Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance news

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I completed my test drive in a M3P (blue) in Brisbane and wow – what a blast. Apologies for wall of text and I’m not a reviewer person just your average Joe. I’m sure there will be hundreds of you-tubers that will go into a hell of a lot more detail than below.

Firstly, regards my previous post about the seats being perhaps a little to tight on the base – at first noticeable but after driving the car for a few minutes you kind of get used to it – at least I did so no problems there.

Having said that the car I drove did have an odd clunking noise in the seat coming from what seemed like between my shoulder blades. Had nothing to do with the ventilated seats operating as I had it turned on and off and the noise was present in both scenarios. Could be just a minor quality thing in their demo car to be fixed by service.

The ride comfort was excellent – almost the same as our existing M3LR (non-highland). This was a good thing because I was worried about those huge 20” wheel. Prior to the M3LR, my wife had a Golf R-Line with 19”s with sports suspension and the ride in that was horrid – felt every bump – not so with the M3P. Further, the test drive loop in Brisbane takes you on very bumpy and IMHO horrid roads and it handled all this very well – no discomfort issues at all.

Now the fun part, and I thought our M3LR was fast. Hmm…now I know what fast really means in car terms. Yes, this thing is an absolute beast. Certainly, the fastest car I have ever driven (and I have had a lot of cars).

The acceleration is super fun and literally left me laughing out loud (to myself) every time – what a hoot. Some reviewers are saying the car just isn’t fun – I have no idea what they are talking about, but then again, they get access to all the toys like BMW M3s etc. They always seem to compare this car with the BMW for some reason… Is the M3 the benchmark in this segment (mid-sized sports sedans)?

Anyhow at least from my experience, this was a fun ride to say the least.

The standard acceleration mode (not insane mode) felt about the same as our M3LR – still fast enough to put a smile on my face (and it still does every time I drive our LR).

Handling wise, well the small amount of time they give you for the test drive wasn’t enough to give any kind of meaningful coverage suffice to say that I felt it was very planted on the road at any of the speed I got to.

Another thing that I guess is a side benefit is that you can really hear that new performance motor in the rear going nuts with any kind of acceleration. Very noticeable but in a very nice way – kind of sounds like a spaceship or something kicking into warp drive – sounds nice in my opinion.

HW4.0 (with 5MP cameras) as compared to our 1.2? I think in our current car is very nice. The traffic display (with all the objects) is far less ‘wobbly’ than our current model and the images from the cameras are top notch. The car of course does not have any sensors. A camera-based top-down view would have been nice. Even our dog taxi (Prado) has that feature.

The indicator buttons I picked up on almost immediately and was not a problem however there was a few times I went for the stalk and go nothing but air 😊

Shifting in P, N, R, D – all piece of cake – no problems. They even have the backup mode (in case the screen fails) in the roof section near the rear-view mirror – another nice to have.

Sound system – Awesome! The demo car equaliser was left in too much low-end base so I flattened the range and sounded fantastic. I also noted that Disney+ was not present on the media playback options however the Tesla rep said you can just download it – Elon had it removed. The net is full of the reasons why.

So wrapping up – yeah can hardly wait for mine. Almost tempted to spring for the 3K acceleration boost on our M3LR in the interim …. Hmm …

So, I completed my test drive in a M3P (blue) in Brisbane and wow – what a blast. Apologies for wall of text and I’m not a reviewer person just your average Joe. I’m sure there will be hundreds of you-tubers that will go into a hell of a lot more detail than below.

Firstly, regards my previous post about the seats being perhaps a little to tight on the base – at first noticeable but after driving the car for a few minutes you kind of get used to it – at least I did so no problems there.

Having said that the car I drove did have an odd clunking noise in the seat coming from what seemed like between my shoulder blades. Had nothing to do with the ventilated seats operating as I had it turned on and off and the noise was present in both scenarios. Could be just a minor quality thing in their demo car to be fixed by service.

