Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How worried should I be about buy a higher mileage M3 LR (70k+)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am buying my first Tesla (Model 3 LR) and the bulk of cars I am seeing in my budget are rather higher mileage than I would like - a lot are 70k+ miles. I have seen the stories of cars making astronomical miles but am wondering if those are the exception, with the norm being a lot of big bills. Any thoughts?

Reactions: MD70
My feedback would be basically the same as you already received in the thread you created in the UK subforum, here:

Reactions: Lindenwood
My feedback would be basically the same as you already received in the thread you created in the UK subforum, here:

Thanks, but in that thread didn't really deal with higher mileage. When I wrote that I was assuming I would be able to buy a Model 3 that still had at least some basic warranty left. I guess what I am trying to figure out is if I'm likely to face big bills on non-batttery/drivetrain components over the next few years, say 70-100k miles.

There are less parts on a model 3 than a model S but when they break they can be expensive. In general, I dont think they have failing parts as much as an ICE vehicle of similar age / mileage, but when there is an issue, they tend to be expensive, and in general you can only take it to Tesla for repairs.

There are very few third party shops that work on Teslas as far as repairs.

As a 2nd or third car around town it makes sense to me, but as a "my budget only allows me to buy this car and it will be my only one" I dont think it makes much sense at all.

My '20 M3LR has 63k miles and has cost me nothing but tires and a 12v battery. I'm starting to hear some front suspension noises, so I suspect some investment is in my future. My car looks pretty close to new. If you can find one like it, and the price is right, go for it!

Reactions: navguy12
My Performance 3 has over 100k miles on it and people are straight up shocked to hear that, looking at it. As far as repairs, there’s been virtually nothing in those 5.5k years. Less than any car I’ve ever owned.

I wouldn’t think twice about it, especially since you have almost 50k miles left on the drivetrain/battery. Not saying Teslas are bulletproof, but EVs in general tend to have substantially less moving parts.

I'm at 85k miles so far on my 2019 M3 LR, I've only spent money on cabin air filters, tires and have an upcoming 12v replacement. Got the famous suspension squeak so I'll be looking to inject some grease into them soon.

Reactions: Gasaraki
93k checking in, bought at 90.
12V replaced just before purchase.
No front suspension issues, although possibly already replaced, don't know history.
A few trim plugs replaced in boot and door pillar, apparently very common as originals were naff.
Rear suspension knuckles have moved a bit but settled, possibly an issue down the line but drives fine for now and my local garage said they'd do the work if I got the parts through the app.
9% battery degradation.
Overall very happy with the condition.
I was looking at standard range but this popped up at a steal. Upgraded sound system and extra power is tons of fun.

My 5 ½ yr old 3 has 66k miles. It's been mechanically good. Been to a service center for 2 things, the upper control arm squeak, and the passenger airbag alert. All fixed under warranty. I just put on my 3rd set of tires. Last set lasted 28k. I've had a 12v battery change. My HV battery has 100% of its original range. It still feels tight, like when it was new. I'd have no issues buying it.

Reactions: Gasaraki
100% of original range at 66k miles?! That's surprising. I am at 85k miles, original range is 310 miles. At 80%, I have an estimated 215 miles of range which is 86.77% of its original range(assuming I did the math correctly).

100% of original range at 66k miles?! That's surprising. I am at 85k miles, original range is 310 miles. At 80%, I have an estimated 215 miles of range which is 86.77% of its original range(assuming I did the math correctly).
I'm surprised by this. I thought all of them lost capacity over time/mileage? Fleet stats would suggest at least a few percent even if treated well, no? Have you run a test eg Tessie?

From Stats:
IMG_E6501351CC43-1.jpeg

From SMT:
IMG_4386.jpeg

There's been some aging, from 77.8kWh, which is an estimated figure, down to NFP showing 76.3kWh, still in the top buffer, so it's going to show the original 310 miles at 100%.

• Informative
Reactions: Foxsbiscuits
2018 M3 LR purchased in 2020 with 60k miles and ~9% battery degradation. I’m now at 110k and ~11% degradation. At 100k I replaced the suspension with coilovers. The lower control arm bushings are a common wear item. I just started tracking the car and made minor upgrades to the brakes and replaced parts for camber and toe adjustability, and sharpen the steering. I have no worries regarding longevity and plan to run this car to 200k and beyond.