t seem to resolve the vibration, as they said the car was not ready as it was expected it would be - by 4:45pm. They test drove it at 3pm (I can see the car rolling on the app, and I data log via self hosted TeslaMate). It when right back into the shop and has been in there, post repair test drive, for the last 2-3 hours. Not sure what the plan is next. New inverter? Drive Unit? It’s anyone’s guess at this point. Still think it’s more electrical, than mechanical - even emphasized that in my notes and when discussing with the tech during test drive.

@WilliamG @Rbats

Well, got the car back, and so fr, so good.... Looks like the 2nd generation half shafts might do the trick. Details attached...

BE131978-D116-4C33-8ACC-08C4CC7D4212.jpeg
288EA15C-09D6-4CA6-8896-5A6A199A523A.jpeg

@WilliamG @Rbats
@lbowroom

Well, got the car back, and so fr, so good.... Looks like the 2nd generation half shafts might do the trick. Details attached...
Wow! A fix for an engineering issue! I would have never expected this from Tesla!

But in all seriousness I think this is the first time I have heard of this actually being resolved! I will refer to this thread if I have the same issue.

I am dumbfounded. I was sure you'd get the car back with the issue still present. Adding to my list for next service visit...

@asimo3089 So was I.... Now, to be fair, I only drove it 20 miles, and the issue wasn't present 100% of the time, before service. So, I expect it will return. I'm hoping not, and hold out a little hope, as the shafts are tagged gen 2. Hopefully, they removed gen 1's from my bastard Plaid!

In closing, don't be surprised if I report a return of the vibration in the next day or so. I certainly won't (be surprised)!

@WilliamG