Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How many service visits in 6 months of ownership is too many before asking for a buyback

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You’re probably better off contacting a lemon law lawyer, and see what kind of case you have.

A buyback would be totally dependent on the Tesla-machine’s timeline and processes.
Yeah, I’m not in a rush but I would assume since Tesla has to pay lawyer’s fees, their internal process wouldn’t be too arduous but then again I am familiar with their customer service.

To further complicate matters, I irreversibly transferred fsd to this car from my Model Y (which I still own) so the ‘right’ thing would be to get it back, but again, this is Tesla so wishful thinking.

their internal process wouldn’t be too arduous
I forgot who posted it, but it wasn’t too long ago that several folks shared their buyback process. I think a couple had it approved quickly, then it took weeks/months of follow-ups for Tesla to pickup the car and/or to make payments as agreed upon. From Tesla’s perspective, buybacks are way better than lemons (and branded titles).

I believe having the service center agree with you and on your side was the big requirement. After that, the machine takes over.

I forgot who posted it, but it wasn’t too long ago that several folks shared their buyback process. I think a couple had it approved quickly, then it took weeks/months of follow-ups for Tesla to pickup the car and/or to make payments as agreed upon. From Tesla’s perspective, buybacks are way better than lemons (and branded titles).

I believe having the service center agree with you and on your side was the big requirement. After that, the machine takes over.
So you’re saying they have an internal buyback program that bypasses the lemon process? Makes sense I guess but it’s news to me.

I’ve had one MX loaner that had a lemon label on the door which seems better for them than trying to sell a highly devalued car.

So you’re saying they have an internal buyback program that bypasses the lemon process? Makes sense I guess but it’s news to me.

I’ve had one MX loaner that had a lemon label on the door which seems better for them than trying to sell a highly devalued car.
Simply speaking, manufacturer buybacks are between you and the manufacturer only, no attorneys involved. You will have to be your own PM and advocate at this point.

Invoking the lemon law, courts, arbitration or other such legal proceeding, is a much lengthier process and Tesla will immediately clam up as soon as they are notified of it. All comms will be between attorneys. Full documentation is key. All conversations, emails, service records and such must be presented and detailed.

I am simplifying of course, and you’ll need to do your due diligence as to which course of action is best for you… good luck!

That would not be unusual. Bypassing the lemon law(suit) process when repurchasing a "lemon" vehicle costs less than going through the lemon law(suit) process where lawyers also get paid. So if the car falls under the state lemon law, the vehicle company has some incentive to make a repurchase offer based on the state lemon law without the customer having to go through a lawyer.

Such a thing would not be unique to Tesla. GM repurchased (without the customers bringing lawyers into the picture) lots of Chevrolet Bolts that (at the time of repurchase) did not have a fix for the battery fire recall available. The repurchased cars eventually had their batteries replaced and were resold into the used car market, with "manufacturer repurchase" or some such on their titles (with a note of the GM recall number for the battery fire recall showing up in Carfax / Autocheck type title history reports).

For those in California, the lemon law presumptions on "reasonable" number of repair attempts are listed here: https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf
  • Same problem after four or more attempts.
  • Two unsuccessful attempts for a problem that could cause death or serious bodily injury if driven.
  • More than 30 days out of service for new-vehicle-warranty-covered repairs.
The repurchase price for lemon law repurchases in California is original purchase_price * (120,000 - mileage_at_first_repair_attempt) / 120,000.

Since your location is listed as NJ, you may want to take a look at New Jersey's lemon law, assuming that NJ is New Jersey.

Thank you. I’ve already read this. The whole thing is deliberately murky, with words open to interpretation such as “substantial”. The fact that I’ve already been not in possession of my vehicle for more than 20 days in 6 months of ownership is substantial to me. But I’m choosing not to ask for that now and wait for 1 more chance.