The ride comfort was excellent – almost the same as our existing M3LR (non-highland). This was a good thing because I was worried about those huge 20” wheel. Prior to the M3LR, my wife had a Golf R-Line with 19”s with sports suspension and the ride in that was horrid – felt every bump – not so with the M3P. Further, the test drive loop in Brisbane takes you on very bumpy and IMHO horrid roads and it handled all this very well – no discomfort issues at all.

Now the fun part, and I thought our M3LR was fast. Hmm…now I know what fast really means in car terms. Yes, this thing is an absolute beast. Certainly, the fastest car I have ever driven (and I have had a lot of cars).

The acceleration is super fun and literally left me laughing out loud (to myself) every time – what a hoot. Some reviewers are saying the car just isn’t fun – I have no idea what they are talking about, but then again, they get access to all the toys like BMW M3s etc. They always seem to compare this car with the BMW for some reason… Is the M3 the benchmark in this segment (mid-sized sports sedans)?

Anyhow at least from my experience, this was a fun ride to say the least.

The standard acceleration mode (not insane mode) felt about the same as our M3LR – still fast enough to put a smile on my face (and it still does every time I drive our LR).

Handling wise, well the small amount of time they give you for the test drive wasn’t enough to give any kind of meaningful coverage suffice to say that I felt it was very planted on the road at any of the speed I got to.

Another thing that I guess is a side benefit is that you can really hear that new performance motor in the rear going nuts with any kind of acceleration. Very noticeable but in a very nice way – kind of sounds like a spaceship or something kicking into warp drive – sounds nice in my opinion.

HW4.0 (with 5MP cameras) as compared to our 1.2? I think in our current car is very nice. The traffic display (with all the objects) is far less ‘wobbly’ than our current model and the images from the cameras are top notch. The car of course does not have any sensors. A camera-based top-down view would have been nice. Even our dog taxi (Prado) has that feature.

The indicator buttons I picked up on almost immediately and was not a problem however there was a few times I went for the stalk and go nothing but air 😊

Shifting in P, N, R, D – all piece of cake – no problems. They even have the backup mode (in case the screen fails) in the roof section near the rear-view mirror – another nice to have.

Sound system – Awesome! The demo car equaliser was left in too much low-end base so I flattened the range and sounded fantastic. I also noted that Disney+ was not present on the media playback options however the Tesla rep said you can just download it – Elon had it removed. The net is full of the reasons why.

So wrapping up – yeah can hardly wait for mine. Almost tempted to spring for the 3K acceleration boost on our M3LR in the interim …. Hmm …
Nice write up mate! Will have to check one out myself when I get a chance.

I also just did a brissy drive haha.

It was a bit rainy, cool and damp but I took it out to the highway and got a 0-100kph on my draggy gps.

75% soc, 100kg driver.

0-100 in 3.34, 3.14 with roll-out exactly as claimed.

No doubts it would be faster in better conditions.

Unfortunate that we don't get the time or place to push it a bit on a test drive but it's understandable.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240517_134947_dragy.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240517_134947_dragy.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 9
I also just did a brissy drive haha.

It was a bit rainy, cool and damp but I took it out to the highway and got a 0-100kph on my draggy gps.

75% soc, 100kg driver.

0-100 in 3.34, 3.14 with roll-out exactly as claimed.

No doubts it would be faster in better conditions.

Unfortunate that we don't get the time or place to push it a bit on a test drive but it's understandable.
That’s pretty quick! Suprised they are enabling insane mode or whatever they are calling it on test drives!

Almost tempted to spring for the 3K acceleration boost on our M3LR in the interim
You should get it and test it out, and just refund it after. I have m3lr with AB and would be interested to see if it really is noticeable going to the new P

I know the old P pulled harder off the line than mine but once they got going they were pretty much identical

Still, after seeing the value of mine drop 50% in less than 2 years I’m not upgrading, it’s just silly and I think depreciation will keep hitting these cars hard

Thanks for the detailed M3P test drive review, could you also please let us know the app used to capture the 0-100 times.

