Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pedestrian Warning System (PWS) Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my appointment for tomorrow has been cancelled. I’ve been told the retrofit only applies to vehicles from 2019-2020 and not 2021. I’m pretty sure I’ve ended up riding the Tesla service incompetence train where they’ve forgotten there was the first batch of 2021 that didn’t come with the speaker. Unfortunately, I wasn’t in a position to argue when I received the call so I’ve instead replied to their message in the app and asked them to look into it further. However, I’m assuming they’ll stick with the party line of “computer says no.”

If anyone with a 2021 model manages to get this retrofitted, please let me know so I can go back to Tesla and tell them it can be done.

“Computer says no.”
80A39651-8F3B-427C-8376-FFCA5311D3AA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Anyone with Aug or Sep 2019 deliveries been accepted/refused this? If so, what was your VIN? 5th July cutoff is a bit tight for some of these dates so wonder if we can narrow down on the VIN? I'm assuming that the order computer is still saying no, no matter what the vehicle?

Perhaps this might help:

If you have the grill underneath the car, and the wiring harness taped up, then you should be able to have it.

Unfortunately if Tesla are being difficult it might require you to do some legwork and remove your frunk shell to find (and take photos) of the taped up cable, and then update your service job with the new info.

I don't know how they can know definitively that your car can't have it, unless they look at it and check to see whether the grill and cable are missing. I'm not aware of Tesla removing the taped up cable between 2020 and 2022 when PWS became standard fit.

As previously mentioned the website told me my car was incompatible.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo
@Cardo
This is what I did: time ago checked if the car have the grill and the cable (very easy), after I ordered the speaker. Open a ticket for "PSW and Boombox activation" done.
Today was done within 2 hours.
Problem I have is they’re running my VIN through the system and it’s not on the list for the retrofit, so they’re blocking me at the point of reviewing the ticket. Is yours a 2021 model?

They can't lift the car due the body kit. The speaker was fitted by me. And charged £30 for software activation

I’m thinking of purchasing speaker and fitting myself, even if I purchase direct from Tesla. This would save on fitting charge as I am more than capable of doing that myself, although if full retrofit service was kinder to warranty (ie self fitted speaker was blamed on breaking the car) may still consider that.

Do you think the £30 is a regular ask or was it something more unusual that they might be reluctant to do?

I’m guessing that activation could be done remotely?

Just curious, but what was the bodywork kit that was causing problems?

Remotely in the sense that a ranger can do this? Yes. Remotely as in “can you activate this over the internet” - probably not. Gateway configuration changes need someone to physically plug in, as far as I know.

I thought about purchasing the speaker but as you say - I wanted the warranty on it. £30 (+£44 for speaker) vs £185 is quite a big difference if your handy with the spanners though.

• Helpful
I’ve asked the service team if they’d activate the software if I fit it myself. If they say yes then I’ll order a speaker and fit it.

Not bothered about warranty because if it breaks I could potentially order another speaker and refit myself and it would still be cheaper than the retrofit service.

Not bothered about warranty because if it breaks I could potentially order another speaker and refit myself and it would still be cheaper than the retrofit service.
The issue is not the PWS breaking which, as you say is a relatively cheap and easy replacement. The issue is if you subsequently have a fault elsewhere, and they try and blame it on the PWS. I know many, including us, have made third party modifications to our car, but as some have found, it too easy to blame that modification for a get out of warranty fault. I know PWS is probably just a couple of screws and a wired plug, but I'm sure someone could still blame it for an electrics fault and life is too short to argue for the sake of saving a few £ on fitting. However, something easily reversable and a saving of £££ fitting, its worth thinking about, even if its just for the principle.

Not that I could fit a modern one to high standard (have done in the past), but we have a car on order along with a tow bar. We specifically wanted the garage that we bought the car to fit it (another garage said that they wouldn't and we should go to a third party fitter) as whilst it doesn't form part of the cars warranty, it will mean that if there was say an electrics fault found on the car, that fault would still be covered under warranty.

The issue is not the PWS breaking which, as you say is a relatively cheap and easy replacement. The issue is if you subsequently have a fault elsewhere, and they try and blame it on the PWS. I know many, including us, have made third party modifications to our car, but as some have found, it too easy to blame that modification for a get out of warranty fault. I know PWS is probably just a couple of screws and a wired plug, but I'm sure someone could still blame it for an electrics fault and life is too short to argue for the sake of saving a few £ on fitting. However, something easily reversable and a saving of £££ fitting, its worth thinking about, even if its just for the principle.

Not that I could fit a modern one to high standard (have done in the past), but we have a car on order along with a tow bar. We specifically wanted the garage that we bought the car to fit it (another garage said that they wouldn't and we should go to a third party fitter) as whilst it doesn't form part of the cars warranty, it will mean that if there was say an electrics fault found on the car, that fault would still be covered under warranty.
I get that but I’ve found with experience, it’s not the case.

I have an aftermarket powered tailgate and it’s never caused a problem when getting the car serviced, even though they’ve had to work around it sometimes. My charge port stopped working last week and they could have easily blamed it on my aftermarket kit and asked me to cough up some cash to fix. Same with the wiring loom fix. They’re actually quite reasonable when diagnosing faults when I’ve dealt with them so this to me is relatively minor and probably no risk to warranty.

But, of course, YMMV.