Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Now my car slows when approaching a green light!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the new software update, my MY will slow when approaching a green light when using TACC -- apparently it's designed to do that, and I have to give the car "permission" to continue through the intersection or it will slow to a stop. What idiot made the decision that cruise control shouldn't allow me to pass freely through an intersection on a green light? It's infuriating; now I have to prove to my car that I'm awake at every stoplight on my journey.

If this is the way Tesla thinks cruise control (even TACC) should work, I'm already planning my next car purchase, and it won't be a Tesla. I was hoping it was new optional thing that I could turn off, but apparently not.

No idea what "new update" means, since there is no number attached to it. With that being said, on my wifes model Y that has just TACC, the last software update (2024.14.6) pushed the FSD 30 day trial, which her car had not had yet, AND ALSO TURNED IT ON.

City streets is navigation is a subset of FSD. You should not be in TACC on city streets where there are lights, and FSD with city streets acknowledges lights. Your probably in FSD, even if you didnt turn it on, since as I said, the last update my wife got downloaded the trial AND TURNED IT ON. I had to go in there and de select it since we are not interested in it for her car at all. I have purchased FSD on my car and dont use it, so I definitely dont want her using it.

Anyway, check in the menus, FSD is probably on.

All my Teslas have FSD, except the Cybertruck which still has the same TACC as you. In any case there is an option in the Autopilot menu called "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control (Beta)". You need to turn that off.
IMG_2624.jpeg

Since the new software update, my MY will slow when approaching a green light when using TACC
-- apparently it's designed to do that, and I have to give the car "permission" to continue through the intersection or it will slow to a stop.

I mostly use FSD, so I don't know about TACC, but I noticed for many years that:
- FSD always has a tendency to slow down when approaching a green light, unless I have my feet on the accelerator,​
- and especially when there are pedestrians or bicycles near a corner of an intersection.​

What idiot made the decision that cruise control shouldn't allow me to pass freely through an intersection on a green light?
It's infuriating; now I have to prove to my car that I'm awake at every stoplight on my journey.

I assume that this is a safety issue, so the vehicule is already prepared for making an emergency stop.

I have been riding bicycles all my life in a city, and I often experienced that drivers often didn't noticed me,
or saw me but thought that they will have time to pass, and will cut me off when making a turn at a traffic light.

So now by reflex I always have tendency to slow down when passing through a green light,
something that had already prevented me from getting in an accident.

You have to be also aware that in some juridictions, bicycles can cross a street at a red light, if there is no traffic...

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
pushed the FSD 30 day trial, which her car had not had yet, AND ALSO TURNED IT ON.
That makes sense, except that I deselected it -- in fact, I keep getting a popup tile when I get in the vehicle, encouraging me to engage it. Very annoying, like a sales pitch.

Still, that gives me hope that it will only last a month.
So now by reflex I always have tendency to slow down when passing through a green light
Slowing down is different than slowing to a stop.

That makes sense, except that I deselected it -- in fact, I keep getting a popup tile when I get in the vehicle, encouraging me to engage it. Very annoying, like a sales pitch.
I double checked......It seems I might have double clicked the "Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control" toggle - which happens sometimes because of my intention tremour), and it was still toggled on. FSD (Supervised) was toggled off.

I've now corrected the issue. Thanks.

• Funny
Reactions: Yelobird