No problems. I use a device and app called Dragy. The device is a small hi-res GPS box that talks to the app and records the data. Very easy to use. Also, the app is good to test accuracy of your cars spedo - used it to determine that our Prado is 3 k/h over actual,

Reactions: Stan1

I love all the new Model 3 performance features, but more than anything, its just a little bit of a joke that the PERFORMANCE model never came with active suspension, sports seats and some visual changes. This been the sport model mold for any manufacturer since the beginning of automotive time. And I'm still going to banging on about the lack of black headliner and a dedicated "sport button" (TBH, this could be right on the screen).

So, I took the new Model 3 Performance for an hour drive today....well well, what an improvement over my 2020 Model 3 Performance (and I have spent quite a few $'s on coilover dampers).

Extremely smooth, quiet, refined....really very happy I placed an order.

However, I have changed my interior from white to black...I could not find a white interior (RW/LR with the white seats, so has the vents) that could be cleaned...I talked to a few sales reps and they said they're near impossible to clean in the vented section. The solid white material is easy enough to clean, the vent area is not, so always just looks darker/dirty in this section which is obviously highlighted by the cleaner bright sold material white parts.

I love all the new Model 3 performance features, but more than anything, its just a little bit of a joke that the PERFORMANCE model never came with active suspension, sports seats and some visual changes. This been the sport model mold for any manufacturer since the beginning of automotive time. And I'm still going to banging on about the lack of black headliner and a dedicated "sport button" (TBH, this could be right on the screen).
I mean, they have explained why.

The early days of the M3 ramp up was hell and making the production lines very different just wasn't a logistical option at the time. It's not like today where they make money on every car and have the mature production capacity to do it.

You should get it and test it out, and just refund it after. I have m3lr with AB and would be interested to see if it really is noticeable going to the new P

I know the old P pulled harder off the line than mine but once they got going they were pretty much identical

Still, after seeing the value of mine drop 50% in less than 2 years I’m not upgrading, it’s just silly and I think depreciation will keep hitting these cars hard
As a point of reference, below is the best run of our M3LR (non-highland). Driver 110kg (yeah yeah ...) This is without acceleration boost.

View attachment 1048175

Here is Acceleration Boost on my M3LR for reference as well. It is pretty quick and not far behind the M3P by the looks.

1716137211479.jpeg

I did this back in 2020 in my M3LR with AB. I have a Highland M3P ordered, but really a Highland M3LR+AB (when/if) would be a better fit for me on country roads.

Attachments

• 1716137133446.jpeg
    1716137133446.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: fobo and Serza
Thanks for posting that. Looks spot on as Tesla say it gives you 0.5s better 0-100 times. Looks like about 0.2g force improvement (using eyeball method) as well. Did you 'feel' the difference before/after you applied the AB ?

Yes I could definitely feel the difference after installing the upgrade. For me it was money well spent as I have had it for >4 years now. Shame the AB upgrade does not retain the “normal” drive mode though, for comparisons. It gets replaced by “sport”.

M3LRabM3LR(AB)abM3P (H)a
0-60
2.47​
0.74​
2.15​
0.42​
1.73​
0-70
2.89​
0.42​
0.82​
2.52​
0.37​
0.45​
2.07​
0.34​
0-80
3.35​
0.46​
0.91​
2.93​
0.41​
0.49​
2.44​
0.37​
0-90
3.91​
0.56​
1.05​
3.38​
0.45​
0.52​
2.86​
0.42​
0-100
4.47​
0.56​
1.13​
3.88​
0.5​
0.54​
3.34​
0.48​
a = Delta from previous time
b = Delta compared to M3P

Did some quick numbers.
Column 'a' shows the difference in time for the same car in 10m steps after the initial 60m. You can see that each car slows down slightly after that initial launch. You can also see that beyond initial launch (0-60) there isn't much between M3LR and M3LRAB. I have also read this that M3LR vs M3LRAB 0-100 comes down to who launches better.
Column 'b' shows the difference in time directly between each car. Big difference in the 0-60 time then the gap becomes a lot smaller.